[BUSINESS] Li Ka-Shing Interview with Bloomberg Markets

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2004
      Bloomberg Markets interviews Mr. Li Ka-shing
      Date: 22 Dec 2002
      http://www.lksf.org/eng/media/interview/20021222_01.shtml

      Q: You told Matt Winkler you don't plan to retire for a long time.
      You also said: "I will never be satisfied, like the Olympics."
      That's a good quote. Does it correctly reflect your drive and
      ambition?
      A: There is always much speculation over my retirement. It started
      when I was 55.

      Well, I have my own definition for the term "retirement". Life was
      extremely hard when I was young; today working without the burden of
      pressure to me is the same as the luxury of retirement. These few
      years, our Group has embarked on some new projects and is in
      exciting times. We plan all our projects meticulously. Our work is
      certainly challenging, but we are not under any pressure except for
      the pressure to outperform.

      Since many seem to be interested and concerned, I am happy to report
      that I am in good shape, and can rise to the opportunities and
      challenges of our times, and I embrace each project with enthusiasm.
      I also spend a lot of my time on education and medical care
      initiatives. This is a passion that I will never grow tired of. In
      fact, I consider it a lifelong endeavor.

      Q: You have a legendary capacity for hard work. But you have also
      built up a sophisticated and talented management team. What
      decisions do you take your self and what do you delegate? If you are
      ever forced to step down, who will succeed you and what impact will
      it have on your businesses?
      A: Over the years, our group's horizons have been expanding. We are
      now in 41 countries. With such a wide span of activities and
      geography, our company structure and corporate culture must seek to
      embrace the aspirations and concerns of our colleagues all over the
      world. I consider this of utmost importance.

      We are living in a dynamic age with multiple ideas and beliefs of
      correctness; this world is not deterministic and not still. A lot of
      management theories have suggested numerous ways on how a
      corporation could modernize structure and modify corporate culture
      to equip for a global economy.

      To me, when CKH took over Hutchison in 1979, I focused on
      establishing a management structure and corporate culture that could
      align the interests of management and shareholders and within which
      our executives have the maximum flexibility to realize the full
      scope of their professional expertise and enterprising spirit. Truly
      great talents with capabilities and strategy are extremely rare and
      the extra margin on inventiveness, courage and prudence is even
      rarer and must be rewarded.

      I started with identifying within the fluidity of Chinese
      philosophical thinking and the science of western management, the co-
      ordinates upon which we could format a seamless management
      structure. Building on this foundation, the company structure
      becomes a life-force that supports the development of each division
      of business. Even should I myself or any senior management retire
      from office, it would not have any real effect. Succession is not a
      concern at all.

      Q: On the question of risk, you're also exposed to another poorly
      performing sector-Hong Kong property. But you don't seem unduly
      worried. Why?
      A: "If you think, then you will be prepared. If you are prepared,
      then you will have no worries." A traditional Chinese thought that
      is practical in the business world. A decade ago, alarmed by the
      property frenzy, I decided to accelerate diversification to reduce
      our exposure in the real estate market. Before the Asian financial
      crisis struck, the signs of a bubble economy were already glaring.

      The Government's move to stabilize the property market is, to a
      certain extent, good news. Proactive economic policies might yield
      greater effects. The timing of economic policies determines the
      multiplying effects it has on the economy. Housing is a basic
      necessity. As people seek to improve their living environment, there
      will be continuous demand for residential property. Investment in
      real estate market should have reasonable prospects in the long run.
      Our Group will proceed conservatively in this area.

      Q: At the Hutchison and Cheung Kong results announcement, you seemed
      very disappointed by the critical treatment your family sometimes
      receives from the Hong Kong media. People may say they put 5 cents
      of every dollar in your pocket, but you also provide many jobs. Why
      do you think some people are so keen to attack you-especially given
      the respect your achievements have earned you over the years?
      A: First I want to point out, a responsible media company believes
      in being constructive; an irresponsible media company weakens the
      fabric of society for its own profit, at the expense of society.
      Some people delight in creating controversies and sensationalism;
      they blur and shift the line between right and wrong. They craftily
      take advantage of people's prejudices and biases to sensitize
      emotions to drive sales. They are advocating, not reporting. Beyond
      the fancy veil in the name of all kinds of justification you will
      see its true face-a money and power game.

      I have been working for over 60 years. I segregate news reports into
      two categories-those based on facts I certainly would view their
      criticisms and opinions with professionalism and objectivity. The
      others I won't pay any attention to. I am confident that the people
      of Hong Kong know me well. They know that I have worked hard to
      achieve my success. As both under the colonial government and at
      present the SAR government, my group has never received any special
      privileges. We have achieved considerable success in Hong Kong and
      overseas then and now. We have investments and operations in 41
      countries, and the last time I counted, our group employs over
      150,000 people internationally. I am sure more people in other
      countries will understand me now.

      All through these years, whether during the colonial administration
      or the SAR Government, I have always supported policies that focus
      on the economy and the people's livelihood. What saddens me most
      today is that Hong Kong is undergoing a difficult economic
      restructuring, and what we need is intellectual vigor, innovation
      and insight, but some popular media have gone in the opposite
      direction and are corroding the public en masse towards intellectual
      torpor. This is truly regrettable.

