[PROFILE] Harry Lin - VP of Content for ABC.Com/Oscars.Com

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2003
      Harry Lin
      Vice President of Content, ABC.com
      http://disney.go.com/corporate/press/wdig/abc/
      http://disney.go.com/corporate/press/wdig/abc/bios/lin.html

      Harry Lin serves as the vice president for ABC.com. He is
      responsible for overseeing all editorial, production, design, and
      technology for ABC.com, Oscar.com, and ABCStagePass.com, a trade
      site supporting the Television Network's Sales Marketing division.

      Harry Lin is a leader in Internet operations and Web development and
      has a background in journalism. Prior to joining the Walt Disney
      Internet Group, Lin served as a senior producer for ChannelA.com,
      where he managed the site's content production. Lin began his career
      in broadcast journalism, working as a news anchor and reporter for
      KQED-FM in San Francisco, CA.

      Lin holds a Masters Degree in Journalism from the University of
      Wisconsin at Madison and a B.A. in Communications from Cornell
      University.

      ============

      Harry Lin
      Los Angeles, CA
      e-mail: harry.lin@...
      http://www.geocities.com/rolandtommassi/resume.html

      P r o f e s s i o n a l E x p e r i e n c e

      VICE PRESIDENT
      ABC.com and Oscar.com, The Walt Disney Company, Burbank, Calif. June
      2001-present.
      · Oversee all day-to-day operations for ABC.com, the official Web
      site of the ABC Television network, as well as the annual Oscar.com
      Web site.
      · Responsibilities: P/L; management and personnel oversight;
      strategic decision-making; liaison to corporate executives.

      VICE PRESIDENT
      The Walt Disney Internet Group, Seattle, Wash. January-May 2001.
      · General management: Mr. Showbiz, Wall of Sound, Movies.com
      · Responsibilities: management and personnel issues; strategic
      decision-making; liaison to corporate executives.

      SENIOR EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
      The Walt Disney Internet Group (formerly Infoseek.com), Seattle,
      Wash. April 1998-January 2001.
      · Oversee: Producer team, Design/Art staff, Business Development
      manager
      · Specific product responsibilities: Movies.com , MrShowbiz.com,
      WallofSound.com
      · Metrics: traffic growth, site excellence, branding efforts,
      revenue generation
      · Director-level position within Disney corporate hierarchy.

      SENIOR PRODUCER
      The CHANNEL A Web Site (an angel-backed start-up), Belmont,
      California. July 1996-April 1998.
      · ChannelA.com (now defunct): An online retailer + magazine focused
      on "Modern Asian Living".
      · Managed: Web site production, some content production, some
      business development, some ad sales
      · Additionally: Joined as Employee #7 when company was run out of
      founders' living room.

      NEWS ANCHOR and REPORTER
      KQED-FM (a National Public Radio affiliate station), San Francisco,
      California. June 1990-July 1996.
      · Anchor: live local morning newscasts, assigned daily stories to
      reporters
      · Reporter: Covered, wrote, and voiced news stories. Contributed to
      NPR, Marketplace and other national programs.
      · Won several local/regional journalism awards,
      including "Outstanding Young Journalist of the Year" from the
      Society of Professional Journalists.

      INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER
      THE ISTHMUS NEWSPAPER (a local weekly newspaper), Madison,
      Wisconsin. 1988-1990.
      · Enterprised, researched, reported and wrote feature and
      investigative articles.

      JOURNALISM INSTRUCTOR
      University of Wisconsin at Madison. 1988-1990.
      · Developed syllabus for and taught classes in Journalism
      School's "Introduction to Radio News".

      E d u c a t i o n

      UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN, Madison, Wisconsin. 1990.
      M.A. in Journalism.

      CORNELL UNIVERSITY, Ithaca, New York. 1988.
      B.S. in Communication. Minors in Women's Studies and Social
      Psychology.

      T e c h n i c a l S k i l l s

      COMPUTERS
      · HTML, HomeSite
      · Windows NT/9x, Mac OS
      · Project, Outlook, PPT, Excel, Word, Eudora
      BROADCAST
      · Live radio newscasting; on-location standups
      · Field recording; analog audio editing
      · Audio studio mixing
      · on-camera, TelePrompter

      P r o f e s s i o n a l R e f e r e n c e s

      MARY BITTERMAN
      Former President, KQED Television, Radio, and Publishing. San
      Francisco, Calif.
      Contact information upon request.

      LYNN FORBES
      Former VP of Business Development, eCal. San Francisco, Calif.
      Contact information upon request.

      KATHERINE LEE
      Former VP of Commerce, The WeddingChannel.com. Pasadena, Calif.
      Contact information upon request.

