[BUSINESS] Quiksilver Entertainment's Danny Kwok

    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2004
      Quiksilver Launches Quiksilver Division
      http://www.writenews.com/2002/071902_quicksilver_entertainment.htm

      Quiksilver, Inc., a designer of sports clothing and accessories, has
      launched Quiksilver Entertainment, new division of Quiksilver, Inc.
      established to sell its action sports lifestyle expertise to
      television producers and networks and to produce TV programming,
      movies, events, music, publishing and corporate partnerships
      targeted at the youth market.

      Bob McKnight, Chairman and CEO of Quiksilver, said, "With our strong
      roots in the boardriding culture and our wealth of relationships
      with many of the premier athletes, the creation of Quiksilver
      Entertainment was a logical step in the evolution of our brand.

      A key component to the successful launch of this division is the
      experience and leadership capabilities of industry pioneer Danny
      Kwock. Danny embodies our brand spirit and has successfully led our
      brand-building initiatives for more than 20 years. He will
      collaborate closely with VP Matt Jacobson, who brings invaluable
      media experience from his work with Creative Artists Agency, Fox,
      Newscorp and The Walt Disney Company."

      Quiksilver Entertainment is currently developing action sports
      programming for cable, including a series of athlete profiles. A
      video-on-demand venture, Union* the boardriding channel, created in
      partnership with a collective of other leading endemic companies,
      will launch this summer via TVN Entertainment's distribution
      platform, including Comcast, Mediacom and Insight.

      In addition to creating original programming, Quiksilver
      Entertainment will partner with leaders in consumer electronics and
      telecommunications, automotive and relevant packaged goods, to
      market to the youth audience. An initial summer-long integrated
      marketing initiative with Sony Pictures Digital Entertainment's
      Screenblast includes a range of co-branded, cross-media activities.
      A forthcoming partnership with Boost Mobile will target the youth
      market for pre-paid cellular phone cards and handsets.

      "It's important that this venture is good for the whole industry,"
      said Danny Kwock, president of Quiksilver Entertainment. "Just as
      Nike took a leadership role in expanding the sports market in the
      70s, as the market leader we can take on that role for action
      sports. By conveying the aspirational appeal of this lifestyle to
      the broader youth market, this initiative benefits us all."

      The action sports lifestyle market represents a significant market
      opportunity. Snow, skate and surf "board" sport participation is
      expected to grow from 11.7 million to 15 million by 2005, according
      to American Demographics. Last year, Board-Trac Research calculated
      snowboarding, skateboarding and surfing alone were a $9.9 billion
      dollar industry.

      ==========

      Boost Mobile announces Quiksilver as presenting sponsorfor the 2003
      Boost Mobile Pro of Surf
      http://66.102.7.104/search?
      q=cache:8U8BehTdSvsJ:www.quiksilver.com/content/misc_files/1095-
      730/Quiksilver_boostmobilepro.pdf+quiksilver,+Danny+Kwock&hl=en

      IRVINE and HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif.. May 21, 2003 Boost Mobileand
      Quiksilver, Inc.(NYSE:ZQK) today announced that Quiksilver will be
      the presenting sponsor for the 2003 and 2004 Boost Mobile Pro events
      at Trestles, California, the only ASP World Championship Tour event
      on the US mainland.

      The 2002 Boost Mobile Pro was a huge success with 5 days of solid
      surf, record spectatornumbers and the famed Lower Trestles reef
      presenting a perfect canvas for the world s bestsurfers to display
      their art of high performance surfing.

      Boost Mobile team rider Luke Eganstormed away with the win in 2002,
      and will be fired up to retain the title to an event he helpedbring
      to California. With Americans holding the World Championship title
      for 10 out of the last 11 years, a home soil win will be highly
      coveted, and none other than 6 time World Champ, and Quiksilver
      rider, Kelly Slater will be leading the US charge.

      The Boost Mobile Pro last year was part of our ongoing commitment to
      surfing, which has been in place since we started the brand , said
      Peter Adderton, CEO of Boost Mobile, LLC. Our goalis to become known
      for the biggest and best action sports events in America, and
      Quiksilver sparticipation in the Boost Mobile Pro at Trestles is an
      important part of continuing to deliver onthat.

