[SPORTS] Michael Chang bids adieu to tennis career

  • chiayuan25
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2003
      Friday, May 23
      Chang bids adieu to tennis career
      By Greg Garber
      ESPN.com

      PARIS -- It's not even 10:30 on Friday morning and Michael Chang has
      already sweated entirely through his white shirt.

      Michael Chang is losing in the first round of most tournaments
      lately.

      He works the baseline here in practice on Court 1 at Roland Garros,
      hitting opposite Yevgeny Kafelnikov, emitting soft grunts -- oooh,
      uhhh ... oooh, uhhh ... -- as he slides from side to side.
      Kafelnikov rips a forehand that may or may not have clipped the line
      and Chang wanders over to inspect the mark. He squints, then sighs
      and walks back to the baseline. Indeed, it hit the line.

      This, it seems, is Michael Chang's life these days. Even Tripp
      Phillips -- a young American who beat him in a Challenger a few
      weeks ago -- got more than his share of the breaks. Against,
      Kafelnikov, Chang comes up consistently short: He mis-hits a cross-
      court forehand that nearly sails into the empty seats, he can't
      reach a backhand down the line, he applauds a bomb of a first serve
      down the middle. Too good.

      For Chang, 31, it is too bad. Fourteen years ago here at Roland
      Garros, he was incandescent. He created his own breaks. He ran down
      every ball. He won the French Open at the age of 17, announcing the
      next generation of American male tennis players. It was so easy for
      him then. Now? He is a museum piece, playing out his final matches
      in the last season of his career, soaking up the rousing applause he
      deserves. His week is front-loaded with all kinds of appearances
      designed to honor him.

      His peers appreciate his contributions to tennis, his unerring
      consistency and quality of effort. After 55 minutes of hitting,
      Kafelnikov wins the final point and races straight at Chang. He
      lunges over the net and clears it -- barely -- then shakes Chang's
      hand.

      Andre Agassi, sitting in the first row of seats, waiting for his
      practice time, laughs at Kafelnikov's style -- or lack of it.

      "That was a near miss," Agassi yells to the players as they come off
      the court.

      Later, when Chang is stretching his aging legs, Agassi sets down his
      racket bag and asks, "How are you?"

      Chang nods. "Congratulations on number two coming," Chang says,
      referring to the news that Agassi's wife, Steffi Graf, is expecting
      a second child.

      Agassi thanks him and says he's a little disappointed that Graf will
      not be playing mixed doubles with him at the French Open.

      "It's amazing the lengths she'll go to avoid playing," Agassi says.

      And both athletes, members of the sweet, select group that has won a
      Grand Slam singles title, break into laughter. Smiling, they catch
      each other's eye. They nod. Here on the red clay, under a warm sun,
      it is a moment sublime.

      It is a snapshot we will never see again.

      In the beginning
      Chang and Pete Sampras were both 8 years old when they first met in
      a junior tennis tournament. Chang was 9 when he first played 11-year-
      old Agassi and a little older when he got his first competitive look
      at Jim Courier.

      For a while there, Pete Sampras, back, never beat Michael Chang.

      When Chang -- a searingly swift, 5-foot-9, 160-pound baselining
      backboard -- won the French Open in 1989, he was the first of
      America's best and brightest tennis generation to break through. At
      17 years, 3 months, he was the youngest men's Grand Slam singles
      champion ever, before or since.

      "I think when Michael won the French Open it was a wake-up call,"
      Courier said recently. "It was like, 'Hey, if he can do it, I can do
      it.' "

      Patrick McEnroe, the U.S. Davis Cup captain, believes Chang had a
      profound effect on all three future champions.

      "In a lot of ways he pushed Courier, Sampras and Agassi to reach
      their potential," McEnroe said. "They're like, 'This little guy with
      no serve -- how does he win the French Open?'

      "Michael squeezed every ounce out of his talent. In a way it proved
      to them how far you could go. They got better."

      Fifteen months after Chang dispatched Stefan Edberg in a five-set
      thriller at Roland Garros, Sampras, barely 19, became the youngest
      champion ever at the U.S. Open. Courier was 20 when he won the 1991
      French Open and Agassi was 22 when he took Wimbledon in 1992. And
      while Chang's peers went on to repeat their championship feats many
      times, the 1989 French Open was his one and only Grand Slam title.

