[SPORTS] NBA China's Tim Chen & Other NBA in China News

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2009
      NBA Names Tim Chen CEO of NBA China
      CEO of Microsoft Greater China to Lead New NBA China Entity
      http://www.nba.com/news/chen_named_ceo.html
      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Tim-Chen/655342737

      NEW YORK AND BEIJING, SEPT. 19 – The NBA has named Tim Chen, CEO of Microsoft Greater China, as CEO of NBA China, effective October 15, it was announced today by NBA Commissioner David Stern. NBA China is a new enterprise being created to encapsulate all of the league's businesses in Greater China.

      NBA China will be governed by a Board of Directors that will include NBA owners, representatives of outside investors as well as Stern, NBA Deputy Commissioner and COO Adam Silver and NBA President of Global Marketing Partnerships and International Business Operations Heidi Ueberroth.

      Ueberroth, who led the recruiting process said, "After an extensive search that produced many qualified candidates, Tim Chen was the clear choice based on his tremendous experience and accomplishments. Tim will assume leadership of a very talented team of NBA employees based in China including Mark Fischer, who will be promoted to Senior Vice President."

      "Tim Chen is a proven business leader who has guided the dramatic growth of two Fortune 100 businesses in China," said Stern. "Tim is the ideal person to lead NBA China as we expand our infrastructure and operations to meet the growing interest from fans and consumers throughout the region."

      "The NBA is a truly exceptional brand with a huge fan base that reaches across all parts of China," said Chen. "I'm thrilled by the scope of this opportunity and the ability to work with such a talented team, as we build on the enormous business potential that spans media, merchandising, marketing, events and new initiatives."

      Chen comes to the NBA from Microsoft, where he led the software giant's growth in China since 2003. Chen worked closely with the government to incorporate Microsoft software into the growing network of PCs in administration and education. Under his leadership, Microsoft sales and revenue grew more rapidly in the Greater China region than in any other market in the world, while at the same time significantly increased its investment in R&D and domestic software ventures.

      Chen was Chairman and President of Motorola in China from 2001 to 2003 and increased the company's market share to become the leader in the competitive Chinese mobile phone industry and mobile system business. Prior to 2001, Chen spent eight years with Motorola, including serving as its general manager responsible for marketing and sales operations for the Greater China Cellular Infrastructure Division. Prior to joining Motorola, Chen spent nine years at AT&T Labs based in the United States.

      Chen received an MBA from the University of Chicago and two master's degrees in computer science and mathematics. Chen, who earned his undergraduate degree at Chiao Tung University in Taiwan, currently resides in Beijing with his wife and two children.

      With 300 million people playing basketball, 83% of people ages 15-24 saying they're NBA fans and 20% of traffic to NBA.com coming from China, basketball is rapidly growing in popularity. The NBA has relationships with 51 TV stations that provide NBA programming to more than 1.2 billion viewers. The league maintains marketing partnerships in China with 20 of the world's leading brands and makes products available to fans in more than 50,000 locations. The NBA is conducting more than 170 special events in 112 cities in Greater China including the NBA China Games 2007, three pre-season games in Shanghai and Macao in October.

      ============

      Catching Up With The NBA's Tim Chen, Heidi Ueberroth
      Tripp Mickle
      http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/beijinggames/entries/2008/catching-up-with-nba-s-tim-chen-heidi-ueberroth

      The NBA has thrived in the land of 1.3 billion for years. Now, it's looking to cash in by creating its own NBA China division, which is valued at more than $2.5 billion. The company, which has opened two NBA stores, is being managed by CEO Tim Chen and supported from the U.S. by Heidi Ueberroth, the league's president of global marketing partnerships and international business operations. Both sat down in Beijing with SportsBusiness Journal staff writer Tripp Mickle to talk about the company and its plan.

      What impact will the Olympics have on the NBA in China?

      Chen: The Olympics is excellent in China, of course. We're thrilled to be part of the program. We're sending 35 people from the U.S. NBA to monitor and see what we're doing here. It's truly great for Chinese people to see the highest level of basketball played, and the most exciting thing is the new basketball arena.