      OTHERS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST

      A f f i l i a t i o n s

      ASIAN AMERICAN JOURNALISTS ASSOCIATION (AAJA)
      Member and former co-chair, Student Scholarship Committee

      CORNELL UNIVERSITY ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
      Member

      NATIONAL ASIAN AMERICAN TELECOMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATION (NAATA)
      President of the Board of Directors

      ====================

      h a r r y l i n

      about me

      I was born in Oklahoma in 1966 to Taiwanese immigrant parents. I
      spent my childhood and adolescence in suburban Chicago, competing in
      school speech tournaments and listening to AOR radio stations. After
      high school, I attended Cornell University, graduating with a
      bachelor's in communication and concentrations in women's studies
      and social psychology. While at Cornell, I worked in the news
      department of WVBR-FM, a local radio station.

      I went on to earn a master's in journalism from the University of
      Wisconsin at Madison. While at Madison, I wrote for a local
      newspaper, The Isthmus, and taught one of the j-school's radio news
      labs. Each semester, I seemed to make at least one student cry from
      the pressure of the coursework - I hope you know it was all for your
      own good :-)

      Between 1990-1996, I worked as a reporter and anchor at KQED-FM,
      northern California's premier public broadcaster based in San
      Francisco, a city [rightfully] compared to Heaven in the play,
      Angels in America.

      For KQED and National Public Radio, I've covered hundreds of stories
      and events, including visits from presidents and world leaders,
      dozens of conventions and conferences, classroom stories, Silicon
      Valley industries, riots and demonstrations, elections and weird
      stuff that happens in Berkeley. My favorite reporting included
      enterprising sound-rich stories on education, multi-culturalism, new
      media, and pop culture. I've also done voiceover work. Oddly enough,
      Bay area residents can still hear my voice reading the underwriting
      credits on certain KQED programs. And if you've ever visited the
      Phoenix Museum of Art in Arizona and rented those audio-tour CD
      players, it was my voice guiding you through some of the exhibitions.

      A particular accomplishment of which I'm proud: The Northern
      California chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists
      awarded me its "Outstanding Young Journalist of the Year" honor in
      the mid-'90s. Specifically, the judges liked my half-hour radio
      documentary on the new-media revolution that I did for KQED. It's
      titled "Virtual World" and I conceived, reported, wrote, and
      narrated it.

      My interest in new media and the excitement of the Internet
      revolution happening in Silicon Valley drove me to look beyond radio
      news and move to a career on the Web.

      In July 1996, I joined Channel A, an Internet start-up in Silicon
      Valley devoted to bringing the "modern Asian lifestyle" to a Western
      consumer audience. We had a great idea and lost a lot of money and
      folded shop. In the spring of 1998, I left to join Infoseek as a
      content producer. I was part of the core team that helped bring the
      search engine into the "portal wars" <gack>. All of work life at
      Infoseek was like driving a sports car fast at night with only the
      illumination of your xenon headlights to guide you (that and the
      latest industry trend trumpeted by Upside, Red Herring, or Fast
      Company). Every day was exhilirating and exhausting. To a person,
      my colleagues were fascinating, driven people.

      Then in early '99, The Walt Disney Company acquired Infoseek and
      also Starwave, a Paul Allen-backed startup in Seattle. The next year
      and a half was merger hell, as Disney combined Infoseek and Starwave
      and re-branded infoseek.com to go.com. Lots of resignations, re-
      orgs, and retreats followed. Hilarity did not ensue.

      Fast-forward to early 2001, and I was promoted to Vice President of
      Entertainment at The Walt Disney Internet Group (WDIG).
      Specifically, I oversaw day-to-day operations at Mr. Showbiz,
      Movies.com, and Wall of Sound, which were sites owned and operated
      by WDIG out of the company's Seattle offices. Coincidentally (or
      karmically), I first started reading Mr. Showbiz in 1996.
      Unfortunately, business models didn't shake out, and in the summer
      of 2001, we had to shut down Wall of Sound and Mr. Showbiz.

      I've since moved on to the role of Vice President of Content at
      ABC.com and have moved to ABC's headquarters in Burbank, California.
      At the start of 2002, ABC.com was folded back into the ABC
      Television Network, and I moved along with it. (The Walt Disney
      Company has owned ABC since 1996.) So I left broadcast media for the
      Internet ... and ended up coming back into broadcast media.

      When I'm not working, I enjoy watching films (cinema and DVDs),
      browsing bookstores (brick-and-mortar ones), listening to CDs and
      MP3s, and talking with our friends (in person, over food
      preferably). On the more physical side, I enjoy hiking, weight-
      lifting and bicycling and wished I did more alpine skiing and yoga.
      Finally, I sit on the Board of Directors of the National Asian
      American Telecommunications Association, which funds and distributes
      independent films and television programs with an Asian-American
      theme.

