[INTERVIEW] Gary Locke & His Immigrants Parents

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7 2:32 AM
      Governor Gary Locke
      http://www.geocities.com/kin712hk/eng/interview/inter1.htm

      Gary Locke was elected Washington's 21st governor on Nov. 5, 1996,
      making him the first Chinese-American governor in U.S. history. As
      governor, he has worked to make Washington public schools the best
      in the nation, promote jobs and economic development in rural and
      urban areas, and fight juvenile crime.

      Q.What skills do you think young people need to succeed in life?

      A. I have always believed that education is the great equalizer. You
      do not have to be wealthy or to have any special advantages to
      succeed in our country if you get a good education, work hard, and
      continue to update your education and skills throughout your life.
      And the most important skills are to be able to read, to analyze
      what you read, and to be able to think. If you apply those skills to
      any challenge you face, and if you work hard and never give up, you
      will succeed in life. I also think it is important to always think
      of ways to help others. Learn to be a caring person. Learn to put
      others before yourself. Believe it or not, that is a skill.

      Q. In this high-tech world, what¡¦s the most important aspect of
      education?

      A. There are two aspects: reading and critical thinking. No matter
      how advanced our technology becomes, you will still need those two
      basic skills to succeed.

      Q. Who was the biggest influence in your life? Why?

      A. My parents when I was growing up, and my wife and children today.
      My dad and mom worked seven days a week in a small business in
      Seattle so that their children could know a better life. They taught
      us the values of education and hard work. My wife, Mona, is one of
      the smartest kindest people I know. My daughter, Emily, and my son,
      Dylan, teach me something every day. Watching them grow and change
      and learn is the most exciting experience I have ever had.

      Q. What¡¦s the toughest part of your job?

      A. A governor will always disappoint someone because you cannot make
      decisions that please everyone. But I am an optimist and I like
      people, so I always look for ways to reach consensus and move
      forward.

      Q. How did you deal with temptations facing teens and young people
      when you were that age?

      A. Luckily, my parents are honest, hard-working, caring and
      wonderful role models. Unfortunately, they also worked seven days a
      week. So when I did face temptations, I was fortunate to be able to
      turn to mentors I met through the Boy Scouts and YMCA programs for
      additional support and guidance.

      Q. If you could have dinner with anyone, past or present, who would
      it be and why?

      A. I would love to have an in-depth chat with John F. Kennedy or
      Martin Luther King because I could learn so much. Both men were
      assassinated early in life. Both had so much more to offer our
      nation and world.

      Q. When you were a teenager, what place in the world did you most
      want to visit, and have you traveled there yet? Was it as wonderful
      as you thought it would be? Why or why not?

      A. Growing up, I had always dreamed of visiting China because that
      is where my father was born. After I became governor in 1997, I was
      able to travel with my entire family back to my dad¡¦s village in
      China. It meant so much to me to be able to trace my roots. And, we
      were overwhelmed by the favorable welcome by the Chinese people.

      Governor Gary Locke