      They have been a great partner with us on the Roxy phone project in
      the US, and inAustralia with the Quiksilver Airshows previously, and
      we look forward to working with them todeliver an exciting event in
      California this year and next.

      The alliance will see Quiksilver work closely with Boost Mobile on
      all aspects of the Boost MobilePro for the remainder of their
      license with the ASP.

      We are honored to work with Boost on thisevent and more in the
      future, said Danny Kwock, the president of Quiksilver
      Entertainment.It is sure to be an incredible contest", said Mark
      Fewell, Boost Mobile s Media Director. "Luke Egan had a great win
      last year, on the way notching up his 5th man on man win against
      KellySlater in the semi final. But Kelly is on fire right now,
      having won in Tahiti last week and takingout Luke on the way.
      Trestles has special significance to both: Luke had a major role in
      BoostMobile putting on the event; and Kelly had his first pro win
      there.

      Plus there are 46 other surferscapable of taking, and hungry for,
      the title .The Boost Mobile Pro presented by Quiksilver will be held
      September 4-13, 2003, with the 5 day competition period selected by
      forecasting the best swell window. The event will be the seventh leg
      of the 13 round World Championship Tour, following events in equally
      pre-eminentwave locations in Australia, Tahiti, Fiji, Japan and
      South Africa.

      The World s top 48 surfers willcompete for over $250,000 in prize
      money.About BOOST MobileBoost Mobile LLC, headquartered in Irvine,
      Calif, is a lifestyle-based telecommunications company that focuses
      solely on developing and distributing communications products for
      the youth market.

      Boost Mobile s marketing is centered on youth activities such as
      surfing, skateboarding, snowboarding, motox, music, fashion and
      entertainment. Boost Mobile s team of over 40 actionsports stars
      includes reigning World Surfing Champions Andy Irons and Layne
      Beachley.

      The Boost Mobile brand is also one of the leading youth brands for
      telecommunications in Australiaand New Zealand.

      About Quiksilver
      Quiksilver designs, produces and distributes clothing, accessories
      and related products foractive-minded people and develops brands
      that represent a casual lifestyle - driven from aboardriding
      heritage. Quiksilver s authenticity is evident in its innovative
      products, events andretail environments across the globe.

      Quiksilver s primary focus is apparel for young men and young women
      under the Quiksilver, Roxy, Raisins, and Radio Fiji labels.
      Quiksilver also manufactures apparel for boys (QuiksilverBoys and
      Hawk Clothing), girls (Roxy Girl, Teenie Wahine and Raisins Girls),
      men(Quiksilveredition and Fidra) and women (Leilani swimwear), as
      well as snowboards,snowboard boots and bindings under the Lib
      Technologies, Gnu, Supernatural Manufacturingand Bent Metal labels.
      Quiksilver s products are sold throughout the world, primarily in
      surf shopsand specialty stores that provide an outstanding retail
      experience for their customers.

      Media Contacts:
      Andrea Feldberg
      Andrew Colley
      QuiksilverBoost MobileMedia requests

      Media Requests
      (714) 889-2263
      (310) 930-6462
      andrea.feldberg@quiksilver
      comcolley@...

      =======

      QUIKSILVER LAUNCHES QUIKSILVER ENTERTAINMENT, RIDING WAVE OF BROAD
      CONSUMER INTEREST IN ACTION SPORTS LIFESTYLE
      New Division Debuts with Initial Cable Deals and Project with Sony
      Pictures Digital Entertainment; Industry Leader Danny Kwock Named
      President, Entertainment Veteran Matt Jacobson Named Vice President
      http://www.quiksilver.com/?pageID=399

      -

      FOR MORE INFORMATION:
      Heather Buys
      Ogilvy Public Relations
      (415) 677-2716
      hbuys@...