      Ueberroth: It's exceeded our expectations. We knew the Olympics would be a great thing for basketball. That's why we partnered with BOCOG on the game presentation. The enthusiasm of the fans is phenomenal, the stands are full and the TV audience has been tremendous.

      Tell me about partnering with BOCOG on the game presentation.

      Ueberroth: We approached them about that and that's how we were introduced to the owners of the arena. It's through those discussions that we became the manager of the facility after the Olympics.

      What is the NBA's long-term vision in China?

      Chen: We see basketball as not only a sport here but really a lifestyle. Something like 300 million people participate in basketball. With Yao Ming and Yi Jianlian playing in the NBA, we see that as a bridge to making basketball as being a part of everyday life in China. We think the key is to work with the Chinese government to develop basketball in China. There's also business opportunities other than TV. We have online, sponsorship, merchandise. We also started our own stores. We have two stores and hope to have more.

      How many more?

      Chen: We hope to open 1,000 — in that range. That's our touch point to fans.

      Ueberroth: Everything Tim's mentioning is about growth. That's really what led us to the creation of NBA China. We know to keep pace with the growth here and the changing market we had to build out infrastructure. Opening new offices — at least two more in Guango and Central or Western China — is a way to manage that growth.

      You talked about working with the government, which is said to be critical in China. How do you do that when the CBA already exists here and you're talking about creating another league?

      Chen: We and China Basketball Association have a long-term history. Even last summer Team China was in Las Vegas working in the summer league. The best way to summarize our relationship is the way that David Stern did at a press conference. He was asked the question, "Would you like to have a league in China?" Mr. Stern answered very well: "We would like to have a league, but only with the China Basketball Association."

      How do you work with the China Basketball Association?

      Chen: Many ways. Grassroots development or how you develop CBA teams are ways. We see working to grow the game of basketball at the grassroots as really important.

      Ueberroth: Some of it's to be determined, but in partnership we can dramatically accelerate the level of basketball talent in China.

      This sounds like a long-term strategy. How patient will investors be as you develop a league?

      Ueberroth: When we went with the structure we have, we went with companies with resources in China, expertise and familiarity with the NBA. They know that this is a process. Right now, we're looking at — with AEG and the developers of the stadium — the type of plans around the arena. Basketball courts, retail, hotel and so on. Really, anchors to build out the Wukesong area (where the Olympic basketball stadium is).

      What are the challenges you see in this marketplace?

      Chen: One is scale. A province like Guangxi has a basketball competition and they have 20,000 people participating. We're in the right place at the right time with the Olympics. It's really about how we scale up.

      Ueberroth: It's really hiring people, building out the infrastructure and then expanding out and up. We wanted to bring our operation here to make it more local. You can start in Beijing, Guangzhou, Shanghai, but you have to build out from tier-one cities to tier-two cities. The sheer scale of China is a challenge in that way.

      Chen: The other key is how we secure partners. Sports marketing is relatively new. It's not like you have a partner for 20 years. It's someone who's brand new.

      People say that sports marketing is new in China. There have never been suites here. There are no naming rights. How do you deal with that?

      Ueberroth: Some of this is new, but it's not limited to Beijing. Shanghai is hosting the World Expo and looking at arena development. Guangzhou is looking at arena development because the 2010 Asian Games are coming. They see opportunities to build arenas and build communities around them.

      China seems to adapt pretty quickly. Are you betting that China will pick up on these things quickly, almost as though they're using an escalator rather than the stairs?

      Chen: This is pretty natural. You look at the rise of the middle class. People are looking for where they can have entertainment. It's almost a necessity. It's a new lifestyle.

      Ueberroth: I'm from California and I used to always be impressed with the pace of New York, but the pace of growth in China is just unbelievable.

      ======

      Questions for: Heidi Ueberroth
      The NBA's Top International Dealmaker Looks East for Growth as Domestic Economy Worsens
      JOSEPH DE AVILA
      http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124119380517777611.html

      This season hasn't been kind to the National Basketball Association. The recession has hit the league hard. Team owners have tightened up their budgets and dumped salaries to shore up cash. Injuries have kept marquee players such as Kevin Garnett and Manu Ginobili on the bench.

