[SPORTS] Apolo Ohno and Hyo-Jung Kim (w/bio)

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29 9:54 PM
      Apolo Anton Ohno won two races and teamed with Hyo-Jung Kim
      (http://isu.cyberscoreboard.com/interlynx/index.asp?
      SUBSPORTID=5&PERSONID=39059&VIEW=BIO&SCOPE=BIO) to give the United
      States a sweep in the 1,000-meter event at the World Cup short-track
      speedskating tournament at Madison, Wis.
      http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-newswire29nov29,1,2971014.story

      Ohno won the 1,000 meters in 1:26.914 and then won the 3,000-meter
      event in 5:13.504. He originally placed second in the longer race
      but took the gold after winner Mathieu Turcotte of Canada was
      disqualified for impeding another skater.

      ============

      Hyo Jung Kim taking short track to Italy
      By Rebecca Kruse // USOC Media Services // November 17, 2004
      http://www.olympic-usa.org/11478_27991.htm

      Moving away from family is not an easy step, but for Hyo Jung Kim,
      it's even harder with an entire ocean separating the young teenager
      from her parents. With Kim in the United States and her parents in
      Korea, she makes many long-distance phone calls to stay in touch.
      "My parents have always supported me," said Kim, an only child. "I
      miss them and I know they are praying for me."

      A native of Seoul, South Korea, Kim began speedskating when she was
      11 years old. After moving to Fullerton, Calif., she continued the
      sport and traveled to Colorado Springs, Colo., just nine months ago
      to train at the Olympic Training Center.

      "I started speedskating on my own in Korea," said Kim. "I had it in
      P.E. class when I was in elementary school."

      Kim, who turned 16 earlier this month, is preparing for her next
      World Cup Short Track competition in Madison, Wis., Nov. 26-28. With
      her international debut this past August, she has amazed the
      speedskating world by placing second at the 2004 U.S. Short Track
      Championships.

      At her first World Cup in October, Kim, who competes on the junior
      and senior level, placed ninth in the 1,500m, 11th in the 1,000m and
      16th in the 500m in Harbin, China. One week later at the second
      World Cup in Beijing, China, she improved with an eighth-place
      performance in the 1,000m and finished 10th in the 500m. Following
      her results at the first and second World Cups, Kim was satisfied,
      but noted there is room for improvement.

      "I was pretty happy," said Kim, who was ranked sixth overall at the
      Beijing competition, "but I need more practice. The first and second
      World Cups were a good experience for me. My goal was to finish
      10th, so I was pleased."

      Qualifying at the American Cup 1 in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., Nov. 13-
      14, for the third and fourth World Cups, Kim expects a higher
      outcome, hoping to make the finals in the 1,500m and 3,000m relay
      and the semifinals in the 1,000m and 500m.

      "I want to finish better than I did at the first and second World
      Cups," said Kim. "And I want to be smarter competing and make the
      finals."

      For Kim, reaching her goals is important. And as she looks down the
      road to the 2006 Olympic Winter Games in Turin, Italy, an even
      bigger challenge awaits her. The Olympic Games have been sketched in
      Kim's mind for several years, but now it's a more realistic vision
      for her.

      "When I was 14 years old, I knew I wanted to make it to the
      Olympics," said Kim. "During hard practices, I say, `I have to do
      thisÂ…it's my goal.'"

      Kim's determination has not only helped her succeed in speedskating,
      but it has made it easier for her to overcome obstacles along the
      way. Suffering a shin injury last August, she kept her positive
      attitude and with a careful recovery, she was back in her skates in
      no time.

      "It was from too much running," said Kim. "I rested for a month and
      a half and started training again little by little."

      So far, Kim's favorite competition of her career was her second
      World Cup last month. It wasn't for her exceptional finish, but
      because she came face to face with a familiar opponent.

      "I was competing against China's Yang Yang (A)," said Kim. "She was
      my goal, because when I was very young, around 10 years old, I saw
      her on television, and I knew I wanted to compete against her."

      In the 1,500m race where Kim finished 11th, Yang Yang (A), who won
      China's first-ever winter Olympic gold medal in Salt Lake in 2002,
      was disqualified for impeding.

      Kim, a 10th grader, takes correspondence courses on the Internet to
      keep up with school. With training and schoolwork, she says the most
      important thing for her right now is practice. However, when time
      permits she enjoys reading and listening to music.

      Prior to each competition, Kim is full of excitement like many
      athletes before a major contest, but she tries to focus on mind
      control.