      -

      HUNTINGTON BEACH, CALIF., June 26, 2002---Quiksilver, Inc.
      (NYSE:ZQK) Tapping into existing relationships with athletes and
      capitalizing on the growing market interest in the action sports
      lifestyle, industry leader Quiksilver launches Quiksilver
      Entertainment, a division of Quiksilver, Inc. Under development for
      more than a year, the new division has been established to sell its
      expertise in the action sports lifestyle to television producers and
      networks and to produce TV programming, movies, events, music,
      publishing and corporate partnerships targeted at the youth market.

      Bob McKnight, Chairman and CEO of Quiksilver, commented, "Quiksilver
      has always been at the forefront of expanding and broadening the
      reach of the action sports lifestyle. We are a company of firsts: we
      were the first company to be truly global, the first to make men's
      and women's boardshorts and the first company to go public. With
      our strong roots in the boardriding culture and our wealth of
      relationships with many of the premier athletes, the creation of
      Quiksilver Entertainment was a logical step in the evolution of our
      brand."

      Mr. McKnight continued, "A key component to the successful launch of
      this division is the experience and leadership capabilities of
      industry pioneer Danny Kwock. Danny embodies our brand spirit and
      has successfully led our brand-building initiatives for more than 20
      years. He will collaborate closely with VP Matt Jacobson, who
      brings invaluable media experience from his work with Creative
      Artists Agency, Fox, Newscorp and The Walt Disney Company."

      Quiksilver Entertainment is currently developing action sports
      programming for cable, including a series of athlete profiles,
      likely to be the first-ever such programming to air in a primetime
      slot.

      These formats will break from current event-driven programming,
      allowing viewers to get to know these athletes and the dynamics of
      the sports in a new way. A video-on-demand venture, Union* the
      boardriding channel, created in partnership with a collective of
      other leading endemic companies, will launch this summer via TVN
      Entertainment's distribution platform, including Comcast, Mediacom
      and Insight.

      In addition to creating original programming, Quiksilver
      Entertainment will partner with leaders in consumer electronics and
      telecommunications, automotive and relevant packaged goods, to
      market to the youth audience.

      An initial summer-long integrated marketing initiative with Sony
      Pictures Digital Entertainment's Screenblast® includes a range of co-
      branded, cross-media activities incorporating a strong call to
      action for this audience.

      In just two weeks, it has already resulted in nearly 300,000 page
      views to the co-branded website and close to 30,000 sweepstakes
      entries. A forthcoming partnership with Boost Mobile will target the
      booming youth market for pre-paid cellular phone cards and handsets.

      "It's important that this venture is good for the whole industry,"
      said Danny Kwock, president of Quiksilver Entertainment. "Just as
      Nike took a leadership role in expanding the sports market in the
      70s, as the market leader we can take on that role for action
      sports. By conveying the aspirational appeal of this lifestyle to
      the broader youth market, this initiative benefits us all."

      "I have worked with Matt Jacobson for many years and consider myself
      and my family to be Roxy/Quiksilver enthusiasts," said Yair Landau,
      president of Sony Pictures Digital Entertainment. "We view their
      customers as our core demographic for many of our properties -- our
      games, films and music are an integral part of their lives as they
      express themselves through action sports."

      The action sports lifestyle market represents a significant market
      opportunity. Snow, skate and surf "board" sport participation is
      expected to grow from 11.7 million to 15 million by 2005, according
      to American Demographics. Last year, Board-Trac Research calculated
      snowboarding, skateboarding and surfing alone were a $9.9 billion
      dollar industry.

      Quiksilver Entertainment
      Quiksilver Entertainment is a division of Quiksilver, Inc., the
      industry pioneer and leader in designing, producing and distributing
      clothing, accessories and related products for active-minded people.
      Driven from the same boardriding heritage as Quiksilver, Inc., the
      Quiksilver Entertainment division offers its expertise in the action
      sports lifestyle to television producers and networks, producing TV
      programming, movies, events, music, publishing and corporate
      partnerships targeted at the thriving active sports lifestyle
      market.