      Q: I think sometimes people overlook the amount of charitable work
      you do in Hong Kong and mainland China. I know you don't want to
      boast about this, but would you like to tell us a little about the
      charitable work you are funding and the reasons behind the it?
      A: Our young people, particularly those that were raised in
      affluent societies such as in Hong Kong, Europe or America enjoy
      many, many privileges and take things for granted. It is more
      difficult for them to feel for the less fortunate. Despite my
      achievements, I can still remember poverty. I told my children and
      grandchildren that "The fruit that you eat will never taste as
      beautiful as the fruit that I ate during the turmoil of war. You
      will never cherish it as much as I do."

      In 1980 I set up Li Ka Shing Foundation; we focused mainly on
      education and medical care projects. It is my belief that knowledge
      can change one's fate. My father died of Tuberculosis when we could
      not afford medical care. I know the feeling of helplessness and
      loneliness. This is why I am very dedicated to developing better
      medical care services. We have programs in many areas of medicine,
      including research, education and training, hospice care, and
      medical aid for the poor in remote regions of the PRC such as
      nomadic tribes in the deserts in Xinjiang.

      Q: The South China Morning Post quoted you as saying that
      corporations should pay more tax and poor people less. Is that
      correct?
      A: Like all Hong Kong people, I would like Hong Kong to prosper. I
      am always supportive of well planned and executed Government
      policies that are beneficial to the long-term development of Hong
      Kong. If the government is prepared to introduce a detailed plan to
      raise taxes and lower public spending I agree that corporations
      should take up the responsibility and pay more taxes. As for giving
      the middle and lower classes more tax breaks, Hong Kong's present
      tax base is already quite narrow. I'll leave it to the experts to
      debate whether the tax base should be broadened or further narrowed.

      Q: What is the best deal you have done in your career? How would you
      rate the acquisition of Hutchison shares from the Hongkong Bank in
      1979? How did you feel when you realized you had won control of that
      historic company and penetrated the British-dominated business
      elite?
      A: With such an encompassing range of businesses, it is inevitable
      that some businesses progress at a faster pace than others. Our
      managers are constantly making strategic adjustments to adapt to
      changing market conditions. We have done so many notable deals, but
      the sale of Orange to Mannesmann in 1999 was the most memorable in
      recent years. It was the most profitable transaction in history, and
      represented a win-win-win situation for shareholders of Hutchison,
      Mannesmann and Orange.

      Our acquisition of Hutchison Whampoa was indeed very significant.
      But if I had not taken control of Hutchison at that time, I would
      have purchased another foreign-owned conglomerate. Back in the late
      70's, we had already established a solid foundation with Cheung
      Kong, and I began to take notice of foreign-owned companies, whose
      shareholders were able to control sizeable assets with only a
      relatively minor stake. I had a clear intention of taking over one
      of these companies with underperforming assets and developing it
      into a multinational corporation. At the time, Hutchison had
      negligible operations outside of Hong Kong. Now it has investments
      and operations in 41 countries and employs 150,000 worldwide. When
      the transaction was announced, the press neglected one important
      factor in Hongkong Bank's decision to sell the Hutchison shares to
      me-Hongkong Bank's management was confident that I am better suited
      to lead this company. I believe I have not disappointed them.
      Hutchison Whampoa is now a world renowned multinational conglomerate.

      When I first took control of Hutchison, there were many internal
      problems that others were not aware of. I eradicated those problems,
      improved the company's operations and grew the company. Some people
      seem to think that the acquisition of Hutchison was a sweet deal for
      me, but only because they did not know the full picture.

      Q: What is your biggest challenge ahead?
      A: The most challenging issue raised by globalization is how we can
      all get along with each other in our race against time. Corporate
      leaders must possess far-sighted vision, detailed action plans,
      macro-thinking, and a global outlook. To get ahead in the race, they
      must also possess a deep understanding of their own organization and
      that of their competitors.

      Q: How important to you is transparency? Despite frequent criticism
      of Asian family companies, one investor I spoke to compared you
      favorably with Jardines and made the point that your more positive
      relationship with investors contributed in part to your success and
      Jardine Matheson declining in importance.
      A: We believe in the integration of western management science and
      Chinese philosophical thinking. We believe in striking a balance
      between shareholder interest and corporate governance with strict
      adherence to regulations. Our different businesses are managed by
      consummate professionals. Our strong yet flexible structure allows
      us to move quickly to take advantage of narrow windows of
      opportunity in the fast-paced commercial world. As the chairman and
      a shareholder, I have a duty and responsibility to create long-term
      value and achieve short-term returns for all shareholders.

      Q: What do you get the most pleasure in life from? And what are your
      other interests?
      A: It is difficult to describe what life's pleasures are. To me,
      reading a good book, hitting a nice shot, finding a meaningful
      charitable cause, conversing with close friends, getting on with
      colleagues-these are all life's pleasures that I appreciate. But
      what I truly enjoy is putting my time and energy into developing
      education and healthcare projects. Rather than simply writing a
      cheque, I am quite involved in the development process of some
      projects. Assessing the project's effectiveness allows me to see the
      real value of money and the meaning of my work. This is the greatest
      joy.

