[MUSIC] Henry Cho on Tour with Amy Grant/Vince Gill

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2004
      Henry Cho
      Biography
      http://www.delafont.com/comedians/Henry-Cho.htm

      Crowds don't know what to think when Henry Cho starts talking…a full
      blooded Korean with a deep East Tennessee drawl? Yes, it's true and
      he is one of the fastest rising young comedians in the industry!
      Henry Cho registers with audiences from coast to coast with his
      audio-visual twist and stir-fried homespun material.

      Making the most of who Henry is has not been a problem. "I'm an
      Asian with a southern accent," remarks Cho. "To a lot of people,
      that right there is funny."

      Cho, who is Korean American, was born in Knoxville, Tennessee and
      went into stand-up comedy in 1986 with the goal of getting into
      films. He moved to southern California in 1989 to pursue his career,
      but always with the intent of returning to his roots in
      Tennessee. "I planned to live in L.A. until I reached a level I was
      comfortable with – and then get out of there," comments Cho.

      In 1994, after he moved to a farm in Tennessee, Cho got the call
      from NBC to host NBC's "Friday Night Videos" which he did by
      commuting to L.A. weekly for two years. While in L.A., he became a
      regular guest/comedian on such shows as "The Tonight Show" and "The
      Arsenio Hall Show."

      His other TV credits include guest roles on various sitcoms such as
      CBS' "Designing Women," "Lenny," "The New WKRP in Cincinnati" and a
      starring role in FOX's TV movie, "Revenge of The Nerd II: The Next
      Generation." Cho's many other comedy credits include NBC's "Bob
      Hope's Young Comedians Special," MTV's "1/2 Hour Comedy Hour" and VH-
      1's "Stand-up Spotlight."

      The move back to his home state definitely did not hurt Henry Cho's
      career. Along with getting the "Friday Night Video" gig he has done
      two feature films and an independent. He starred opposite Tom Arnold
      and David Allen Grier in Universal's "McHale's Navy" and is in the
      Farrelly brothers' movie "Say It Isn't So" with Sally Field, Heather
      Graham and Chris Klein.

      For now, when he is not with his family or engaged in his off-duty
      passion of golf, Henry Cho chooses his jobs at his leisure. "Only a
      project I'm passionate about will make me move back to L.A.,"
      remarks Cho. "I'd love to do a sit-com, had a couple chances a few
      years ago but couldn't agree on the content. I'm not doing a
      stereotype Asian guy, period. Films work well for two reasons, one,
      I love doing them, and, two, I can live where I want."

      ============

      Amy Grant and Vince Gill Unite Nov. 28-Dec. 22
      For "Simply Christmas with Amy Grant and Vince Gill" Tour
      With special guests Henry Cho and The Nashville Chamber Orchestra
      http://www.thepressoffice.net/releases/nr75.htm

      Nashville, TN-- Amy Grant and Vince Gill will once again delight
      audiences and unite for a holiday tour—"Simply Christmas with Amy
      Grant and Vince Gill." The 19-city event, which runs from Nov. 28 to
      Dec. 22, will also feature comedian Henry Cho. Backing Gill and
      Grant on the tour will be the renowned Nashville Chamber Orchestra.

      Grant and Gill have each headlined their own holiday tours, as well
      as launching their very successful first joint Christmas tour in
      2001. As solo artists, their Christmas albums have been bestsellers
      with a combined total of over nine million records. Gill's include
      Let There Be Peace On Earth and Breath Of Heaven. Grant's top
      Christmas titles are Home For Christmas, A Christmas Album and A
      Christmas To Remember.

      During his distinguished recording career, Gill has sold over 22
      million records, won 15 Grammy's and 18 Country Music Association
      awards, including Entertainer of the Year twice. Prized for his
      charm and quick-wittedness, Gill has hosted the top-rated CMA Awards
      television special for the past eleven years and is set to preside
      over the 2003 awards show on Nov. 5. In Feb. 2003, Gill released his
      11th album for MCA Records, the critically acclaimed Next Big Thing.
      Self-produced, the album featured 17 new tracks, all written or co-
      written by Gill and featured the hit singles "Next Big
      Thing," "Someday" and the upcoming track "Young Man's Town."

      With sales of over 22 million albums to her credit, Amy Grant is one
      of pop music's most prolific artists. Her seventeen albums to date
      have garnered numerous awards, including 5 Grammy Awards and 22 Dove
      Awards, plus additional nominations from the MTV Awards and the
      American Music Awards. Songs like "Baby, Baby," "Next Time I Fall,"
      and "Takes A Little Time" have firmly established Grant as a pop
      powerhouse. Grant's newest pop release – Simple Things – was
      released August 19 and the title single is already climbing both pop
      and CCM charts.

      Henry Cho, who is Korean American, was born in Knoxville, TN and
      went into stand-up comedy in 1986. Among his credits are as a
      regular guest/comedian on "The Tonight Show," "The Arsenio Hall
      Show," NBC's "Bob Hope's Young Comedians Special," MTV's "1/2 Hour
      Comedy Hour" and VH-1's "Stand-up Spotlight." Cho has been a friend
      of Gill and Grant for a number of years and has participated in
      Gill's annual charity golf event The Vinny.

      The Nashville Chamber Orchestra (NCO) has come to be recognized as
      one of America's most creative and innovative orchestras. Under the
      leadership of founder and music director Paul Gambill, the
      extraordinary music making of this ensemble has heralded a steady
      stream of national media attention. The NCO has commissioned and
      premiered 26 works by American composers in the past six years, and
      in 2002 hosted the first-ever Nashville Guitar Festival.

      Tickets are scheduled to go on sale October 4 in most markets.
      Kicking off the tour in Nashville with two shows, Grant and Gill
      will be the first concert in the brand new Belmont University's Curb
      Event Center, a 5,000 seat entertainment and athletic venue opening
      September 2003.