      In addition to creating original programming, Quiksilver
      Entertainment partners with leaders in consumer electronics and
      telecommunications, automotive and relevant packaged goods, to
      market to the youth audience. For further information about
      Quiksilver Inc., you are invited to take a look at our world at
      http://www.quiksilver.com

      ==========

      Quiksilver Launches Quiksilver Entertainment, Riding Wave of Broad
      Consumer Interest on Action Sports Lifestyle
      http://www.orlandofloridaguide.com/news/quicksilver.htm

      New Division Debuts With Initial Cable Deals and Project With Sony
      Pictures Digital Entertainment; Industry Leader Danny Kwock Named
      President, Entertainment Veteran Matt Jacobson Named Vice President
      HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif., June 26 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/

      Quiksilver, Inc. (NYSE:ZQK) Tapping into existing relationships with
      athletes and capitalizing on the growing market interest in the
      action sports lifestyle, industry leader Quiksilver launches
      Quiksilver Entertainment, a division of Quiksilver, Inc. Under
      development for more than a year, the new division has been
      established to sell its expertise in the action sports lifestyle to
      television producers and networks and to produce TV programming,
      movies, events, music, publishing and corporate partnerships
      targeted at the youth market.

      Bob McKnight, Chairman and CEO of Quiksilver, commented, "Quiksilver
      has always been at the forefront of expanding and broadening the
      reach of the action sports lifestyle. We are a company of firsts: we
      were the first company to be truly global, the first to make men's
      and women's boardshorts and the first company to go public. With our
[...]

      Pictures Digital Entertainment's Screenblast(R) includes a range of
      co-branded, cross-media activities incorporating a strong call to
      action for this audience. In just two weeks, it has already resulted
      in nearly 300,000 page views to the co-branded website and close to
      30,000 sweepstakes entries.

      A forthcoming partnership with Boost Mobile will target the booming
      youth market for pre-paid cellular phone cards and handsets.

      "It's important that this venture is good for the whole industry,"
      said Danny Kwock, president of Quiksilver Entertainment. "Just as
      Nike took a leadership role in expanding the sports market in the
      70s, as the market leader we can take on that role for action
      sports. By conveying the aspirational appeal of this lifestyle to
      the broader youth market, this initiative benefits us all."

      "I have worked with Matt Jacobson for many years and consider myself
      and my family to be Roxy/Quicksilver enthusiasts," said Yair Landau,
[...]

      market. In addition to creating original programming, Quiksilver
      Entertainment partners with leaders in consumer electronics and
      telecommunications, automotive and relevant packaged goods, to
      market to the youth audience.

      =======

      Quiksilver U60
      http://www.dpreview.com/news/0311/03112603quiksilveru60.asp

      Quiksilver, the clothing and accessories brand, has launched a
      limited edition version of Sonys' Cyber-shot(R) DSC-U60 digital
      camera. The 150 limited-edition, Quiksilver-designed pieces feature
      original artwork on the camera, and are packaged in a specially
      designed custom box. "Quiksilver's lifestyle brand captures the
      imagination of consumers around the globe and it is exciting to
      bring these action sports enthusiasts to Sony's Cybershot product,"
      said Matt Jacobson, Vice President of Quiksilver Entertainment. The
      camera will be available for purchase at Quiksilver Boardrider's
      Clubs in New York, Orlando, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Orange County,
      Honolulu and Maui at a suggested retail price of $300.

      Quiksilver Entertainment Delivers Cybersurf to Sony's Cyber-Shot
      Camera; Quiksilver-Themed Limited Edition of Sony's Popular Cyber-
      Shot U60 Camera in Time for Holiday Season

      HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 25, 2003--Quiksilver
      Entertainment (NYSE:ZQK) is producing a Limited Edition version of
      Sony Electronics' popular Cyber-shot(R) DSC-U60 digital camera.
      Designed to go anywhere, the camera is targeted to action sports
      enthusiasts who desire a product that can keep up with their
      intense, and often soggy, lifestyle. The 150 limited-edition,
      Quiksilver-designed pieces feature original artwork on the camera,
      and are packaged in a specially designed custom box. The camera will
      be available for purchase at Quiksilver Boardrider's Clubs in New
      York, Orlando, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Orange County, Honolulu and
      Maui.