      The league has chosen Heidi Ueberroth to tackle the challenge. As president of global marketing partnerships and international business operations, she helped form NBA China, which handles the league's business in the country. Ms. Ueberroth, 43, also worked on putting together a partnership with Anschutz Entertainment Group, a sports marketing company in Los Angeles, to build 12 new arenas in China. Prior to joining the NBA in 1994, Ms. Ueberroth worked in sales and programming for ESPN.

      In a recent interview, Ms. Ueberroth discussed the NBA's international plans. Excerpts:

      The Wall Street Journal: Where will the new arenas in China be built?

      Ms. Ueberroth: Right now we are focused on arenas in the first three cities. Even before our partnership with AEG, we were involved with the arena in Beijing. Second up is Shanghai, and we just broke ground in Guangzhou.

      WSJ: When will those arenas open?

      Ms. Ueberroth: In Beijing, they are doing some post-Olympic renovation [on the building], and that's going to be re-opening in October. The Shanghai arena will be open for the World Expo in May 2010. And Guangzhou is looking to be opened in 2010.

      WSJ: Do we have a timeline for the remaining arenas?

      Ms. Ueberroth: Right now we are very focused on these arenas, but having just come back from China, what I can say is that the construction and progress on the buildings are moving very quickly and the demand and interest from other cities is also very high. I can't yet report on the other cities.

      WSJ: How has the recession here at home impacted the league's plans in China?

      Ms. Ueberroth: First, I would say that in China, again, interest remains high. If you look at this project and at the growth in all our businesses, we are seeing a different feeling outside the United States in China. In terms of our growth, we are on course with the programs that we've had in place in China. Obviously, we are also being mindful of any places where we can tighten our belts.

      WSJ: If you had a chance to rework those arena deals, would you still proceed knowing that a tougher economic environment was coming?

      Ms. Ueberroth: Absolutely, we are moving full steam ahead. What you see in China is a continued growth in the popularity and interest in leisure and sports. The demand is continuing to increase for other cities looking to have multi-purpose NBA-style arenas as an anchor to their communities.

      WSJ: Where is India at in its development? Is it comparable to China in the early years?

      Ms. Ueberroth: I'd say it's in the early stages and would not compare it to China. You can contrast the differences more than compare them, with the exception of perhaps two things. One, a growing economy and interest in leisure activities, including sports activities, and [two,] an increasing growth in the popularity of the game. Right now in India, basketball is one of the fastest growing sports. Aside from that, the other area is maybe in the interest in the sports ministries and even the government for the social values of basketball.

      WSJ: What are some of the key differences in strategy that the NBA has taken with China and India?

      Ms. Ueberroth: We've had a presence in China for a very long time and are now in our third decade. We are taking a similarly long-term look at India, where we have a long-term media partner called ESPN Star Sports. We are also starting to do more customized programming and more lifestyle-based programming as a natural next step, which makes sense for a country like India, where pop culture and Bollywood are very popular and there is a natural crossover between our iconic players and entertainment. We had a number of Bollywood stars over at the All-Star Weekend in Phoenix, and we created some behind-the-scenes All-Star Weekend programming that aired on [Star Sports]. We are deep into discussions now for a localized Web site so one would be able to have both English- and Hindi-language content customized for India.

      WSJ: What's the NBA's plan for Europe?

      Ms. Ueberroth: This year we have opened several new offices in Europe. We have our headquarters, which is in London. We've established a presence just this past year within Spain, where we are in Madrid, as well as Istanbul, Turkey, and Italy, and we're already in Paris. We are seeing continued interest, and if you look at, for example, a market like Spain, we've seen it in every measure of our business -- not just within our own sites, but also with syndicated content, more mall-tour-like grassroots events, and increased marketing partnerships.

      WSJ: In light of Manu Ginobili 's recent injury, do you think selling international competition becomes more difficult when a big star like him goes down and isn't available for the playoffs?

      Ms. Ueberroth: It's hard to take one example like that, but if you look at the momentum and global nature coming out of the Olympic Games, we now have 20% of the players in the NBA coming from overseas. We think that international competition is a positive.