      The dates and venues for "Simply Christmas with Amy Grant and Vince
      Gill" are:

      Nov. 28 - Nashville, TN - Curb Event Center/ Belmont University
      Nov. 29 - Nashville, TN - Curb Event Center/ Belmont University
      Dec. 1 - Jacksonville, FL - Jacksonville Veteran Memorial Coliseum
      Dec. 2 - Greenville, SC - Bi-Lo Center
      Dec. 4 - Richmond, VA - Richmond Coliseum
      Dec. 5 - Baltimore, MD - 1st Mariner Arena
      Dec. 6 - Atlantic City, NJ - Boardwalk Hall
      Dec. 7 - Reading, PA - Sovereign Performing Arts Center
      Dec. 9 - Manchester, NH - Verizon Wireless Arena
      Dec. 10 - Worchester, MA - Worcester Centrum Center
      Dec. 11 - Albany, NY - Pepsi Arena
      Dec. 12 - Rochester, NY - Blue Cross Arena
      Dec. 13 - Cincinnati, OH - U.S. Bank Arena
      Dec. 15 - Wilkes Barre, PA - First Union Arena
      Dec. 16 - Pittsburgh, PA - Peterson Events Center at University of
      Pittsburgh
      Dec. 17 - Chicago, IL - Allstate Arena
      Dec. 19 - Cleveland, OH - CSU Convocation Center
      Dec. 20 - Evansville, IN - Roberts Stadium
      Dec. 21- Columbus, OH - Nationwide Arena
      Dec. 22 Grand Rapids, MI - Van Andel Arena

      ==========

      Simply Christmas with Amy Grant and Vince Gill
      by CA Staff for Christian Activities
      11/26/2003
      http://www.christianactivities.com/articles/story.asp?ID=3328

[...]

      =======

      Amy Grant, Vince Gill make the holidays 'Simply' special
      By Regis Behe
      TRIBUNE-REVIEW
      http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-
      review/entertainment/s_169387.html

      Amy Grant had a nightmare not too long ago about the "Simply
      Christmas" tour that features her with husband Vince Gill.
      "I had to leave at the end of the show, and I came back 12 hours
      later, and the guys from the trio in 'A Mighty Wind' were still
      onstage singing Christmas songs," she says. "And the audience was
      completely numb. I think it's because I keep wondering if the shows
      are too long."

      Fans of Grant and Gill, who are performing at Petersen Events
      Center, will say too much of a good thing isn't possible. Grant is
      one of the most likable performers in pop music, and Gill is one of
      country music's most popular and respected artists.

      The Christmas season does, however, seem a bit more crowded these
      days. Martina McBride, Harry Connick Jr., Mannheim Steamroller and
      The Trans-Siberian Orchestra - East and West coast units - are among
      those out on the road competing for holiday audiences.

      But Grant doesn't see it that way.

      "My feeling about Christmas tours is the more, the merrier," Grant
      says. "Truly, the whole point of anybody doing a Christmas
      production is to provide a meaningful and fun experience for fans."

      Grant is reminded just how special the show is every time she looks
      across the stage. There he is, Vince Gill, the man she so dearly
      loves, her "best friend in the world." That can't help but give the
      concert a little extra meaning.

      "We're not teenagers, we're both in our 40s," she says. "This is a
      very grown-up, mature love we have for each other. I feel like that
      kind of creates a foundation for the show that is very inviting and
      very inclusive of the audience. I think it translates. I wouldn't
      have said that before the show started, except that people have
      commented that they feel like they're included in this circle of
      love."

      Grant, who first made her mark as a Christian singer, disappointed
      some of her fans when she went through a divorce a few years ago.
      She was harshly criticized in some media, and was even accused of
      having an affair with Gill while she was still married Gary Chapman.
      Many Christian radio stations refused to play her music, and
      Christian stores pulled her records.

      Just as many, if not more, fans have supported her; Grant's more
      recent album, "Simple Things," referred to her situation in the
      songs "Out in the Open" and "Innocence Lost."

      Now, she's focused on her new life, and how this tour with Gill can
      serve secular and spiritual needs.

      "If you are a person of faith, a Christmas concert sure is a great
      union of music and faith," she says, "at a time when everybody is
      comfortable celebrating faith."

      Grant and Gill have done solo Christmas tours in the past. They met
      10 years ago when Gill asked her to guest on his Christmas
      television special; she, in turn, asked him to do a benefit for the
      Nashville Symphony Orchestra. She admits that one of Gill's
      influences is helping her scale down the concerts from gigantic
      productions of Christmases past that featured as many as 75
      performers onstage. Grant says she now employs an "economy of
      tools," simplifying the light system and video footage.

      What hasn't changed is the length of the concerts, which run almost
      three hours and have been causing Grant to conjure up the annoying
      trio from director Christopher Guest's movie. Prior to the tour, a
      television producer who is a friend of Grant's advised against
      running the concert that long - until she attended a show.

      "After she saw it she said, 'I never looked at my watch, don't cut
      anything,'" Grant says.

      Regis Behe can be reached at rbehe@... or (412)320-7990.

      ===========================

      CNN LARRY KING LIVE
      Interview With Amy Grant, Vince Gill
      Aired December 6, 2003 - 21:00 ET
      http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0312/06/lkl.00.html

      LARRY KING, HOST: Tonight, Christian music superstar Amy Grant and
      country superstar Vince Gill. Their marriage three years ago caused
      an uproar because they were each married to somebody else with
      families when they began to fall in love. How did they deal with
      those secret longings with the conflict between divorce and
      traditional religious beliefs, and with being tabloid targets? And
      in-depth personal hour with Amy Grant and Vince Gill is next on
      LARRY KING LIVE.
      We got a dandy LARRY KING LIVE in store for you tonight. Two of my
      favorite people, Amy Grant and Vince Gill. They're in the middle of
      a special holiday music tour simply titled "Simply Christmas." With
      Amy Grant and Vince Gill, you can't get more simple than that in
      explaining what you're doing.

      Amy Grant has sold over 22 million albums, has won five Grammys, and
      had the first Christian album ever to go platinum. Vince has only
      won 15 Grammys and has taken home more Country Music Association
      awards than any other performer. 27 of his songs have been number
      one. And this show will make them. This is it. You'll finally make
      it being here.

      VINCE GILL, SINGER: Finally.

      KING: You two are an extraordinary story. And one cannot talk to you
      without talking about it. By the way, Amy's newest CD is "Simple
      Things." And Vince Gill's newest CD is "Next Big Thing." We'll be
      talking about both of those as we go on.

