[TV] Paula Yoo (Writer on "West Wing")

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2004
      NEW VOICES AWARD 2003
      Congratulations to the Winners of LEE & LOW BOOKS'
      Fourth Annual NEW VOICES AWARD
      http://www.leeandlow.com/editorial/voices4.html

      We are proud to announce that PAULA YOO of Los Angeles, California,
      is the winner of our New Voices Award for 2003. Her story, SIXTEEN
      YEARS IN SIXTEEN SECONDS—THE STORY OF DR. SAMMY LEE, OLYMPIC GOLD
      MEDALIST was inspired by the true story of Dr. Lee's hard work and
      dedication that led to his place in history as the first Asian
      American athlete to win a gold medal at the Olymipics.

      Paula Yoo has a B.A. from Yale University, an M.S. in journalism
      form Columbia University, and an M.F.A in creative writing from
      Warren Wilson College. She has taught English at Glendale Community
      College and taught violin to underprivileged children in South
      Central, Los Angeles. Recently she was a staff writer during season
      four of NBC's "The West Wing," and she currently writes for the new
      FOX show "Tru Calling."

      ================

      #408 - "Process Stories" - (Nov. 13, 2002)
      http://westwing.bewarne.com/fourth/4episodes.html
      http://www.westwingepguide.com/S4/Episodes/75_PS.html

      teleplay: Aaron Sorkin, story: Paula Yoo & Lauren Schmidt, d:
      Christopher Misiano
      As election night continues, Sam faces the probability that he will
      have to run for the California 47th Congressional District seat. And
      various couples celebrate the election victories.

      #416 - "The California 47th" - (Feb. 19, 2003)
      http://www.westwingepguide.com/S4/Episodes/83_C47TH.html

      teleplay: Aaron Sorkin, story: Lauren Schmidt & Paula Yoo, d:
      Vincent Misiano
      Bartlet and some of his staff goes out to California to campaign for
      Sam. But the Republicans pick this time to announce their tax plan
      and the President is caught since announcing his would "kill" Sam.

      #504 - "Han" - (Oct. 22, 2003)
      http://westwing.bewarne.com/fifth/5episodes.html
      http://thewestwing.tktv.net/Episodes5/4.html

      teleplay: Peter Noah, story: Peter Noah & Matt Goffman and Paula
      Yoo, d: Christopher Misiano
      A cultural exchange pianist from North Korea wants to defect as U.S.
      officials think they are close to an important agreement with his
      country.

      ===============

      ARTICLE
      Tube: Juddernaut Suddenly Susan-less, Judd Nelson streaks ahead with
      a string of movies and a laid-back outlook on life
      ( People ) Tom Gliatto Paula Yoo in Los Angeles; 10-18-1999
      http://www.judd-website.co.uk/articles3.htm

      Step into Judd Nelson's modest two-bedroom Los Angeles ranch-style
      house and the first thing you notice are the gargoyles, a half-dozen
      of them, grimacing and glaring at you. "They say gargoyles protect
      you from evil," muses Nelson, still most famous as a charter member
      of the '80s Brat Pack. "Maybe I should've gotten more."

      Nelson could have used their help last month. While he was out
      walking his Staffordshire bull terrier, Tallulah Bighead, the dog
      began chasing a squirrel, with owner in tow. "The squirrel lost his
      tail, I got injured"--a torn tendon near his thumb--"and the dog
      thought it was a victory," says Nelson, laughing.

      Otherwise, the 39-year-old actor is the one feeling like a winner.
      After a decade-long slump in films, Nelson made a comeback three
      years ago as Brooke Shields's hyperkinetic editor, Jack Richmond, on
      NBC's Suddenly Susan. Now, having amicably departed that sitcom last
      spring, he has returned in an NBC-TV movie, Mr. Rock 'n' Roll: The
      Alan Freed Story (Oct. 17), playing the '50s radio deejay and rock
      pioneer whose career took a nosedive after he was accused of taking
      money in return for pushing certain songs. Before those headlines,
      though, Freed was best known for his on-air enthusiasm. And Nelson,
      like Freed, "is incredibly energetic," says the movie's director,
      Andy Wolk. "The kind of patter Freed had, Judd has. If he wasn't an
      actor, he could have been a deejay, yapping all the time."

      He has a lot to yap about. In the past year, Nelson has done seven
      movies (including next month's Light It Up, in which he plays a
      likable New York City high school teacher). "I now consider myself a
      plow-horse actor," he says. "Strap that yoke on my neck." It's a far
      cry from the boogie nights that regularly landed him in the
      tabloids. Still single, he hasn't given up is love for R&B or Harley
      Davidsons, but now he no longer wakes up, he says, and wonders, Why
      was I singing sea chanteys on top of that car?"

      "I think he has matured considerably," says his father, Leonard
      Nelson, a prominent attorney in Portland, Maine. Leonard and his
      wife, Merle, a court mediator in domestic cases and a former state
      assemblywoman, raised Judd there with his two younger sisters, Eve,
      37, a lawyer, and Julie Nelson Forsyth, 33, a businesswoman. A good
      student and athlete at St. Paul's School in Concord, N.H., Nelson
      opted for Haverford College, outside Philadelphia, where "I took all
      the philosophy courses I could and then left," he says, after two
      years.

      That's because at college he had discovered his true passion:
      theater. With his parents' blessing, Nelson moved to New York City
      in 1980 to study acting; soon after, he left for .A. He made his
      film debut in 1984's Making the Grade and then--along with the likes
      of Molly Ringwald and Emilio Estevez--got tagged as a Brat Packer in
      1985, first with The Breakfast Club and later St. Elmo's Fire. "Most
      of us who were listed in this group," he says, amused, "didn't even
      know each other."

      After St. Elmo's, though, Nelson became well-known in nightclubs,
      embarking on a high-profile social life that reportedly included
      romance with then-Beverly Hills 90210 star Shannen Doherty. He
      occasionally misbehaved. In 1987 he was fined $300 for disorderly
      intoxication at a West Palm Beach, Fla., lounge. Onscreen, he played
      dislikable characters in stinkers like 1986's Blue City and sleepers
      like 1991's New Jack City.

      Joining Suddenly Susan in 1996 "was actor camp for me," Nelson
      says. "It was very light and airy and simple." But after the suicide
      last March of costar David Strickland, Nelson no longer felt like
      laughing. "David was the funniest person of the group," says
      Nelson. "He was the mortar, and now we were just a group of bricks."

      Media brickbats still come his way. Nelson shrugs off tabloid
      reports, including one about a spat he allegedly had in September
      with now ex-girlfriend Kelly Stafford. Besides, Nelson, who's
      currently unattached, says his brawling days are behind him. A
      Muhammad Ali fan--proudly, Nelson displays the fighter's gloves in a
      glass case in his home--he regards show business as "a boxing match
      with endless rounds. In some, you take a hellacious beating. In
      others, you're almost down but you gotta get back up. The guys are
      snapping their towels at you. And," he concludes, "you get up."

      --Tom Gliatto

      --Paula Yoo in Los Angeles