      WSJ: Are you the busiest Ueberroth now that your dad, former Major League Baseball commissioner, Peter Ueberroth, isn't on the Olympic Committee anymore?

      Ms. Ueberroth: I would never try compete with him for busy. He is one of the busiest individuals and hardest workers. Time zones are always challenging for me and for others in the NBA because it is truly a 24-7 job, especially as our global reach expands.

      WSJ: Where have you traveled in the past few months?

      Ms. Ueberroth: Since the beginning of this year, I've been to our Europe headquarters in London, the Middle East, Abu Dhabi, Jordan, Doha, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing. I'm due back in India, but I haven't been yet.

      =======

      Timothy Y. Chen (Age 52)
      http://investing.businessweek.com/businessweek/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=29121427&ric=MSFT.O

      Timothy Y. Chen, Tim has been Chief Executive Officer of NBA China since October 15, 2007. Mr. Chen has been Corporate Vice President of Microsoft Corporation since joining September 2003. Mr. Chen is responsible for overseeing overall Microsoft business operations and strategy in China, including a unified strategy that includes all Microsoft® business units operating in China as well as governance across all Microsoft businesses operating in Greater China.

      He serves ... as Head of China Operations of National Basketball Association. Mr. Chen served as Chief Executive Officer of Greater China Region at Microsoft Corporation.

      He served as Chief Executive Officer of 21CN CyberNet Corporation, Ltd., from June 2000 to September 2001, with overall responsibility for its business in Hong Kong and Mainland China. He served as President of Motorola (China) Electronics, Ltd., from September 2001 to September 2003.

      From 1992 until he joined Cybernet, he held various positions with Motorola, serving as the General Manager and being responsible for marketing and sales operations for Motorola's Greater China Cellular Infrastructure Division. Mr. Chen served as a Motorola Corporate Vice President since 1999. He was with the Bell Labs arm of Lucent Technologies (Formerly AT&T, Inc.) in the United States, he served in a number of technical and marketing management capacities.

      He served as Chairman of Motorola (China) Electronics, Ltd. from September 2001 to September 2003. He served as Director of LSI Corporation (formerly LSI Logic Corp.) from September 1, 2006 to November 12, 2008. Mr. Chen earned an MBA from the University of Chicago and holds

      ====

      Timothy Chen
      (Former) Corporate Vice President and CEO, Greater China Region
      http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/chen/default.mspx

      Editor's Note, Sept. 18, 2007 –Timothy Chen announced his resignation from Microsoft on Sept. 18.

      Timothy Chen joined Microsoft Corp. in September 2003 as corporate vice president and CEO of the Greater China Region, responsible for overseeing Microsoft's overall business operations and company strategy in China, including a unified strategy that includes all Microsoft® business units operating in China as well as governance across all Microsoft businesses operating in Greater China.

      Before joining Microsoft, Chen was chairman and president of Motorola Inc.'s China subsidiary. He was appointed corporate vice president of Motorola, chairman and president of Motorola (China) Electronics Ltd., in September 2001. From June 2000 until September 2001, Chen was CEO of 21CN Cybernet Corp. Ltd., looking after its business in Hong Kong and Mainland China. From 1992 until he joined Cybernet, Chen held various positions with Motorola, serving as the general manager and being responsible for marketing and sales operations for Motorola's Greater China Cellular Infrastructure Division. Before Motorola, Chen worked for Lucent Technologies (then AT&T Inc.) in the United States as a research and development manager and marketing manager.

      Chen received an MBA from the University of Chicago and two master's degrees in computer science and mathematics.

      =====

      Timothy Y. Chen
[...]

      He served as President of Motorola (China) Electronics, Ltd., from September 2001 to September 2003. From 1992 until he joined Cybernet, he held various positions with Motorola, serving as the General Manager and being responsible for marketing and sales operations for Motorola's Greater China Cellular Infrastructure Division.

      Mr. Chen served as a Motorola Corporate Vice President since 1999. He was with the Bell Labs arm of Lucent Technologies (Formerly AT&T, Inc.) in the United States, he served in a number of technical and marketing management capacities. He served as Chairman of Motorola (China) Electronics, Ltd. from September 2001 to September 2003. He served as Director of LSI Corporation (formerly LSI Logic Corp.) from September 1, 2006 to November 12, 2008. Mr. Chen earned an MBA from the University of Chicago and holds two Master's degrees in Computer Science and Mathematics from the Ohio State University, Columbus.