      The Quiksilver-themed Cyber-shot U60 camera hits the shelves the day
      after Thanksgiving. Sony's camera is a rugged, waterproof (up to 5
      ft.)(a) model that takes picture taking to greater depths. Easily
      taken into the surf to get a shot of a buddy getting barreled, knee
      deep in powder to catch a snowboarder carving, or in the back of a
      kayak down a class 5 rapid, this is for anyone wanting to document
      their most active efforts.

      "Quiksilver's lifestyle brand captures the imagination of consumers
      around the globe and it is exciting to bring these action sports
      enthusiasts to Sony's Cybershot product," said Matt Jacobson, Vice
      President of Quiksilver Entertainment. "It is great to work with
      Sony to amplify this cool, waterproof digital camera within the
      marketplace."

      "We surf, snowboard and skateboard, and so do our athletes and a
      majority of our customers," said Danny Kwock, President, Quiksilver
      Entertainment. "However, up to now you haven't been able to bring
      high quality cameras into these conditions; we're excited to offer
      this product to them."

      This is not the first time that Sony and Quiksilver have partnered
      up to co-brand products and events. Just this past September, Sony
      joined Quiksilver at the Boost Mobile Pro in San Clemente, Calif.,
      for one of the world's top surf competitions.

      Sony provided the 44 competing surfers with the Cyber-shot U60
      camera and enlisted the help of "beach teams" to document the event
      with the camera, setting up a Sony printing station where spectators
      standing in the sand were able to experience the Cyber-shot -- in
      conjunction with Sony's digital photo printing capabilities -- a
      combination that takes "instant gratification" to a new level. The
      spectators were invited to stop by the tent to pick up the pictures
      taken in and around the event -- a very nice, personalized take-away
      for the fans on the beach.

      Last year Sony and Roxy, Quiksilver's surf, lifestyle and clothing
      line for women, joined to launch "Surf Now," an introduction to
      surfing and "how-to" video to inspire girls to get in the water.

      The limited-edition camera's suggested retail price is $300 and can
      be found only at select Quiksilver Boardrider's Clubs in New York,
      Orlando, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Orange County, Honolulu and Maui.

      Boost Mobile announces Quiksilver as presenting sponsor for the 2003
      Boost Mobile Pro of Surf
      http://www.boardfolio.com/tour/2003.05.22_wct_general.html

      May 23, 2003 (ASP Int'l, Aus) Boost Mobile and Quiksilver, Inc.
      today announced that Quiksilver will be the presenting sponsor for
      the 2003 and 2004 Boost Mobile Pro events at Trestles, California,
      the only ASP World Championship Tour event on the US mainland.

      The 2002 Boost Mobile Pro was a huge success with 5 days of solid
      surf, record spectator numbers and the famed Lower Trestles reef
      presenting a perfect canvas for the world's best surfers to display
      their art of high performance surfing.

      Boost Mobile team rider Luke Egan (Aus) stormed away with the win in
      2002, and will be fired up to retain the title to an event he helped
      bring to California. With Americans holding the World Championship
      title for 10 out of the last 11 years, a home soil win will be highly
      coveted, and none other than 6-time world champ and Quiksilver rider
      Kelly Slater (FL, USA) will be leading the US charge.

      "The Boost Mobile Pro last year was part of our ongoing commitment to
      surfing, which has been in place since we started the brand," said
      Peter Adderton, CEO of Boost Mobile, LLC. "Our goal is to become
      known for the biggest and best action sports events in America, and
      Quiksilver's participation in the Boost Mobile Pro at Trestles is an
      important part of continuing to deliver on that.

      They have been a great partner with us on the Roxy phone project in
      the US, and in Australia with the Quiksilver Airshows previously,
      and we look forward to working with them to deliver an exciting
      event in California this year and next."

      The alliance will see Quiksilver's events, entertainment, marketing,
      public relations and web teams work closely with Boost Mobile on all
      aspects of the Boost Mobile Pro for the remainder of Boost Mobile's
[...]

      US$250,000 in prizemoney.

