Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

[HISTORY] Japanese-Americans Relive Barbed Era

Expand Messages
  • eugenia_beh
    Japanese-Americans Relive Barbed Era By SARAH KERSHAW The New York Times HUNT, Idaho, June 29 — After six decades, memories of life at an internment camp
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2003
      Japanese-Americans Relive Barbed Era
      The New York Times

      HUNT, Idaho, June 29 — After six decades, memories of life at an
      internment camp deep in a desolate wasteland of southern Idaho were
      foggy and fragmented, all but the most searing images diluted by

      Those who were interned here could remember the railroad tracks and
      the day the train, with all its window shades drawn and armed guards
      on every car, pulled into the middle of nowhere to deposit them in
      this strange place. It was the Minidoka Relocation Center, which
      housed 13,000 Japanese-Americans rounded up from their homes in
      Idaho, Oregon and Washington and sent here in World War II.

      Almost everyone remembered the canal, where a 10-year-old boy drowned
      and a desperate woman interned at the camp took her own life. And no
      one, even those who were young children, could forget the winter
      cold, the summer heat or the dust storms — the wooden barracks
      covered with tar paper kept none of that out.

      This weekend, about 110 internees and the children, grandchildren and
      great-grandchildren of internees made what was, for most, the first
      pilgrimage to what is now the Minidoka Internment National Monument.
      The three-day event was organized by four Japanese-American
      organizations in the Northwest.

      Most of the survivors of Minidoka were children when they were sent
      here to one of the 10 internment camps where more than 120,000
      Japanese-Americans were forcibly relocated after Japan attacked Pearl
      Harbor and President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed Executive Order
      9066, authorizing the military to detain anyone perceived as a threat
      to national security.

      The internees are now in their 60's, 70's and 80's, but this
      weekend's trip reawakened images of a childhood spent at Minidoka:
      playing with marbles, making their own toys, eating rancid Columbia
      River smelt for a week straight, running from rattlesnakes,
      decorating sagebrush bushes for Christmas and wearing paper tags
      bearing a number assigned to each family. They remembered how their
      mothers cried as they waited in line for food outside the mess hall,
      and how their fathers, for decades after they left the camp, would
      never talk about it.

      Sally Sudo, 67, who lives in Minneapolis, and her sister, Nobu Ikeda,
      71, who lives in Upland, Calif., met in Salt Lake City and drove to
      Idaho to see the camp for the first time since they left in 1944.
      Their parents and eight other siblings were relocated from Seattle in
      1942, and the family was given two rooms: Block 14, Barrack 2, Rooms
      C and D.

      As they milled about this morning, after a somber ceremony and a tour
      of the grounds, Ms. Sudo and Mrs. Ikeda, like the others here this
      weekend, wore paper tags showing the number that had been assigned to
      their families during the internment. Their number was 11872.

      Ms. Sudo, who was 6 when she arrived at Minidoka, said her family was
      temporarily held for three months at a fairground in western
      Washington before being sent to Minidoka.

      "One day, they said, `Your camp is ready. Board the train,' " Ms.
      Sudo said. She recalled a frightening trip on the train, with the
      armed guards and shuttered windows.

      Her family had no idea where they were going, she said. Her father, a
      restaurant worker, had immigrated to Seattle from Japan in 1899 —
      about the time when many Japanese immigrants were settling on the
      West Coast — and he was not an American citizen, which Ms. Sudo said
      made him afraid to fight the relocation.

      "For my father, it was devastating," she said. "He was 64 or 65 when
      he left camp, and he had lost everything. He lived until he was 88,
      but he didn't really live, he just existed."

      Both sisters said that returning to Minidoka this weekend made them
      deeply angry about the internment.

      "When I think back," said Mrs. Ikeda, who was 10 when the family was
      sent to the camp, "I think that if I were older and able to speak
      out, I feel I would have resisted."

      In 1988, Congress passed the Civil Liberties Act, which acknowledged
      the injustice of the internment of Japanese-Americans, the largest
      forced relocation in the nation's history. A formal apology was made,
      and each internee was awarded $20,000 in restitution.

      The Minidoka monument is the remnant of a camp of 600 barracks that
      once stretched 33,000 acres across what today is mostly farmland. The
      camp closed in October 1945, and what is left — including the stone
      entrance gate and several boulders marking a flower garden grown by
      the internees — was declared a national historic site in 1991.

      Sylvia K. Kobayashi, 79, who spent a year and a half at the camp when
      she was a child and who now lives in Anchorage, said she was
      reluctant to return because she had tried to forget her time at
      Minidoka, but friends persuaded her to come, she said.

      "I closed the door to that part of my life because it was so sad and
      upsetting," Ms. Kobayashi told a group of about 50 internees and
      relatives of internees, who gathered at a hotel in Twin Falls, about
      20 miles from the camp, to tell stories on Saturday night. "It
      brought back too many bad memories. Life goes on, and we must go on
      with our lives and find happier times, which I did."

      But others said reliving those painful years would help them find
      peace and encouraged other internees to tell their stories to anyone
      who would listen.

      Several people also drew parallels between the internment and the
      situation with Arab immigrants and Arab-Americans who have been
      detained in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.

      "We were here for almost three years," Jerry Arai, 65, who was
      interned at the camp from 1942 to 1945 and who is now an architect in
      Seattle, told the group of internees at the ceremony
      today. "Surrounded by barbed wire, guards and watchtowers, living in

      "We cannot forget these hardships the Japanese endured," Mr. Arai
      said. "Let us not stand back in the midst of fear, hate and prejudice
      to see it happen to others."

      After the ceremony, several internees took one last look at the
      place, glancing across a changed landscape, posing for final
      photographs, commenting on how much greener everything looked. Then
      they boarded two long white buses and left Minidoka for home.

    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.