      =====

[...]

      Nike will sponsor the match ball of the China Basketball Association (CBA) League under a new deal agreed with the Infront China agency.
      http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/169946/nike-provides-chinese-basketball-league-ball

      Nike will sponsor the match ball of the China Basketball Association (CBA) League under a new deal agreed with the Infront China agency.

      The deal covers the league's inaugural 2009-10 season, during which the league will use the Nike Elite Championship ball, which is used by the Euroleague and the top 250 US college programmes.

      The deal adds to Nike's existing presence in Chinese basketball, which includes the provision of kit for national men's, women's, senior and junior teams, and the running of coaching camps for junior and senior Chinese players and coaches.

      ======

      Infront Sports & Media agreed a new commercial partnership for China's national basketball team with The Pearl River Brewery.
      http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/161933/infront-signs-pearl-river-as-the-official-beer-of-team-china-basketball

      Under the deal, The Pearl River Brewery (Chinese name: Zhujiang Brewery) becomes the Official Beer of the Team China Basketball. The brand will benefit from a comprehensive package of exclusive marketing rights and will support the Team China Basketball in its preparations for the Beijing 2008 Olympics.

      Infront is the exclusive marketing partner of the Chinese Basketball Association. Team China Basketball is busy training in Beijing for a Four-Nation Men's Basketball Invitational Tournament that takes place in June next month. This tournament is part of an intensive technical preparation programme for the national team, designed by Infront as part of its in-depth partnership with the CBA. It involves China, Australia, Croatia and
      Italy.

      Paul Wong, Managing Director of Infront China, said, "We are receiving tremendous support for the national basketball team from leading Chinese corporations and warmly welcome the addition of Pearl River. There are 300 million basketball fans in China, which gives so much scope for a leading beer brand to activate this sponsorship to maximum effect."

      =====

      Tim Chen latest Microsoft China executive to leave
      by Kristi Heim
      http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/techtracks/2007/09/tim_chen_latest_microsoft_china_executive_to_leave_1.html

      Tim Chen, Microsoft's top executive in China, jumped ship to head to the National Basketball League's operations in China, the NBA said today.

      Before he joined Microsoft, Chen led Motorola's China operations. He's a well known executive in the country and was undoubtedly sought after by many companies.

      At Microsoft, Chen helped the company make progress on intellectual property issues in China, including inking partnerships with PC makers and successfully pushing for a law that requires new computers to be sold with authentic preinstalled operating system software.

      He also helped host Chinese President Hu Jintao in carefully scripted visits to Microsoft and dinner at Bill Gates' home.

      Chen starts with the NBA on Oct. 15, so Microsoft is searching for his replacement and has named Ya-Qin Zhang as acting CEO in the meantime.
      Zhang heads the company's R&D group in China.

      Chen's departure follows those of Kai-Fu Lee, whose move to Google sparked a lawsuit between Microsoft and the search giant, and Jun Tang, a basketball player himself, who left his job as president of Microsoft China to join online game company Shanda Interactive Entertainment.

      This story says Chen's move illustrates Microsoft's difficulty hanging on to executives in the world's fastest growing economy. I'd say it illustrates any multinational company's dilemma with job-hopping executives there, since the number of opportunities far outweighs the number of capable high-level managers in China

      ====

      David Stern says he is close to confirming an NBA sponsored and branded league in China.
      http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/161773/nba-of-china-edges-ever-closer

      And the basketball commissioner confirmed the China expansion would occur before the long-standing plans for five franchises in Europe.

      Stern was responding to questions asking if the domestic league would see any more additions to the 30 clubs so far taking part.

      Said Stern: "I think 30 teams is a nice, round number, and I would not be recommending to the NBA owners to expand.

      "What we will see in the next couple of years, coming out of the Beijing Olympics, is the possibility of some joint venture between the NBA and someone in China about an NBA sponsored and branded league in China."