      When you met, you were sing -- you both were married to other
      people. You were singing. How did -- what happened, Amy?

      AMY GRANT, SINGER: Well, we actually crossed paths many times before
      we actually worked together. We sang for the troops during Desert
      Storm at Fort Campbell. And I just thought he was a nice guy. And
      then we worked together Christmas of '93 and actually performed
      together. And...

      KING: Something happened?

      GRANT: And he -- I was just captivated with his personality. I just
      thought he was a great guy.

      KING: And was your marriage unhappy at the time? I mean, did you
      think this would happen?

      GRANT: No. No.

      KING: So you were shocked?

      GRANT: Well, there was nothing shocking in '93. You know, we worked
      together. It was great. I was doing a benefit for the symphony in
      Nashville. And he was doing a TV show for a Christmas show with Chet
      Atkins. And I -- and he -- his management called mine and said would
      she be on the TV show? And I said, "Hey, I'll do that TV show with
      him if he'll do the benefit with me." And that's really -- that was
      the connection of our friendship for years was doing these Christmas
      shows. And every November...

      KING: So it was friendship?

      GRANT: Yes.

      KING: So Vince, how did you feel?

      GILL: I mean, look at her. Any idiot, you know, would quite taken
      with Amy. And I was no exception. And just, once again, the
      connection there that was kind of rare was -- it was -- it felt --
      everything felt familiar, you know, when I met Amy. You know, we
      would have a conversation and it was easy. Everything was easy. The
      hang was easy, the conversation was easy. And I just said, man, I
      said that's a great girl.

      KING: And it was around Christmas time, right?

      VINCE: Yes, Christmas of '80 -- '90...

      KING: Was your marriage an unhappy one?

      GILL: I wouldn't say so. I don't think that, you know, it was not
      like -- it's not like something happened that we were both looking
      for a way to find happiness, you know, in...

      KING: There was no depression, like search that...

      GILL: No, no, no. I don't think so. I mean, it had its -- you know,
      it had its moments of good times and bad times, like I think most
      marriages do.

      KING: And you have children from that marriage?

      GILL: Yes, a 21-year old daughter named Jenny.

      KING: And did you have a child?

      GRANT: Three.

      KING: Three?

      GRANT: Yes.

      KING: How well do they all get along?

      GRANT: Great.

      GILL: Amazingly well.

      GRANT: Yes.

      GILL: A lot better than us adults.

      (laughter)

      KING: Was it a difficult time? In other words, I don't read the
      tabloids, so usually I'm not...

      GRANT: Right, I don't read them either. So I don't know what they
      said.

      KING: ...and so was it very difficult for you? Was it very public?

      GRANT: Well, first off, let me say when we first met, I think the
      first year we worked together, I remember telling Vince if I were a
      guy, we would have been best friends. We would have been running
      buddies. But that was really -- that's truly all it was. And
      November would roll around and I'd go hey, we're doing that
      Christmas show again. And that happened for several years. I knew
      hey, I get to see him at Christmas because we're going to do the
      benefit.

      KING: But you weren't thinking I'm falling in love with this guy?

      GRANT: No.

      KING: And what were you thinking? I love her?

      GILL: Well, the same kind of deal. You know, same kind of deal.

      KING: Well, I'm going to work with Amy again.

      GILL: Yes, I mean, it's a great hang. You know, and people did start
      saying things about us. And it was awkward. And a lot of it was
      unfounded. And I just kind of...

      KING: So there were rumors before it was true?

      GILL: Sure, yes. Heck, yes. You know, that's how life works. That's
      how all of us almost make a living.

      KING: How then did it finally like happen, happen?

      GRANT: Well...

      GILL: I don't think it did until, you know, I think that obviously
      the friendship caused a lot of animosity in both of our...

      KING: At home.

      GILL: ...yes, on both sides of the fence. And rightly so, probably
      in hindsight. But you know, the truth is there was never like a
      magic plan I'm going to go do this and a couple years later you go
      do this. It wasn't even -- there wasn't ever even a discussion.

      You know, I got a divorce. And I said well, I think she'll probably
      stay. I really did. That's how I felt. You know, I don't think
      she'll...

      KING: So you got divorced first?

      GILL: Yes. And...

      KING: What happened when he got divorced?

      GRANT: I remember a friend of mine read the paper, because that's
      how I found out. I read it in the paper. And this person said well
      at least somebody finally married to the law. And I think all --
      anybody surrounding our situation could see what a natural
      friendship we had. And to me, that was the real pain of it is trying
      to take the high road. But when you have such an easy rapport with
      another person, what it really does is it highlights where you don't
      have an easy...

      KING: Sure.

      GRANT: ...as easy a rapport.

      KING: Of course, the other is (unintelligible.)

      GRANT: You know, and I don't know how to avoid that. And once having
      discovered it, I didn't know how to make it go away.

      KING: Were you happy to read that?

      GRANT: I think I just -- happy, no, because I didn't -- it wasn't
      like I went oh, good, he's available to me. Because I wasn't. And
      there was never a conversation between us of any kind of...

      KING: Never like I'll meet you here...

      GRANT: No.

      KING: ...let's get divorced. No?

      GRANT: No, no, no, no.

      KING; So then, I'm trying to figure out how it finally happened?
      Then did you get divorced?

      GRANT: I did. You know, the wheels just started coming off. I think,
      you know, I think because we didn't go the secretive sort of way. In
      my mind, I justified he can be my friend. And...

      KING: What you're saying is there was no adultery here?

      GRANT: No.

      KING: So then you got divorced? Did you ever formally propose? Or as
      friends, did you happen one day to say let's get married?

      GILL: I formally proposed. I'm a good Southern gentleman. So how
      about those Marlins, you know?

      KING: I'm going to get off this. It just fascinates me because the
      two of you sang well together. So there had to be a simpatico to
      begin first, right?

      GILL: There is. But you know the thing that I thing oftentimes gets
      ignored and neglected is there was 10 or 12 years of life before I
      met Amy and before she met me, where you know, whatever happened was
      probably going to happen some day.

      KING: yes.

      GILL: You know, that I think it's difficult to sit here and connect
      the dots and talk about all this without, you know, you've got to
      kind of expose everything and everybody. And from my place, and from
      the time that I went through my divorce, I also had my father pass
      away in the middle of all that. And it kind of made everything else
      just kind of like the back burner, you know. For me...

