{PROFILE] Julian Fong & RenderMan

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2003
      JULIAN FONG
      http://www.levork.org/about_long.html

      named: Julian Fong
      aged: 25
      temperament: cynically sanguine
      lives in: Seattle, WA, by way of Emeryville, CA and Vancouver, BC
      works at: Pixar on "RenderMan" (http://www.deathfall.com/article.php?
      sid=1601)
      plays: piano, cello
      exercises by: rock climbing, formerly taekwondo
      watches: bad martials arts movies, opera
      reads: Nick Hornby, Neil Stephenson, Douglas Coupland
      drinks: Jack Daniels, Guinness
      listens to: classical, classic rock, limited heavy metal

      =========

      My name is Julian Fong. I answer to Jules, but usually only to close
      friends. Note that my middle initial is Y, not H, nor do I get
      really excited about giant armored robots. As a result, this means I
      have never posted a message on rec.games.mecha, and probably never
      will. If you think I'm mistaken, then you're probably looking for
      someone else.

      Past

      I was born in 1978 in St. John's, Newfoundland, which flags me as
      both a townie, and a Newfie. (Substitute the word "Newfie"
      for "blonde" in every dumb blonde joke you've ever heard and then
      some, and you get the idea what this means in Canada.) I moved to
      Vancouver, BC when I was 4 and lived there for most of my life. As a
      result, I don't have any trace of a Newfoundlander brogue. I still,
      however, like blueberries. And my mom still sometimes cooks the
      strangest brewis recipe you've ever seen.

      While growing up, I spent many of my formative years living in
      grocery stores (or the house attached to one). This partially
      explains my attitude adjustment problems (I have been held up once
      at gunpoint, although in retrospect it may have just been a flare
      gun), but on the plus side, I'm still very good at making change,
      and can calculate in my head 7% of any monetary amount.

      After surviving high school, I spent five years at UBC getting my
      Computer Science degree. In general, I didn't like school, and it
      returned the favour, although I suppose I did fairly well. What
      ultimately kept me sane and made me employable was UBC's co-op
      program, which gave me the opportunity to work at the NRC,
      Electronic Arts, and Vertigo.

      After graduation and 8 months of noodling around in UBC research
      projects and their offspring, I moved to the city of Emeryville,
      California, in order to work at Pixar. I stayed in the Bay Area for
      three years working as a technical support engineer for
      PhotoRealistic RenderMan rendering software, and related tools.

      Present

      Fed up with continuous sunshine, the insane cost of living, and the
      car-centric way of life in the Bay Area, I moved to Seattle in March
      of 2002. I still work for Pixar from here; however, I am now a full-
      fledged software engineer, developing almost exclusively for Pixar's
      PRMan.

      Hobbies

      I used to spend a lot of time playing piano ("classical"
      repertoire), taking lessons with Lorraine Ambrose at the Vancouver
      Academy and probably disappointing her when I decided to major in
      Computer Science. I still keep it up, although I've switched over
      more to the cello, which I find much more challenging and rewarding
      in different ways. I love chamber music and try to find any
      opportunity to play it.

      I used to participate in taekwondo at the UC Martial Arts Program of
      UC Berkeley, where I reached the status of 6th kup (green belt). I
      still regularly go gym climbing, formerly at the Berkely Ironworks,
      now at Vertical World.

      I watch far too much trashy TV, the occasional trashy movies ("high
      concept" ones especially), and have been known to read voraciously.

      I collect Lego. I've been known to dabble in stop-motion animation.
      I sometimes pretend that I have artistic talent.

      Other Oddities

      The thing on the left which also infests this site in various
      forms is supposed to be a square fish. The thing on the right is an
      abstract representation of my Chinese name. They're related
      because "square fish" is a horrible pun on my name either my Dad or
      my sister invented ages ago. Unfortunately, by the time I got around
      to thinking about it squarefish.com was taken by some web design
      company.