      For more information on Boost Mobile go to www.boostmobile.com

[...]

      experience for their customers. For further information about
      Quiksilver Inc., you are invited to take a look at our world at
      http://www.quiksilver.com, http://www.roxy.com and
      http://www.hawkclothing.com.

      =====================

      Cable ventures mark surf company's push to sell action sports -
      Media & Technology - Quiksilver Inc. in pay-per-view channel
      partnership with TVN Entertainment - Brief Article - Statistical
      Data Included Los Angeles Business Journal, August 19, 2002 by
      Darrell Satzman
      http://articles.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m5072/is_33_24/ai_9109
      4143

      Quiksilver Inc., one of the leading outfitters for devotees of the
      board-sports lifestyle, is taking its surf, skate and snow show to
      Hollywood.

      Next month, the Huntington Beach company will begin broadcasting a
      pay-per-view channel in partnership with distributor TVN
      Entertainment of Burbank. Initially available to about a million
      cable subscribers in a handful of United States' cities, the new
      channel, to be called Union The Boardriding Channel, could be
      available on local cable systems by December.

      In addition, a series of athlete profiles produced by Quiksilver and
      other action-sports companies has been sold to a distributor and
      will air later this year, said Danny Kwock, a former professional
      suffer who is heading up the new division, Quiksilver Entertainment.

      Quiksilver's cable ventures follow deals earlier this year with Sony
      Pictures Entertainment and Boost Mobile to team up on products
      ranging from software for editing movies on digital cameras to pre-
      paid cellular phone cards.

      Although the company has compiled footage of its sponsored stars for
      use in promotions, the media push is a departure. Quiksilver has
      fueled its growth through a handful of acquisitions, including
      skating guru Tony Hawk's apparel line and the popular Roxy clothing
      brand for girls.

      The new division aims to develop original content for television,
      the Internet and print. Most of those ventures will involve
      Quiksilver providing footage from its film library.

      Neither Union nor the cable series will bear the company's name or
      logo. That's because a number of different partners, including
      competitors, will participate in the productions, and also because
      in the antiestablishment board sports culture ubiquity is not
      necessarily an asset. Quiksilver has sold its apparel and sporting
      equipment under more than half-a-dozen brand names.

      Nike Inc. purchased Quiksilver rival Hurley International of Costa
      Mesa in February and that's likely to mean more competition for
      Quiksilver in the international market, where it derives roughly
      half of its revenue, said Mitch Kummetz, an analyst at Wedbush
      Morgan Securities in Los Angeles.

      "You have to believe Nike is going to spend some time developing the
      brand internationally," said Kummetz, who doesn't expect Quiksilver
      Entertainment to have a substantial impact on the company's earnings.

      While Quiksilver revenues grew to $186 million in the second
      quarter, up from $168 million a year earlier, earnings have been
      flat and the company's stock, which was trading around $19 last
      week, has skidded from its 52-week high of $27.58 on July 10.

      Neil Goldberg, senior vice president of programming for TVN, said
      there is a dearth of action sports programming. "If you walk into a
      video store there is no content targeting this niche, 8- to-18-year-
      old boys who are in to these sports," he said.

      COPYRIGHT 2002 CBJ, L.P.
      COPYRIGHT 2002 Gale Group

      =========

      Reality Surfs
      MTV, Roxy and Quiksilver premiere 'Surf Girls.'
      By Kedric Francis
      http://www.ocmetro.com/metro051503/beachbuzz051503.html

      Like you, I don't watch much television. My schedule is just too
      full, and, of course, there are so many more fulfilling things to do
      with my time. Well, I will admit to a few sessions a day with ESPN's
      SportsCenter.

      As busy professionals, who has time to watch entire sporting events
      these days? And, yes, I can be sucked into a movie marathon, but
      only on the Sundance Channel, IFC or TMC. Now and then I've been
      known to watch a cooking show or show about travel or fashion, but
      that's mainly to keep up with trends for my job. And OK, sure,
      during the recent war I did discover the wonders of Fox News, who
      made the whole complicated Middle East situation much easier to
      understand.

      I'm sure that you, too, have no patience for those awful reality
      television shows, though if Ruben Stoddard doesn't win the
      current "American Idol" singing contest there's something seriously
      wrong with the taste of America.