      " I beat Pete probably 90 percent of the time in the first few
      years we were on tour. I won the first five or six times. It wasn't
      until he won the U.S. Open in 1990 that he really started to beat
      me. "
      — Michael Chang

      Together, however, Chang (1), Sampras (14), Agassi (8) and Courier
      (4) have combined to win 27 Grand Slam singles titles -- second only
      to the 31 Slams collected by the Australian triumvirate of Roy
      Emerson (12), Rod Laver (11) and Ken Rosewall (8) between 1953 and
      1972.

      "We've been able to inspire each other, and help each other play
      better tennis," Chang said earlier this year. "When we play each
      other, there's an added adrenaline, and added focus, an added
      atmosphere from the people. We bring out the best in each other, in
      many ways.

      "It's been great to have those rivalries throughout the juniors, the
      pros. To be able to go to each other now and look in each others
      eyes and say, 'It's been a lot of fun,' is really special."

      And now, as the 2003 French Open is set to begin, Sampras is home in
      Los Angeles, "95 percent" sure he is retired. Courier left the game
      after 1999. Agassi, at 33, briefly took over as the game's top-
      ranked player recently. Chang, currently ranked No. 144 among ATP
      players, accepted a wild-card entry into the tournament. It will be
      his 16th and final French Open, for at 31 he has said he will retire
      after the U.S. Open.

      "In all honesty, I feel like the grind of the tour has taken its
      toll," Chang said. "It's frustrating to be out there and not be able
      to play at the same level that I would like. I want to go out and
      play the tournaments that have meant a lot to me, the ones I want to
      play.

      "I definitely want to go out and give it one last push, hopefully
      finish on a high note, finish on a climax and be able to walk away
      from the tour regret-free and feel like it was an incredible
      experience in my life and something I'll never forget."

      It is fitting that Chang and Agassi already have met twice this
      year. Agassi defeated Chang 6-4, 6-2 in San Jose in February in a
      first-round match. Five weeks later, it was the same result in the
      second round at the Tennis Masters Series-Miami.

      "Not just in tennis, but in all of sports, he's as great a
      competitor as you'll ever see," Agassi said. "He has never once not
      shown up with everything he's had."

      All good things ...
      In recent years, that hasn't been enough to keep Chang at the top of
      his game. Between 1989, when he was ranked No. 5, to 1997, when he
      finished No. 3, Chang was dominant. He won 30 of his 34 tournament
      titles in that time and was ranked in the year-end top 10 seven of
      nine times.

      Michael Chang's victory at the French Open in 1989 inspired a chain
      of American victories from Jim Courier, Andre Agassi and Pete
      Sampras.

      Chang's modus operandi was one of relentless retrieval. He was
      faster and mentally tougher than virtually anyone on tour.
      Eventually, that back-and-forth style -- and all the extra miles he
      put on those exceptional legs -- began to manifest itself in his
      game. As his speed diminished so, too, did his confidence.

      He slid to No. 94 in 2001, losing more matches than he won (16-21)
      for the first time in his career. Last year brought a 7-18 record
      and, for the first time, back-to-back seasons without a tournament
      title. The man who has won more than $19 million in prize money has
      a 1-5 record this year and only $26,860 in winnings.

      A week ago, the top-seeded Chang found himself playing Phillips in
      Forest Hills, N.Y. -- and losing in three sets.

      "It was a slow realization," Chang said in January. "I'm not one to
      make a judgment on the spur of the moment. I take time to digest and
      assess things. I would never make a decision like this without
      giving it much thought.

      "I think having had some tough times over the last few years, I take
      them more in stride and try to concentrate more on the positive than
      the negative." Larger than life

      Let the record show that, for a few years anyway, Michael Chang was
      taller than Pete Sampras.

      "I was," Chang said, laughing, "and I'm proud of that."

      And, at least, for a while, Chang's game was bigger, too.

      "I beat Pete probably 90 percent of the time in the first few years
      we were on tour," Chang said. "I won the first five or six times. It
      wasn't until he won the U.S. Open in 1990 that he really started to
      beat me."

