[SPORTS] Shaq and China Need More of Each Other

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2009
      Shaq-Fu: Shaq and China need more of each other
      http://www.nbainchina.com/shaq-fu-shaq-and-china-need-more-of-each-other/

      While Yao and the Shanghai Sharks have been in the news recently, it is another shark that has grabbed the headlines. Big Shark, as Shaq is nicknamed in China, has recently completed a tour of Shaolin Temple in Henan - the birth place of Kung-Fu.

      Shaq's interests in kung-fu are well documented – he made a movie called Shaq Fu and it even spawned one of the worst video games of all time. Shaq is also known to practice martial arts in the offseason, and told Titan Sports that he would like to learn more about Kung Fu in particular.

      "I am really interested in snake-style kung fu," O'Neal was quoted as saying.

      "When I retire, I hope to come back to the Shaolin Temple to study for a year. To come here just this one time is not enough."

      Obviously we don't know how serious Shaq is about these comments, especially when he suggested that he would like to incorporate some of the moves he saw in his recent visit, into his basketball game.

      Shaq holds other ties to China. He is currently sponsor for Li-Ning, China's largest and most succesful sports apparel brand, and even has a giant statue of himself overlooking a parking lot! He is one of the most recognized and loved foreigners in China, and this all means that we could perhaps see Shaq in China after he retires.

      Shaq feeds off of attention and also revels in it. His twitter account is one of the most followed ones in the world, and probably also the most entertaining one. His boundless wisdom and wit combined with his unique personality and physique make him one of the most entertaining individuals on the planet. Shaq knows this and this is why he spent 2 days this offseason going to broadcasting school at Syracuse University- to get himself ready for life after basketball.

      "After basketball, I'd love to have my own radio show, my own TV show," Shaq told the Post-Standard.

      If I were the folks over at NBA China or Li-Ning, I would do everything in my power to have Shaq's post-basketball career be closely related to China. Shaq is a one man marketing-army. The possibilities of Shaq in China are endless, but I already like the idea of Yao Ming and Shaq leading their own teams in the CBA (future to be NBA China), and evolving their iconic rivalry on this new stage.

      So I hope this isn't the end of Shaq-Fu in China, his powers could be of great use.