      KING: Well, we're going to move past that. I just...

      GILL: I don't mind, but I mean...

      KING: When were you married?

      GRANT: We got married March of 2000.

      GILL: Yes.

      KING: So you've only been married.

      GRANT: 3.5 years.

      GILL: Almost four years.

      GRANT: Yes.

      KING: Is everything OK?

      GRANT: You know what? It's so funny because it's so peaceful. It
      really is.

      KING: It is. It's obvious being around you.

      GRANT: Yes.

      GILL: Yes, the companionship is amazing. You know, you can get that
      physical attraction that happens is great, but then there's an awful
      lot of time and the rest of the day that you have to fill.

      KING: Sure. So you're lovers and friends?

      GILL: Yes. At the end of the day is when it's really peaceful. KING:
      We'll be right back to talk about their careers and other
      extraordinary things about incredible couple. Amy Grant and Vince
      Gill, as we go to break, the duet that started it all for them.
      Here's "House of Love."

      (SINGING)

      (COMMERCIAL BREAK)

      KING: We're back to Vince Gill and Amy Grant. We're going to first --
      what was the magic of the voices together? Amy, what do you think
      the two of you have? Now forget the marriage romance and all of...

      GRANT: Right.

      KING: ...what do the two of you have lyrically, musically that
      worked?

      GRANT: Well, I -- Vince sounds good with everybody. And he's
      probably been asked to sing on how many records?

      GILL: 3500.

      GRANT: Hundreds.

      GILL: Yes.

      GRANT: And it's because he has an effortless voice. And he really
      can just...

      KING: Because that doesn't always work, right? It's not necessarily
      true that one good male singer is going to pair off well with a good
      female?

      GRANT: Right. I'm just saying he's going to sound great with
      everybody.

      KING: He was.

      GRANT: I would not be a good harmony singer with everybody. And I
      think it was, you know, I asked him to sing on a record. And for the
      first time he opened his mouth, I just -- I couldn't believe it. And
      you know, this was all the Christmas of '93 when I was doing his TV
      show. He was doing my Christmas show. And the week between those two
      shows, because I'd heard his voice live, I said would you sing on
      this record of mine, "House of Love?" And it -- yes, it was really --
      he has a very captivating voice.

      KING: What do you think it was?

      GILL: Well, gosh.

      KING: Musically.

      GILL: I think we liked a lot of the same things. Our career paths
      have been, I would say polar opposites, you know.

      KING: Meaning?

      GILL: Just you know, her being in gospel music, me being in country
      music, and pop music. I was always, you know, on the country side of
      things, the blue grass side of things. And -- but we found that we
      both enjoyed a lot of the same things.

      And like she said, that's what I did for a living, Larry. I -- you
      know, I struggled for a long time to ever make any money being a
      singer. But all those years, I would be hired as a session musician
      and session singer and work on tons and tons of records.

      KING: So you'd play. You'd sing behind people?

      GILL: And always -- that's what I aspired to be. I never aspired to
      be a star. Just...

      KING: What made it for you? Was there a record?

      GILL: Sure.

      KING: Which was?

      GILL: One big hit in 1990 called "One I Call Your Name."

      (SINGING)

      KING: And so you suddenly became a single hit -- you became --
      (unintelligible). Did you know before that hit?

      GRANT: No. A friend of mine -- I guess he would sing an album
      release singing at a department store in Nashville. And he'd stand
      in line and they'd give you a Vince Gill CD and two T-shirts.

      GILL: It didn't take long. Only about nine people there.

      (laughter)

      GRANT: And a friend of mine, Joanna, was there. And she said hey, I
      bought this Vince Gill CD. I mean, I knew who he was, but I'd never
      owned a CD of his. And it was a -- "I Still Believe in You" was the
      CD. And it was filled with great songs. And I was so captivated with
      his voice. I would carry my little CD player around the house...

      KING: Wow.

      GRANT: ...in the kitchen, doing dishes, you know, into the -- by the
      fire and...

      KING: You were...

      GRANT: Had I not married him, I would have been a stalker. I have a
      lot of empathy for stalkers.

      (laughter) KING: You understand the stalker?

      GRANT: I do. I understand how you can get -- I mean not a weirdo
      stalker.

      KING: No, but you can get wrapped up in something?

      GRANT: I know how you can be so compelled by somebody else's gift,
      and how you truly can feel connected to somebody.

      KING: But why did it work if you were country and blue grass and she
      was gospel?

      GILL: Why did the song work?

      KING: Yes, why did the two of you work? It would seem that that's
      polar opposites, as you said?

      GILL: Well, I mean, for me, I actually came and worked on her
      record, which was a big pop hit called "House of Love." And while I
      may love and embrace country music and blue grass music, I was also
      blessed with the talent to hear the difference in whatever music you
      do. And my voice doesn't sound like a country voice when you hear it
      sometimes. So it was on a pop record. And it was no stretch that I
      could do that job.

      KING: How did you come the gospel route?

      GRANT: I...

      KING: Your religious background?

      GRANT: Grew up going to church. When I was in high school, got
      involved with a really dynamic youth group. And I've always felt
      like that my -- what I really wanted to do was communicate. And I
      did it through singing, but I've not felt like hey, my voice is
      really my strong suit. I was never that sing one song and I knew
      they were going to give me a standing ovation. I would just think --
      I'd try to hit all the notes.

      KING: What made it for you?

      GRANT: What made it for -- I think...

      KING: Yes, you know, his song, what made it for you? When did the
      public become aware of Amy Grant?

      GRANT: Oh, well, slowly. My first record came out, I was a senior in
      high school. And I would do music festivals. I'd sing in coffee
      shops. I mean, when I was in high school, one time I had some girls
      call up saying we're cooking dinner for boyfriends. Would you come
      serenade us, just be background music? And I said sure, you know.

      KING: You were a prop?

      GRANT: I was just glad to be under the radar, truly.

      KING: So what made -- was there a record hit?

      GRANT: Yes.

      KING: Which was?

      GRANT: My senior year in college, I put out a record called "Age to
      Age." And it had several songs on it, none of which I had written,
      even though I was writing, that went very -- were very popular. And
      one is called "El Shaddai." And it's just a song of all the Hebrew
      names of God. And...