      Q: Can I check some things that are often written about you: Do you
      still wear a $50 Citizen or Seiko watch? Is it always set 8 minutes
      fast? Do you still drive a relatively modest car? Do you still live
      in the same house you have lived in for 20 years? How important are
      material things to you?
      A: Except for the fact that my watch clocks a full 20 minutes
      ahead, your facts are basically correct. My standard of living has
      remained at about the same level as when my business first began to
      take off in 1957, perhaps even more modest. I have always enjoyed a
      simple lifestyle. I have very modest needs in terms of material
      comfort. Spiritual peace and comfort, however, are very important to
      me. I only have a desire to do more meaningful deeds.

      Q: What's your China strategy and your view of China's potential?
      You were an early player in property and ports. What future
      opportunities do you see? How has the ATV outcome affected Tom.com's
      efforts to become a major Greater China media player?
      A: I am Chinese and I have a great love for my country. I more
      cherish democratic and humanistic values; they are dear to my heart.
      The first time I returned to visit China was in 1977. My activities
      on the mainland were primarily charity-related. It was until the
      early 1990's, when Deng Xiaoping made his famous southern tour and
      committed the country on the path to further reform and opening-up
      policies that we commenced venturing into China. In comparison, we
      have more investments in European and American companies. To date,
      we have investments in China of around HK$60 billion, or about 12%
      of our Hong Kong-listed assets.

      The Chinese economy has grown significantly over the years.
      Following its accession to the WTO, commercial activities have
      become better regulated, falling in line with international
      standards. It is certainly very encouraging, and our Group will
      continue to explore new opportunities on the mainland.

      Tom.com was first established as a technology company developing web-
      based platform for customs-related programs in China. It further
      expanded to develop value-added services for telecommunications and
      content-building including sports and entertainment. Purchasing a
      stake in ATV was just one of the possibilities that came along. As
      always, the key to our investment decision is simply whether it is a
      sound and good investment opportunity. It has no particular bearing
      on the TOM Group. For reasons unknown the whole affair was
      completely blown out of proportion by the media.

      Q: Are there any other points concerning your businesses you feel
      investors need to be better informed on?
      A: All of our businesses are making good progress, and we are
      constantly exploring new opportunities as they arise. Our 3G and
      life sciences units in particular have excellent prospects. I have
      absolute confidence in the continuing development of our Group.

      Q: Finally, can I ask one question about your son Richard and PCCW.
      PCCW's shares have been near their all-time lows and many people
      feel you will one day acquire the company. Is there any truth in
      this? Do you have any business connection with Richard these days? I
      heard he didn't tell you in advance about his bid for HK telecom. Is
      he running completely his own race? And aren't you actually
      competing in some areas?
      A: Richard informed me of his decision to acquire Hongkong Telecom
      just hours before it was publicly announced. PCCW is doing pretty
      well, and its share price has rebounded strongly from its lows of
      two months ago. Cheung Kong and Hutchison do not have any ties to
      PCCW. Our senior executives, however, do enjoy a good relationship
      with their senior management. Obviously some of the businesses our
      companies operate are similar, but we continue to compete on a level
      playing field with each other and with other companies. We have a
      duty and a responsibility to act in the best interests of our
      shareholders.

      Q: You are investing $16.7 billion in 3G when your rivals are
      pulling out. Is this the biggest bet you are taking in your career?
      What do you know that your rivals don't? And how do you hope to pull
      it off?
      A: 3G is not a gamble. People are quite wrong about it. It is a
      fully funded business plan which is in the process of rolling out.
      We have over 4,500 people earning a living to develop the 3G
      technology into various exciting services.

      3G takes the best elements of mobile telephony-convenience and
      freedom-and combines these with the best of the Internet-
      interactivity and depth of content. So you have two of the most
      successful consumer technology revolutions in the history of
      mankind, brought together in one device in the palm of the
      consumer's hand.

      As far as we know, our rivals are pulling out for reasons that have
      everything to do with their own immediate financial circumstances
      and nothing to do with the underlying technology behind 3G. I have
      every confidence that 3G will be a great success.

      Q: Some people say you have great influence in Beijing which is how
      your businesses do so well. Yet developing Oriental Plaza in Beijing
      was tough even for you. I think it has taken about 10 years and cost
      $2 billion or more. Likewise getting approvals for various
      developments in Shantou University has not always been easy. How
      influential are you with Beijing's leadership? And what hope for
      other businessmen who have the same problems?
      A: At times I felt perplexed by the misguided logic of some who
      purport to analyze me. My love for my country does not necessarily
      compromise the democratic and humanistic values and principles that
      I hold dear to my heart. These last 20 years, China's economy has
      made good solid progress, not just the size of the economy, but also
      in governing rules and regulations. They now also embrace investing
      in human capital which would reap a better and more mature economic
      environment.