      I live in Los Angeles with my wife, Cynthia Liu.

      ===========

      Biography
      http://www.cynthialiu.com/pages/882003/index.htm

      Cynthia W. Liu is a novelist-screenwriter of Chinese descent who
      originally trained to be a professor of American literature at UC
      Berkeley. She likens the experience to the difficulty and
      unpleasantness a kung fu apprentice undergoes -- minus the boiling
      pots of rice gruel and agility exercises on sharpened stakes. Her
      dissertation was on Asian American literature.

      She's also written five screenplays to date, and been a writer-
      researcher for a PBS series on Asians in the Americas. SPLENDID
      CHINA, USA the novel was shortlisted for the James Jones First Novel
      Contest and The Loft Prizes in Fiction. The screenplay adaptation of
      the novel was a finalist in the 2001 Sundance Screenwriting Lab
      competition.

      Other awards include the Coalition of Asian Pacifics in
      Entertainment New Screenwriter Award, the Elizabeth Mills Crothers
      First Prize for Fiction, grants from the Woodrow Wilson Foundation
      and Artist Trust, semi-finalist or finalist status in the
      Chesterfield Writer's Film Project and Great Britain's David T.K.
      Wong Fellowship; and residencies at the artists' colonies Hedgebrook
      and the Vermont Studio Center.

      In 2001 she was part of the Seattle Writers in the Schools Program,
      where she be taught creative writing to ninth graders. You can read
      her book reviews and essays in Tricycle: A Buddhist Review, the
      Pacific Reader, The International Examiner, Amerasia Journal, Korean
      Culture, Hedgebrook Journal, and others. Her most recent essay
      explored the ongoing importance to American audiences of Anna May
      Wong, a pioneering Asian American film actress. It's published in
      Countervisions: Asian American Film Criticism, Temple University
      Press, 2000.

      On October 19, 2002, Cynthia will be speaking on a panel at NYU
      about Flower Drum Song.

      Cynthia also owns and runs Verbivore Writing Services.

      ===========

      Disney to 'push' ABC over the Net
      (Harry Lin Project)
      By Stefanie Olsen
      Staff Writer, CNET News.com
      June 12, 2003, 1:18 PM PT
      http://news.com.com/2100-1031_3-1016486.html

      Walt Disney's ABC.com is set to begin testing a new Internet
      application that downloads television clips to people's desktops
      daily, a move that takes a page from sister site ESPN.com.
      The TV network Web site, a veritable commercial for ABC shows such
      as "NYPD Blue," will let 10,000 people download the TV viewer
      application starting Tuesday, said Harry Lin, vice president of
      content for ABC.com.

      The technology, which mirrors that built by ABC.com's parent unit
      Walt Disney Internet Group for ESPN, will funnel preview clips and
      behind-the-scenes footage of programs several times daily to the
      computers of testers. If all goes well, ABC.com hopes to widely
      launch the application, for free, to the public in July, Lin said.

      "We want people to watch and watch and watch," he said. "It's the
      old TV model: We attract so many people and then sell advertising
      against that audience."

      So far, it's working wonders for ESPN. In February, the sports
      channel made the debute of "ESPN Motion," a free downloadable Web
      viewer for daily sports highlights and video commentary that comes
      with embedded commercials. Already 1.6 million people have installed
      it, and about half of that audience watches daily, according to ESPN
      spokeswoman Ashley Swadell.

      The ESPN viewer is doing so well that the channel has started
      selling it regularly to its TV advertisers, in what's known as "TV
      upfronts." Brand names such as Gatorade and Lexus have signed on.
      ESPN charges up to $25 per thousand people who see its Web
      commercials.

      ABC.com's move is indicative of a wider trend among Internet
      entertainment and news publishers. Sites, including the official
      home page of "Entertainment Tonight" and Businessweek.com, have
      introduced desktop software to "push" their content at visitors in
      new ways and drive loyalty for their sites and programming. In
      another example, Forbes.com on Thursday launched a downloadable Web
      viewer called "Executive Connection" that comes complete with
      personalized news and that is free to members.

      The ABC.com application and ESPN Motion were both developed by Walt
      Disney Internet Group. Disney-owned Movies.com also started testing
      a similar application for its audiences several weeks back. Lin said
      that Disney plans to eventually propagate the Web viewer among all
      of its Net properties.

      Similar in use to other technologies, the application makes it
      economical for a company to stream video and data to a subscriber's
      desktop during off-peak hours. Video and other data is streamed in
      bits, downloaded, then played automotically whenever the application
      is opened. The data is replaced when the content is refreshed.