      ======

      The NBA will return to China after it confirmed that a pre-season game between the Indiana Pacers and Denver Nuggets will be played in Beijing on October 11.
      http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/169997/nba-returns-beijing-october

      The NBA will return to China after it confirmed that a pre-season game between the Indiana Pacers and Denver Nuggets will be played in Beijing on October 11.

      The teams will meet at the Wukesong Indoor Stadium, the venue for basketball matches during the Beijing Olympics.

      "We are glad that the NBA pre-season game is coming to Beijing again," said Xin Lancheng of the Chinese Basketball Association. "Beijing's basketball fans can now watch an NBA game right on their doorstep."

      Sun Kanglin, director of Beijing Sports Bureau, added that it was encouraging "an Olympic venue was being used for the event."

      The match will be the eighth 2009 NBA pre-season game and the third time an NBA pre-season game is held in Beijing, the Chinese capital having hosted a first one in 2004 and second in 2008.

      ====

      It has been confirmed the NBA China Games will return in October.
      http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/161633/nba-china-games-set-for-october

      The event, unveiled in Shanghai this week, will see three games featuring the Cleveland Cavaliers, the Orlando Magic and the China men's national team, the NBA, the Chinese Basketball (CBA), the Shanghai Administration of Sports (SAS) and the Macao China Basketball Association said.

      Heidi Ueberroth, NBA president of global business operations, said: "The NBA has received tremendous support from the Chinese Basketball Association and the sports authorities of Shanghai and Macao in order to bring NBA teams and competitions back to China.

      "Our fans will be treated to front row seats to exciting match-ups of some of the best young talents in the NBA and China. The NBA China Games 2007 will be an important next step in the continued growth of basketball in China."

      All three games will be carried live on CCTV 5 and Great Sports Channel of SMG. The games will also be shown live on ESPN2 and NBA TV in the US, and televised to more than 200 countries around the world.

      The CBA's marketing partner is Infront.

      ====

      The NBA wants to take a role in the management of the Chinese Basketball League, according to a leading NBA official.
      http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/162637/nba-seeks-management-role-in-chinese-basketball

      "We hope - in collaboration with the Chinese authorities, China's sport ministry and the China Basketball Association - to one day be involved with the league here," Mark Fischer, vice president of NBA China, told the AFP agency.

      Fischer added, "We see China being a market because of its size and its very healthy growing economy as well as its love for basketball. I think the sky is the limit here for basketball and by extension for the NBA."

      Last week, the NBA announced the launch of NBA China to be headed by the outgoing boss of Microsoft's China operations, Tim Chen.

      Chen, who takes up his post in mid-October, will liaise with Chinese government and sporting officials to boost the NBA's growth in China.

      ====

      China's largest independent advertising and branded content group, Dynamic Marketing Group (DMG), has been appointed by NBA China to create its first brand campaign.
      http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/168193/nba-china-appoint-dmg-create-brand-campaign

      China's largest independent advertising and branded content group, Dynamic Marketing Group (DMG), has been appointed by NBA China to create its first brand campaign.

      Under the plans, DMG will work with NBA China to capitalise on the success of the USA basketball team at the Beijing Olympics with an integrated campaign that will initially raise the profile of the NBA China Games. DMG will launch an integrated TV, print, outdoor and online campaign at the same time that the NBA takes over the renamed the NBA Arena, formerly Beijing's Olympic basketball stadium.

      Founder and chief creative officer of DMG, Dan Mintz, said: "We plan to harness the power of the NBA brand and the tremendous energy, enthusiasm and unity among China's basketball fans. Sports' marketing in China is different to western markets and the NBA has appointed DMG because of our deep understanding of China, of basketball culture, and our experience of creating and promoting major events for brands. During the past three years DMG has represented Nike and worked with international sports stars such as Kobe Bryant and LeBron James."

      Basketball is China's number one sport and has approximately 350 million fans. The China Games will be televised live in China and more than 200 countries.

      =====

      US swimmer Michael Phelps agreed a deal to endorse carmaker Mazda in China.
      http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/168523/phelps-deal-pitch-cars-china

      The sponsorship with Phelps, who won a record eight Olympic gold medals in China, is the largest single deal of its kind with a western celebrity in Chinese history, according to a statement from DMG Entertainment, which announced the deal.