      With friends who act and write real drama and comedy for the
      networks and independent producers, I can't condone the jobs lost in
      the entertainment industry because of reality shows. Do the names
      Evan and Zora mean anything to you? How about Puck and Ruthie or
      Trista, Ryan and Charlie? Come on, someone has to be watching these
      shows: "The Bachelorette" was watched by 20.4 million viewers, while
      18 million people watched "American Idol 2" finale.

      I do keep up with popular culture, so I do know about the reality
      shows. It's just I can't schedule my time around a television show.
      It's like an addiction.

      That's why I love the MTV reality shows like the "Real World." They
      show in reruns forever; if you miss any you can tune in weeks or
      months later and get caught up before the finale. The
      network's "Battle of the Sexes" that just ended was a competition
      between men and women who had been on the various MTV reality shows
      in the past. I admit, I got sucked in. But, it was mainly because of
      Ruthie. She was on an earlier show, had a drinking problem, cleaned
      herself up, and on this show she was such a soulful competitor. You
      had to love her, and be jealous of her girlfriend who does.

      Athletic, supportive, competitive and with a huge old heart, she
      single-handedly kept the women in the competition up to the end,
      though the women-Ruthie, Ellen and Lori-lost in the finals to Colin,
      Jamie and Mark. But of course it's the sociological aspects of the
      shows that draw me in, the psychology, the group dynamics. Not the
      voyeuristic or gossipy stuff.

      I attended a party for the premiere of MTV's newest reality
      show "Surf Girls" at the Quiksilver headquarters in Huntington
      Beach, and I think I'm already hooked. The show broadcasted Mondays
      at 10:30 p.m. More than 6,000 girls auditioned for the show in
      Hawaii, California, North Carolina and Florida, including Roxy's
      South Coast Plaza store. Fourteen surfers were chosen to receive
      training from the world's best surfers, including four-time Women's
      Surfing World Champion Lisa Anderson and two-time Men's Surfing
      World Champion Tom Carroll.

      The girls live together, train together and surf together all over
      the world, including Australia, Samoa, Tahiti and Oahu's North
      Shore. Each show, a few are eliminated, until one is left who will
      get a wild card entry to compete in the Roxy Fiji Pro Championship,
      a major stop on the women's surfing circuit.

      The first show was good-it focused primarily on surfing and fitness,
      less on looks, though this from the MTV website is cause for
      concern: "Fourteen babes with boards trek across the globe to
      compete for a highly-coveted wildcard into the World Championship
      Tour of surfing and a spot in a pro contest. Find out who will catch
      a wave to surfing glory in 'Surf Girls,' where the sun is almost as
      hot as the ladies." From what I've seen, the show doesn't shy away
      from an obvious fact: female surfers are attractive, they're healthy
      and sex appeal sells. Ratings do matter, of course, so I expect a
      few lingering shots of girls in bikinis, though so far it didn't
      seem particularly intrusive or overly voyeuristic.

      Avoiding the "surfer babe" trap may not shield the show from
      scrutiny from surfers. These girls surf with varying degree of
      skill, but they're just not pros. We could see some female surfers
      who have paid their dues for years being upset by all the publicity
      these girls are going to get. Still, additional exposure for the
      sport has to be a good thing, right? In the end the women who surf
      best, who get along, who show perseverance and desire will be the
      ones who make it into the final rounds.

      Judges and trainers for the competitions include Anderson and
      Carroll. Team Roxy helped the girls develop their surfing and media
      skills, and the company's involvement gives the show
      credibility. "Surf Girls" was created by Cris Abrego and Rick Telles
      from Brass Ring Entertainment, who serve as executive producers
      along with Executive Producers Matt Jacobson and Danny Kwock from
      Quiksilver Entertainment. Kwock has been a pioneer with Quik, while
      Jacobson has entertainment industry experience from Creative Artists
      Agency, Fox, Newscorp and The Walt Disney Co. I guess my friends who
      act and write real drama and comedy should be aware of a new outlet
      for their skills.

      Eddie Aikau