      "I just think how I can compete better and I just try to relax,"
      said Kim.

      Kim is excited for the opportunity to see her parents again in
      March. But until then, Kim will keep lacing up her skates, racing
      for the USA and making her move towards Italy.

      =========

      Hyo-Jung Kim
      http://www.usspeedskating.org/rosters/Kim,%20Hyo-Jung.html

      Height: 5-6
      Weight: 122
      Born: 11/6/88
      Birthplace: Seoul, South Korea
      Hometown: Fullerton, Calif.
      Residence: Colorado Springs, Colo.
      School: Home School
      Club: DeMorra Ice Club
      Association: Southern California Speed Skating Association
      Program: USOTC Resident Training Program
      Coach: Li Yan

      ==========

      Kim scales the top South Korean helps industry reach its peak
      by David Kilburn
      http://www2.gol.com/users/kilburn/mhkimpeaks.htm

      SEOUL - Myung-Ha Kim climbs the mountain behind his house once or
      twice a week to find a quiet spot to sit and meditate for a few
      hours. "It's when I can refresh my mind and think about the future
      of the agency and the advertising industry," he said.

      The future seems bright for Mr. Kim, president of Korad Ogilvy &
      Mather, winner last month of the $31 million Daewoo Motor account.

      But the Daewoo win was also a personal achievement for Mr. Kim, the
      55-year-old pioneer of South Korean advertising who helped build
      Asia's largest advertising market outside Japan.

      "He has shown a very human side of his nature by going out of his
      way to help people in solving personal problems," said a co-worker.

      Mr. Kim has the appearance of a leader. Soft-spoken and warm with a
      flexible, inquisitive mind and a deep affection for people, he
      nonetheless has an air of personal independence and authority.

      The independent streak is reflected in the story of his climb.
      Fascinated by advertising, Mr. Kim graduated in economics in 1964
      from Korea University and took one of the first company entrance
      exams for account executives in South Korea before joining the
      advertising department of Seoul's Handok Pharmaceutical Co.

      "In those days, virtually all advertising was created in-house,"
      said Mr. Kim, who is lean and moves with the ease and agility of
      someone much younger. "Advertising agencies as we know them today
      scarcely existed." In 1970, he joined Haitai Confectionery Co.'s ad
      department.

      The turning point finally came in 1980, when Mr. Kim persuaded
      management to form Haitai Advertising Co. A year later, the agency
      became Korea Advertising Co., or Korad. "We were one of only four
      advertising agencies in those days," recalled Mr. Kim. "Between us,
      we handled only about 10% of Korean advertising."

      With the other 90% handled in-house there wasn't much accept-ance of
      independent shops. "People said, `How can you separate advertising
      from manufacturing?"' said Mr. Kim.

      Even less accepted was the notion of opening the Korean market to
      Western agencies. But the idea made sense to him and a handful of
      others. "We felt we needed to bring in expertise from the U.S. and
      Western agencies."

      So in 1982 Mr. Kim flew to Hong Kong to discuss cooperation with
      Ogilvy & Mather, an agency he targeted because David
      Ogilvy's "Confessions of an Advertising Man" had been "my bible, my
      guiding light," he said.

      It took Mr. Kim six hours to persuade O&M's regional director, Harry
      Reid, to link up. The two agencies formed a technical services
      agreement in 1982, and in 1988, when South Korea first permitted
      foreign investment, Mr. Kim sold 30% of the equity to Ogilvy, re-
      naming it Korad Ogilvy & Mather. The balance of equity is shared
      between staff and the Haitai Group of companies.

      Daewoo Motor is the agency's second win from the Daewoo group. It
      took five years of courting, but in 1991 the agency also won Daewoo
      Electronics, the largest advertiser in Korea without an in-house
      agency.

      The new account boosts the agency's billings to about $200 million,
      from $170.8 million a year earlier, according to Advertising Age
      estimates.

      While not yet ready to retire, Mr. Kim looks forward to turning the
      reins over to a new generation of admen. "The rising generation of
      advertising men in Korea have more knowledge and are better trained
      than my generation was," noted Mr. Kim.

      When not meditating on the mountain behind his house, he enjoys
      skiing, golfing and hiking with wife Myung-Hee Lee, son Dae-Won Kim
      and daughter Hyo-Jung Kim.

      In the meantime, Mr. Kim is still scaling the heights, leading the
      agency's mountain climbing outing. "The sight of MH, as he is
      affectionately known, is the best picture of the man - where he
      leads, others just naturally seem to follow," said the co-worker.