      Phelps, a winner of 14 Olympic gold medals overall, will exclusively endorse the new Mazda 6 model, and the campaign will be unveiled by the middle of 2009.

      Phelps has signed sponsorship deals with several companies since his performance at the Summer Games in Beijing, including Kellogg's, AT&T and Subway.

      ===

      The NBA and billionaire businessman Philip Anschutz's AEG entertainment group agreed a joint partnership to develop more than a dozen NBA-style arenas in China.
      http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/168035/nba-and-aeg-to-build-12-arenas-in-china

      The NBA and billionaire businessman Philip Anschutz's AEG entertainment group agreed a joint partnership to develop more than a dozen NBA-style arenas in China.

      Under the plans, the majority of arenas will be newly built in China's major cities and are likely to be financed largely by local and provincial governments.

      AEG president and CEO Timothy J. Leiweke told a press conference they anticipated revealing more detailed plans soon, lthough it is yet to be revealed when and where the facilities will be built.
      "We expect within the next few weeks to begin a series of announcement on opportunities, partnerships and a vision with corporation and government officials." he said. "We'd like to have visits first before being able to come up with a list and see where the best opportunities are. We anticipate that in a relatively short order, we will have laid out a road map of a dozen buildings throughout China even down to some small cities."

      According to US press reports the arenas are set to form the infrastructure of an NBA-branded league in China. The NBA currently has more than 100 employees in four cities, and 15 marketing partners in China.

      =====

      Infront Sports & Media agreed a a joint-venture deal with Excel Sports Management, to develop an athlete representation basketball business in China.
      http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/162016/infront-and-excel-sports-form-basketball-representation-partnership

      Infront is the exclusive marketing partner to China's CBA Professional Basketball League and China's national basketball teams and Excel Sports is a premiere athlete management company in the US, which represents top NBA players including Jason Kidd (NJ Nets), Paul Pierce (Boston Celtics), Lamar Odom (LA Lakers), and Tyson Chandler (New Orleans Hornets) among others.

      This is a long-term agreement, whereby Excel and Infront will partner to develop a basketball representation business in China, where the sport is flourishing and generating more and more players with outstanding potential.

      Excel Sports Management Chief Executive Jeff Schwartz, a top NBA agent who represents professional basketball players for full-service management, said: "We are excited to be on the forefront of the basketball revolution that is occurring in China. The growth potential is enormous and we could not ask for a better partner than Infront."

      The objective for the partnership is to build the most professional player representation business in China. It will create a gateway to help promising Chinese players to play overseas, gain valuable experience, as well as encourage foreign players to play in China and provide the necessary introductions and assistance to enable them to do so. As a result, players and coaches in China will enjoy much greater exposure to international basketball.

      The agreement entails setting up the infrastructure for the business, as well as training and supervising staff to understand the representation business and identify, sign and handle the professional basketball players in China. Infront will utilise Excel Sport's top international network of experts to help further develop the sport in China.

      The Infront/Excel combination already represents one of China's most prominent basketball stars and former Miami Heat (NBA) player, Wang Zhi Zhi. Already initial agreements have been reached with the Chinese sports apparel company Voit and China Mobile. Additionally there is interest from high profile NBA players wanting to establish ties to the market in China, especially with the 2008 Olympics being held in Beijing.

      John Kristick, Infront's Executive Director Asia: "Our relationship with Chinese basketball involves every aspect of the game. This partnership will help Chinese basketball to move to the next level by raising the profile and opportunities for the country's top players. We will be developing the next generation of `Yao Ming's' and that is an exciting prospect."

      ===

[...]

      Chinese investors interested in the Cleveland Cavaliers
      http://www.nbainchina.com/chinese-investors-interesting-in-the-cleveland-cavaliers/

      News has broken out that JianHua Huang and several of his partners are interesting in becoming minority stakeholders of the Cleveland Cavaliers.

      JianHua has been known to link American and Chinese business to create greater synergies, and with the expansion of the NBA in China and the formation of the NBA China entity this is a move that is both supported by the NBA and a business development that has great opportunity.