      KING: How was the platinum hit?

      GRANT: And that was, yes, in fact the studio where we recorded that
      was called Caribou Ranch. Jimmy Gercio (ph), who was real
      instrumental in Chicago days, it was his place.

      KING: In Nashville or Chicago?

      GRANT: No, this was -- in Colorado, right outside Nederland,
      Colorado. And then, I think in gospel music or contemporary
      Christian music, maybe a quarter of a million sales was out the roof.

      KING: Sure.

      GRANT: Like nobody did that. I got resigned -- my first record deal,
      they said if you can sell 20,000, you get another contract. But the
      family atmosphere, everybody was up there with their families. The
      musicians' families were in the mountains, dinner by lantern light.
      It was just unbelievable.

      And Jimmy said I think you're going to sell a million copies of this
      record, which was unheard of, unheard of. And I said if we sell a
      million copies, we're all flying back here and toasting with
      champagne. And...

      KING: You did?

      GRANT: We sold million, but we didn't go back. We did go back and
      cut another record.

      KING: When did you know about Amy Grant?

      GILL: Oh, gosh. I heard her records probably in the early '80s
      sometime. And I can't remember which song, but I do remember I heard
      her voice. And I pulled the car over and I said I have to listen to
      this. I can't drive in traffic. I just have to hear this. Her voice
      was -- is really compelling.

      (SINGING)

      GILL: Just a quality in it that is so appealing. And there are
      certain singers like that. Well, Amy will tell you, she's not the
      greatest singer in the world. She doesn't have the voice of a Mariah
      Carey or somebody like that, but what she has is what Johnny Cash
      had, had a kind of voice that when you heard it, you know, knew who
      it was. And you were captivated by it. And she really is an amazing
      communicator.

      KING: You right all your own songs?

      GILL: Yes.

      KING: You, too?

      GRANT: I write and co-write.

      KING: We -- as we go to break, here's Vince Gill's big hit that
      began his career major wise, "I Still Believe in You." We'll be
      right back.

      (SINGING)

      (COMMERCIAL BREAK)

      KING: I'm told by my ace staff, Amy, that you grew up in a church,
      the Church of Christ, that doesn't have musical instruments?

      GRANT: Right.

      KING: You all sang a cappella?

      GRANT: Yes.

      KING: They don't believe in instruments?

      GRANT: Well, I think they just think in church, it should be just
      singing, which is a great way to learn to harmony.

      KING: Well, I'll bet.

      GRANT: Or at least pseudo harmony. I remember, you know, and there
      was no choir. Everybody would sit there with their song books. And
      we loved to sing. And I remember one time my oldest sister pointing
      to the music, and she said if you'll follow these little black
      notes, you'll be singing what the rest of us sing. OK, what an awful
      concept.

      KING: Are you also a believer? I mean, do you have faith?

      GILL: Yes, since I was a little boy.

      KING: You were raised in a strong Christian home?

      GILL: I was. And I was for a pretty good part of my life. Then my
      folks stopped going to church and I kind of sought it out on my own
      through friends and what not. And I went to a Baptist church all
      through high school. And then obviously, as I got out and started
      trying to make my way, it kind of fell by the wayside.

      KING: And now? GILL: It's going strong. I got a pretty good helper
      right here.

      KING: Is it Amy that brought you back in a sense?

      GILL: Oh, probably in a sense, yes, because I was not a church goer.
      And the faith aspect of my past life was one that was uncomfortable.
      And so, I didn't seek it out. And I regret that, but I do now. We're
      still kind of searching for a place we feel comfortable. And...

      KING: Yes? Have you ever lost your faith or doubted it?

      GRANT: No. I haven't. I mean, I think there were -- there have been
      stretches of time where I didn't know how to pray and where I just
      felt too ashamed to pray. And -- but I think really, it's the hard
      times that you go through in life, when you come through the other
      side and you realize that faith or anything about religion is not
      about our performance as people. It's about receiving the grace and
      love of God through Jesus. And you've grown up and been a pretty
      good kid, which I was a pretty good kid, you can kind of confuse who
      the good guy is. And you go through your adult life. And you really
      know what it feels like to fail and fall on your face in a lot of
      ways, public and private.

      KING: Yes. When your dilemma was public, when the people were
      writing about the two of you, did it affect your work?

      GILL: Gosh, I don't know that it affected my work. It affected my
      heart. You know, just more than anything from a protective
      standpoint for Amy because I cared for her and just -- I just -- I
      struggled with people, you know, I do anyway. I really -- I have a
      heard time with the whole cynical side of the way life has become.
      I'm a real -- maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't -- I like seeing
      the best in people.

      KING: Me, too.

      GILL: And I can't -- I just couldn't fathom how here's someone that,
      you know, struggled and made some mistakes, and we're all going to
      make them, and the judgment that would come, I found alarming.

      KING: Why don't people want to see other people happy?

      GILL: I don't know. I think they do, but I just think everybody's so
      hell bent on having an opinion, that it's gotten -- it's just gotten
      out of whack, you know. Everybody seems to have to have an opinion
      on everything. And I'm -- you know, I watched all this controversy
      with people speaking out about the war and these things going on in
      our country. And I just -- I think people are getting sick and tired
      of hearing celebrities spout off their beliefs on this and that.

      So I keep mine pretty close to the vest and have never used the fact
      that I've done well as a platform to start trying to convince people
      how they should or shouldn't think.

      KING: You too, Amy?

      GRANT: Well, I'm listening to what he's saying. And I'm thinking
      about this time that we were totally off the subject, we were at a --
      some place where there was like an open mike. And a fellow got up
      to sing. And whew, man, his voice was awful, truly awful. And when
      Vince was talking about seeing the best in people, and I would never
      like roll my eyes where anybody could see it, but after he sang, I
      said, God, what do you think about that guy's voice, thinking at
      least between the two of us, and he always takes me by surprise,
      because he does not reach for the cynical comment. And he said isn't
      it amazing every time somebody opens their voice, you feel like
      you're hearing just a little bit of their soul?

      I'm like, yes. You do. You know, but it's true. That is true. It's a
      vulnerable thing to open your mouth and sing. And I just thought
      that's why I love and respect him.