      ABC.com plans to download previews of shows or archives of "best of"
      material, such as "Alias" star Jennifer Garner in a red slip, Lin
      said. It will upload content several times a day, he said.

      Lin said that the viewer service is an ideal application for the ABC
      site because people want to know beforehand what's going to happen
      on their favorite shows. The site attracts about 5 million people a
      month.

      "We're a TV Web site; people want to see TV," he said. "There's just
      an affinity for that among our visitors."

      ===================

      Akamai Selected as Exclusive Streaming Provider for the 75th Annual
      Academy Awards®
      (Harry Lin Project)
      http://www.akamai.com/en/html/about/press/press388.html

      Contacts:

      Jeff Young
      Media Relations
      Akamai Technologies, Inc.
      617-444-3913
      jyoung@... --or-- Alexis F. Rapo
      Media Relations
      Oscar.com/ABC.com
      818-460-5048
      alexis.rapo@...

      Oscar.com will rely on Akamai to provide millions of visitors with
      live streaming from the most anticipated film awards ceremony

      CAMBRIDGE, MA, March 10, 2003 - Akamai Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ:
      AKAM), a provider of products and services that enable the world's
      leading enterprises and government agencies to extend and control
      their e-business infrastructure, today announced that it has been
      selected as the exclusive streaming provider for Oscar.com, the
      official Web site of the 75th Annual Academy Awards. Akamai's
      globally distributed computing platform will be used to deliver live
      and on-demand streaming video on Oscar.com.

      Taking place on Sunday, March 23rd at 5:30 PST/8:30 EST, Oscar
      Night® will be broadcast live on ABC. To complement the Academy
      Awards broadcast, www.Oscar.com, which is managed by ABC.com, will
      feature live streaming footage of red carpet arrivals and interviews
      with Oscar winners from the press room. Interviews will also be
      available on-demand after the broadcast. Leading up to the event,
      streamed trailers from the nominated films and performances will be
      available. Oscar.com will rely on Akamai's services for the delivery
      of all streaming media on the Oscar.com site.

      "Akamai is synonymous with supporting today's most successful
      Internet events," said Harry Lin, vice president of ABC.com, also an
      Akamai customer. "The popularity of the Oscars is experienced on a
      global scale. Akamai offers us a unique extensibility to our site
      infrastructure. By scaling to meet demand for content, we are able
      to ensure a high-quality streaming presentation."

      Utilizing Akamai's global network of over 13,000 servers, Oscar.com
      will have the scalability on demand to support any number of
      concurrent streams to a worldwide audience. Akamai has partnered
      with BT Broadcast Services, the Americas Inc., for encoding and
      signal acquisition services for the live, global webcast.

      Akamai's integrated reporting tools will provide Oscar.com managers
      with real-time control over their site infrastructure to effectively
      measure the success of their programming and better understand
      visitors and their interests. This business insight allows companies
      to refine their value proposition and enhance their customers'
      online experience.

      The 75th Annual Academy Awards will be presented at the Kodak
      Theatre at Hollywood & Highland® and televised live by ABC beginning
      at 5:30 PST. Live streaming of the red carpet arrivals will begin at
      3:30 PST. For more about the 75th Annual Academy Awards, log onto
      www.oscar.com.

      Oscar.com is a co-production of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts
      and Sciences and ABC.com.

      About Akamai
      Akamai® provides products and services that enable the world's
      leading enterprises and government agencies to extend and control
      their e-business infrastructure. Having deployed the world's
      largest, globally-distributed computing platform, Akamai ensures the
      highest levels of availability, reliability, security, and
      performance of networked information and application delivery
      between the origin and the destination of any e-business process.
      Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, with research and
      development centers around the world, Akamai's industry-leading
      products and services, matched with world-class customer care, are
      used by hundreds of successful enterprises, government entities, and
      Web businesses around the globe. For more information, visit
      www.akamai.com.

      # # #

      Akamai Statement Under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act
      The release contains information about future expectations, plans
      and prospects of Akamai's management that constitute forward-looking
      statements for purposes of the safe harbor provisions under The
      Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may
      differ materially from those indicated by these forward-looking
      statements as a result of various important factors including, but
      not limited to, the dependence on Akamai's Internet content delivery
      service and technology products, the effects of any attempts to
      intentionally disrupt our services or network by hackers or others,
      failure of our telecommunications suppliers to provide sufficient
      transmission capacity, a failure of Akamai's network infrastructure,
      and other factors that are discussed in the Company's Annual Report
      on Form 10-K, quarterly reports on Form 10-Q, and other documents
      periodically filed with the SEC.