      " The roughest times between the four of us were when all four of
      us were at the top, when we were excelling at our games. When you
      looked at the draw, you'd be trying to figure out where Andre, Pete
      and Jim are, where you're going to play in the quarterfinals,
      semifinals or final. "
      — Michael Chang

      He always was precocious on the tennis court. When Chang defeated
      Paul McNamee in the first round of the 1987 U.S. Open, he became the
      youngest man (15 years, 6 months) to win a main draw match. A month
      later, he reached the semifinals in Scottsdale, another first. In
      1988, he won his first major professional title, in San Francisco,
      over Johan Kriek.

      His victory at Roland Garros was a bolt of lightning. Ivan Lendl,
      the world's No. 1 player, was Chang's victim in the round of 16.
      Lendl won the first two sets, but when cramps set in Chang crept
      back into the match. With Lendl at times serving underhand, Chang
      won the last three sets by identical 6-3 scores, and in four hours
      and 37 minutes. His victory over Edberg in the final was the first
      by an American since Tony Trabert 34 years earlier.

      "When Michael won the French Open in 1989, I was a college student
      worried about my sophomore finals, just trying to stay eligible [at
      Northwestern]," said Todd Martin, who is one year older than
      Chang. "You couldn't help but be dumb-founded by that size-
      challenged guy. To win the toughest of the Slams, to win at that
      age, it was amazing."

      Ask Chang about his favorite memories in the game and he begins with
      Roland Garros.

      "It was pretty fun to have the ride at the '89 French," he said. "To
      finally win in Memphis [1997] was great, to be able to get a hug
      from a little girl, a cancer survivor, was wonderful. To win Indian
      Wells and Key Biscayne back to back [in 1992] was great. To be able
      to win in Beijing three times in a row [1993-95] was great, to have
      all those people behind me."

      Chang, an Asian-American, was enormously popular on the Asian
      circuit, where he won 19 tournaments in places like Tokyo, Hong
      Kong, Shanghai and Jakarta. He always has been the model of decorum
      and sincerity -- words that don't always describe the professional
      athlete.

      According to Chang, the competition among the Americans sometimes
      congealed into friction.

      "The roughest times between the four of us were when all four of us
      were at the top, when we were excelling at our games," Chang
      said. "When you looked at the draw, you'd be trying to figure out
      where Andre, Pete and Jim are, where you're going to play in the
      quarterfinals, semifinals or final."

      These days, Michael Chang revels in the small victories.

      One time, Courier and Chang were hitting on a practice court and
      Courier asked if he wanted to play a set.

      "Let's just hit and play some points," Chang answered.

      "To be honest," Chang explained, "I already knew he was in my
      section [of the draw], and I knew before we even played our first-
      round matches, that for sure we were going to play in the
      quarterfinals. I didn't want to give him any hints, of how well I
      was playing that week, what my weaknesses were then.

      "So the times when we were on the top was when we were furthest
      apart. Now, at the end of our careers, we've come to appreciate each
      other more and come to greet each other with a little more warmth, a
      little more encouragement, a little more love. It's definitely a
      cycle."

      The cycle, despite Agassi's status as a French Open favorite, is
      nearly over.

      Mutual motivation
      It is instructive that Chang says if Agassi and Sampras had "already
      stopped playing by now, I would have already retired."

      Sampras won a record 14 Grand Slam singles titles, Agassi has a
      chance to add to his total of eight and Courier managed four Slams
      in a narrow window of eight events over three seasons. All three
      athletes rose to the No. 1 ranking in the world. The best Chang did
      was No. 2, after he was runner-up to Sampras in the 1996 U.S. Open.

      The world always has seen Chang as a classic overachiever. In his
      mind, at least, was he an underachiever?

      "I don't think so," Chang said evenly. "It's difficult to say. I
      mean, if I go out and try to compare myself to those three it would
      be easy to say I didn't achieve as much as I could have. But as long
      as I know in my heart that I gave it my all, I'm content with that.

      "Unfortunately, I wasn't able to win another one outside of that
      French. I try not to compare myself in that aspect, but I definitely
      feel like those three players are definitely exceptional people and
      exceptional tennis players.

      "It's great to be able to see them accomplish so much, knowing that
      you grew up with them."

      Greg Garber is a senior writer for ESPN.com

      http://msn.espn.go.com/tennis/french03/s/2003/0520/1556899.html#