      KING: Boy.

      GRANT: He is not naive on any level. And he sees it all and always
      has a real good feeling about the lay of the land, but his heart is
      really unique.

      KING: Boy, I'd say.

      GRANT: Yes.

      KING: We're with Vince Gill and Amy Grant, two of the major stars in
      country music. Do you call it just country music or every music?

      GILL: Well, we call mine country music. This is a bona fide pop star
      here, baby.

      (laughter)

      KING: Major stars in the world of music. As we go to break, the
      music video from Amy Grant's smash single, "Good for Me."

      (SINGING)

      (COMMERCIAL BREAK)

      KING: We're back with Amy Grant and Vince Gill. They're in the
      middle of a special holiday music tour titled "Simply Christmas"
      with Amy Grant and Vince Gill. As we said at the top, Amy has sold
      over 22 million albums, won five Grammys, and the first Christian
      album ever to go platinum. Vince has won 15 Grammys, has taken home
      more Country Music Association awards than any other performer, and
      has had 27 number one hits.

      Roseanne Cash was here recently. You played in her band?

      GILL: I did, yes, we're old mates. And her ex-husband, Rodney and I
      are old, old friends from the mid '70s when I moved out here to
      southern California to start my career. And I played in Rodney's
      band and Roseanne's band for a few years.

      KING: Did you sing with her, too?

      GILL: Yes. And recorded.

      KING: Sing with Johnny?

      GILL: I did. We'd get to do a few TV things with Johnny. And...

      KING: What was that like?

      GILL: It was like hanging out with Moses.

      KING: Being with God?

      GILL: And God, you know. I mean he really is. I -- with all the
      attention to Johnny in this past year. So it's just been great to
      reflect on his impact. You know, and I really kind of feel like that
      he might singlehandedly be the most influential guy in history, more
      so than anybody. Even more than Elvis.

      KING: In your music?

      GILL: Just in music, period.

      KING: More than Elvis?

      GILL: Yes. I really believe that because he was embraced by every
      Johnny. Everybody really, really loved Johnny Cash because he was
      out there for the convicts. And he was there for the sinners. He was
      out there for what was fair. And I really admired him a lot.

      KING: Because nobody ever said I don't like Johnny Cash.

      GILL: I never heard it.

      KING: Did you ever work with him?

      GRANT: I did. I think it was Christmas of '96, we did a Billy Graham
      Christmas special together.

      KING: Sing with him?

      GRANT: I did not sing with him, no. But we were standing in a hotel
      lobby, it was probably 10 years ago. And he and June were checking
      in. And I tend to sort of let people have their space, but his dad
      had cancer and was treated by my father, who's a physician. And he
      crossed the lobby and said good to see you. How's your dad? And you
      know, to me, he just was -- seemed always to be embracing, you know,
      always pulling in young artists, always reaching out.

      KING: Do you share Vince's views of him as -- his force in music
      history? You don't have to.

      GRANT: No. I'm just thinking about it. I think because Vince is a
      player and he's been involved in so many different kinds of music,
      he probably feels that impact. You know what I mean? And I'm about
      halfway through the book, "Cash," that he -- his latest book. And I
      started reading it about six weeks ago. I'm a very slow reader. And
      we have a two year old, but I think of it more just as an amazing
      communicator, an amazing mind. And he was all that.

      KING: The two of you, when you work -- how often do you work? Now
      you're on tour together. Let's say in a year, how often do you like
      to work together? How often do you go off alone?

      GILL: Well, just when it's, you know, obviously the Christmas tour
      is a great way for us to, you know, have Amy's audience and my
      audience, you know, be able to both come. And the music's all about
      Christmas. So it's not a pop audience versus a country audience or
      anything like that. And it works. And little by little, you know, I
      was telling you earlier, I said we have no aim to become Steve and
      Edie of the new millennium. You know, so we just like, you know,
      because we both had long careers, 20, 30 year careers of doing this,
      I think we both respect each other enough to where I automatically
      don't think I should just get to be a part of her career and vice
      versa. You know, there's such a neat respect level that it just
      happens when it happens, when it feels right. And we don't...

      KING: How do you balance it with a two year old, though?

      GRANT: Well, it's been pretty easy up until now. I mean, we've kind
      of laid low. Not a lot of touring.

      KING: Take the baby with you?

      GRANT: Definitely, yes.

      KING: Yes? Now when you go off, do you go off in concert ties and he
      goes off on concern ties?

      GILL: Yes.

      KING: Baby goes with you?

      GRANT: Actually, she's gone with him alone, too. Once alone with me,
      once alone with him. And every other time, we take a sitter. It's a
      little nerve-wracking without a sitter, because there's nobody...

      KING: You mean he's with a little baby? Just him and the baby?

      GRANT: And then he'll take like a friend? Jenny was with you part of
      that time. But I think that's pretty cute. He says it's really a
      girl -- a babe magnet to have a dad here with a two year old.

      KING: I'll bet, yes.

      GRANT: You know, oh, she's so cute. Where's your wife? Oh, I've just
      got her on the road with me.

      (laughter) KING: Do you still enjoy singing together?

      GRANT: Yes. Oh, yes. And we do a lot of charity work together,
      things that are just, you know, private and stuff like that.

      KING: You mean you do somebody's throwing a fund-raiser at a house?
      You go sing?

      GILL: Yes, we do a lot of that actually. And mostly in Nashville,
      but some traveling, where you do the private shows.

      KING: Why are people in your field in all the worlds of
      entertainment, your field, the most accessible, do you think?

      GRANT: The most accessible?

      KING: Accessible. People can reach country music superstars easier
      than they reach rock superstars, pop superstars. actors, television
      stars. Country music -- you had a fanfare. I broadcasted a fanfare
      once. Every major country star at a booth.

      GRANT: Yes.

      KING: Standing at a booth like at a circus.

      GRANT: Yes.

      KING: Signing autographs. That don't happen in the rock world?

      GILL: There were a lot of years we really needed them. Most of the
      years. But it's true. I mean, you think about it. And a country
      music artist really, you know, a lot of times will come from not the
      greatest past, you know, and not you know, like Dolly Parton, for
      example, somebody that was really poor.

      KING: Oh, yes.

      GILL: And just what it was for her was just to be able to dress up
      and look -- wear all these wigs and nice clothes and all that stuff.
      And I just -- I feel like that because it was never the most popular
      genre of music, that everybody was grateful to get anything. You
      know, and there is...

      KING: So they don't forget where they came from?

      GILL: They don't forget where they came from. And plus, there's such
      a history of longevity in a country music artist's career. You can
      have hits for 10 or 20 years. And that builds a fan base. And those
      fans stay with you. They're not quite as, you know, going to go on
      to the next...

      KING: Move...

      GILL: Yes.

      KING: Why is that? Why do you hold your fan base? GILL: I think the
      demographic that enjoys this music is a little older, a little more
      settled in their ways.

      KING: More loyal?

      GILL: Well...

      KING: They know what they like.

      GILL: Yes, they do. You know, when you're 35 plus, you're not going
      to change a whole lot the rest of your life. When you're 16, you're
      going to go hey, I like this record. Now I like this record. Now I
      like this...

      KING: So you don't have like groups of 14 year olds?

      GILL: I don't.

      KING: Or appeal to 15 year olds?

      GILL: I don't. You know, but it is very much becoming a huge part of
      our industry, even with the country music world.

      KING: Really?

      GILL: And you're seeing artists come and go a lot quicker than maybe
      they did in years past.

      KING: We'll be right back with Amy Grant and Vince Gill. We'll now
      hear music from their album, "A Christmas to Remember." And by the
      way, listen closely and you'll hear her future husband, Vince Gill,
      singing back up on this.

      (SINGING)

      (COMMERCIAL BREAK)

      KING: We're back with the Gills.

      GRANT: You almost said it, I heard you.

      KING: Yes, I almost said the Grants.

      GRANT: Yes.

      GILL: You know it's my middle name?

      KING: From birth?

      GILL: Yes.

      KING: You know, there's a term in Jewish that applies to the two of
      you. It's called "bashirta." That was meant to meet. It's a great
      word. It's a Yiddish word, "bashirta." You were "bashirt." You were
      meant to meet. Think I had the same thing with my wife. You were
      meant to meet. It could happen when you're 70. It could happen when
      you're 12.

      Then there's one "bashirta" in a lifetime. You only get
      one "bashirta." What did you name your daughter and why?

      GILL: Bashirta.

      (laughter)

      GILL: Her name is Corinna.

      KING: Corinna, Corinna.

      GILL: Exactly.

      KING: Who had that hit?

      GILL: Everybody I think at one point. Bob Wills had the one I
      remember most.

      KING: Is that why you named her Corinna, because of that song?

      GILL: Yes, I like the song, but I also love the name, because when
      she was born, she had these big eyes and more hair than you can ever
      imagine. She had hair to her shoulders when she was born.

      GRANT: It was just on her shoulders.

      GILL: Was it? OK.

      GRANT: To clear up.

      GILL: It was long. I mean it was -- they all said it was more hair
      than they'd ever seen on a baby.

      KING: Did you like Corinna right away?

      GRANT: Well...

      KING: No?

      GRANT: ...it was not familiar to me. It's not a southern name. And...

      KING: What did you want, Mary Beth Lou?

      GRANT: No. But something. We -- my family, we always kind of name
      names that everybody's already been named. No, your last name is
      your first name. And -- but she looked so exotic. Her skin was so
      dark and her hair was just this black mop. And Vince said, we both
      agreed she needs a very exotic name. And...

      KING: So you got used to Corinna?

      GRANT: Well, I didn't, you know, I didn't...

      KING: You fought it? GRANT: My father called.

      KING: Oh.

      GRANT: And we were still in the hospital.

      KING: The doctor.

      GRANT: She was 2.5 days old. We hadn't named her yet. And he said,
      what are you thinking about today? What's her name going to be? And
      I sort of tossed off well Vince wants to name her Corinna. And then
      my father blasts into the song singing, but to hear my father sing
      it, it felt different. I said that's a beautiful name. So...

      KING: It's obvious. Have you recorded it?

      GILL: Not yet, no.

      GRANT: But you have sung it with her.

      GILL: Yes, I've sung it.

      KING: Shouldn't you record it?

      GILL: I should some day. I probably will.

      GRANT: Great.

      GILL: Brooks and Dunne just recently recorded it. So it might be a
      little too early.

      KING: In other words, there were a lot of hits to that song? It
      seems embedded. When was that song a hit?

      GILL: Well, I knew it when Bob Wills probably recorded it in
      the '40s or '50s.

      KING: It goes back that far? Was a country song?

      GILL: Bob Wills would have been, yes.

      KING: Yes.

      GRANT: Had a pop hit?

      GILL: It was a pop hit.

      GRANT: Then Taj Mahal did it. I mean, a lot of people have done it.

      KING: What kind of a little girl is she?

      GRANT: She's a whipper snapper. OK? A story about her?

      KING: Yes. GRANT: We're in the McDonald's line. I have three older
      children and a step, but three that I birthed beside Corinna, two
      teenagers and an 11-year old. And so, we're going through the line.
      And they're all giving me their special orders, which you know,
      McDonalds, it's not good for special orders. You just need to take
      what they offer.

      KING: My wife asks what's good today.

      GRANT: Yes, good. And but it's taken so long to get through the
      drive through. And I'm looking back at Corinna in her car seat, and
      she's two. I said, "Corinna, would you like a cheeseburger, french
      fries?" She hasn't said a word. And she goes, "I want the money."

      And all, she's just one liner after one liner. She's so funny.

      KING: Do you ever, I mean I don't want to use the word "bomb," are
      there nights when it doesn't click ever?

      GILL: Between us?

      KING: No on stage.

      (laughter)

      KING: Speaking of that, last night. No, a night where you're
      singing, you're halfway through and you say, I'm not moving them. I
      mean, they're clapping...

      GILL: Sure.

      KING: But it's not working.

      GILL: You know, over the years, if you think about how many times
      I've stepped on a stage and played music over the last 30 plus
      years, sure, there's a lot of nights you don't have it. You know,
      you're sick or the crowd...

      KING: And what do you do when you know you don't?

      GILL: Just play. You just play, do the best you can. It's all I do.

      GRANT: It'd be over soon.

      KING: Are there nights, Amy, when you're feeling that way and you
      don't think you're doing well, where you get the most applause? Are
      there some nights, because I've had some performers tell me, on the
      nights they think they're think they're not up to par, they get
      better reaction?

      GRANT: Right. Sure. Yes. I mean, you know, what it might be? It
      might be maybe I'm exhausted, tired, don't feel like doing a show. I
      know a little girl one night at a concert. And she came up to me and
      she had a woman with her that didn't look like her mom. Maybe an off
      night for me. And meeting her totally changed it because she is in a
      line of people. She comes up to meet me. And as she tries to talk,
      her face was just awash with tears.

      And I'm looking at the woman next to her saying, are you her mother?
      And she said no. And this girl was a young teenager, probably 14.
      And she said, no, I was her fourth grade teacher. And so, I'm trying
      to connect the dots. And the young girl finally collects herself.
      And she said, "my mother died when I was in the fourth grade. And I
      recently found a journal of hers of things that she loved and things
      she wanted to accomplish before her life was over. And one of those
      things was to meet you."

      Well...

      KING: Hey.

      GRANT: ...screw the crowd. I mean, not really, but all I thought was
      this whole night was about this child. And...

      KING: You had a good night.

      GRANT: It was amazing.

      KING: We'll be back with our remaining moments with -- what a night -
      - with Vince Gill and Amy Grant. Another single hit by Amy, "I Will
      Remember You."

      (SINGING)

      (COMMERCIAL BREAK)

      KING: We're back with Amy Grant and Vince Gill. What was the wedding
      ceremony like? Where were you married?

      GRANT: On a hilltop in the country. We -- and we mixed and mingled
      with our friends, like 75, 100 extended family.

      KING: In Tennessee?

      GRANT: Yes. There's a hilltop where these two...

      KING: There's a hilltop in Nashville?

      GRANT: It's very hilly in Nashville.

      KING: All right.

      GRANT: And especially south of town. These old cabins built in the
      1860s are still standing, just one room cabins. And we said our vows
      with all of our friends gathered around. And then we had kind of --
      you couldn't really see this, the national pipe and drum bagpipes
      came up over the hill after we said our vows. And it was just
      beautiful.

      The very first drone of the bagpipe, you kind of thought maybe it
      was a cow in trouble, just for a split second. And then it was...

      KING: That would work with the two of you, right? I mean, with all
      you've gone through, it could have been a cow.

      GRANT: Could have...

      KING: Tell me about the Christmas tour. Who -- is there a comedian
      on the bill?

      GILL: There is. Old friend Henry Cho...

      KING: So he opens?

      GILL: Well, actually not. What we're going to do is just kind of --
      Amy and I will start and we're just going to kind of all be in and
      around each other all night long. He's going to have...

      KING: And you'll come out...

      GILL: ...three or four bits intermingled in between the songs. And
      rather than...

      KING: It's a good kind of country humor?

      GILL: No, not necessarily.

      KING: No?

      GILL: He's an Asian guy from Knoxville, Tennessee.

      KING: An Asian guy...

      GILL: Yes, so he says he's South Korean. But he's very funny. And
      we're old golfing buddies. And Amy and I have done these Christmas
      shows for years. And said, you know, the one thing we have never
      done, and we've always brought other guests out to sing, and sing
      more Christmas song. And so let's take Henry out and make people
      laugh this year.

      KING: Do you do one nighters?

      GILL: Yes.

      KING: Do you hop by plane and go to...

      GRANT: Bus by bus.

      KING: Bus by bus.

      GRANT: Yes.

      KING: With how big a band?

      GRANT: 40 of us on stage.

      GILL: 40, 45.

      KING: 40 on stage? GILL: We're going to do some of the new songs,
      actually, that we've had as pop hits and country hits over the last
      few years, a segment of that. And...

      KING: That are not Christmas songs?

      GILL: Yes.

      GRANT: Right.

      GILL: Yes, there's a little bit of something for everybody.

      KING: How long a show was it, Amy?

      GRANT: With an intermission, 2.5 hours.

      KING: Boy you people, you really give it all, right? I mean, you
      work.

      GRANT: Oh, yes. We -- this was really a fun tour to put together
      because we really probably started talking into the spring, how do
      we want it to feel? And all those things take time, you know, to
      figure out. Especially like, we've never used video. Digging up old
      family pictures.

      KING: You have all that?

      GRANT: Trying to find snowball fights? Yes, I mean we're both kind
      of pack rats, but not organized. And just digging that up.

      KING: How close after Christmas do you work? This is December 4.
      We'll be done -- we'll be home on the 22nd.

      GRANT: I thought we had a show the 22nd.

      GILL: Well, maybe we do. Then we'll be home the 23rd.

      KING: Do you ever -- are you ever singing and you don't know what
      city you're in?

      GRANT: Oh, sure, yes. Yes.

      KING: You, Vince?

      GILL: I've got a pretty good handle on it.

      KING: So does that affect you?

      GILL: I've never said hello Cleveland and then Columbus...

      GRANT: No, I haven't either.

      KING: Like that commercial.

      GRANT: No, but like an early morning interview, you know, you wake
      up and you're dialing the number and you just can't think what area
      code -- where am I?

      KING: What city is this?

      GRANT: Yes.

      KING: Still have a minute left. Want to do a little Corinna, Corinna?

      (SINGING)

      GILL: There you go.

      KING: Thank you, guys. Vince...

      GILL: Thank you very much.

      GRANT: Thank you.

      KING: What an honor. Happy -- Merry Christmas. Amy Grant and Vince
      Gill in the middle of their special holiday music tour, "Simply
      Christmas" with Amy Grant and Vince Gill. Together they, have whew,
      Grammys, 20 Grammys together, millions of albums, 27 number one
      hits, other number one hits. First Christian -- trust me, we will
      not need a benefit for Vince Gill and Amy Grant. They'll be no
      charity function in which people will come to perform for them.

      We'll be back in a couple of minutes to close it out. Don't go away.

      (SINGING)

      KING: Thanks for joining us on this edition of LARRY KING LIVE with
      Amy Grant and Vince Gill. Stay tuned for more news around the clock
      on your most trusted name in news, CNN. See you tomorrow night. Good
      night.