[SPORTS] Ha Seung-jin (Korean "Yao Ming")

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2003
      Ha Seung-Jin
      Birthdate: 1985
      NBA Position: Center
      Class: HS Junior
      Ht: 7-3
      Wt: 305
      Hometown: Seoul, Korea
      High School: Samil Commerce
      2002 Stats
      http://nbadraft.net/profiles/haseung-jin.htm

      NBA Comparison: Yao Ming

      Ha Sueng-Jin has Yao Ming like qualities, with enormous size, good
      dexterity and composure. His touch on his shot is good, making Ha
      another Asian bigman sensation. Plus he has the quickness and size
      to be a shot blocker and a defensive presence. Ha will be able to
      break new ground as the first Korean player to ever play in the NBA.
      Ha has stated that he will declare for the 2004 NBA draft. One very
      encouraging note is that Ha can play a game all the way through
      without getting winded. Which is impressive considering his age and
      enormous size. Possibly most astounding is that X-rays reveal that
      he is still growing!

      On Jan 30th SFX group went to South Korea and tested Seung-jin's
      agility, ball-handling skills and shooting ability over two days.
      Seung-jin was given rave reviews by the group. Before the change in
      the NBA's International eligibility rule, Ha was not eligible for
      the 2003 NBA Draft. He planned to stay in South Korea for another
      year while he earned his high school degree. After which he would
      head to the the United States to train. No word on whether Ha's
      plans have changed due to the change in the rule, however it's
      likely that Ha will stay with the plan and train for the 2004 draft.
      If all goes well, Ha Seung-jin will be the first Korean to make it
      to the NBA. As a sophomore he led his high school team to a 22-0
      record, averaging 27 points and 10 rebounds per game. He has led his
      team to four championship titles including one at the National
      Sports Festival in Cheju last November.

      Basketball in his genes: Ha's father, Dong-ki who is 6-6 tall, was a
      former member of the Korean National team that placed second at the
      1978 Bangkok Asian Games. Ha's sister, also an astonishing 6-6, had
      a successful basketball career.

      Lee Yun-hwan (Seung-jin's High School coach) on Ha:
      "Even with such imposing height, he is nimble and shrewd, keying
      rallies at both ends of the court. He can play a game all the way
      through without losing his wind."

      "After building his frame to perfect condition, he will become a
      competitive player in the U.S. As you can see, he is still growing.
      He has enormous potential", said Choun Soo-gil, an Internet sports
      columnist and webmaster for the Korea Basketball Association.

      Injury concerns: Players of Seung-jin's size are prime candidates
      for knee and foot injuries. With injuries having ended or limited
      the careers of countless bigmen including Ralph Sampson, Gheorge
      Muresan, Arvydas Sabonis, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, and others. Both Ha's
      father and sister had successful basketball careers end prematurely
      due to injury. Staying healthy appears to be the biggest area of
      concern for him. "Health is the most important thing which my son
      should keep in mind," said Ha's 6-6 father Dong-ki.

      Ha on his future:
      "I will prevail on the court to realize what my father failed to
      accomplish. It's time for me to concentrate on practicing."

      ================

      High School Colossus Ha Takes Aim at NBA

      By Park Song-wu
      Staff Reporter
      South Korea's tallest basketball player Ha Seung-jin is stepping
      ahead with plans to advance to the NBA following a successful test,
      which was administered by an American sports agency late last month.

      ``I agreed in principle to sign an agent contract with them sometime
      soon,'' said Ha's father Dong-ki, who is the de facto manager for
      his 2.2-meter-tall son.

      The SFX Sports Group performed the two-day test starting Jan. 30 at
      a stadium in Suwon, southern Seoul, to take a thorough look at the
      potential of the 18-year-old, who becomes a third-year high school
      student this year.

      ``They contacted me first and showed strong interest in my son's
      height and weight. They carefully tested my son's agility, ball
      handling skills, and his sense of shooting,'' the senior Ha told The
      Korea Times.

      Ha Seung-jin was the driving force behind his team's 22 consecutive
      victories last year, winning four championship titles, including the
      high school basketball tourney at the National Sports Festival in
      Cheju last November.

      His father also explained that SFX had highly appraised his son's
      140-kg frame, believing the youngster could handle the physical side
      of the NBA.

      Adding to his star potential is that Ha has overcome the weaknesses
      that have dogged most tall players – poor stamina and a lack of
      shooting accuracy.

      Ha can play a full game without losing steam, and is averaging 27
      points and 10 boards per game to go along with a free-throw accuracy
      of 70 percent, said Ha's coach Lee Yun-hwan of the Samil Commercial
      High School.

      ``A detailed timetable for the contract will be discussed soon, and
      the timing for my son's move to the U.S. will be decided after he
      finishes his high school education,'' added the 2-meter-tall father,
      who also was a prominent cager.

      Ha can't participate in the 2003 NBA draft due to a protocol,
      preventing those under 18 from attending the trial.

      ``After building his frame to perfect condition, he will become a
      competitive player in the U.S. As you can see, he is still growing.
      He has enormous potential,'' said Choun Soo-gil, an Internet sports
      columnist and webmaster for the Korea Basketball Association.

      Ha Seung-jin has grown two centimeters over the last year and is 13
      centimeters taller than the Samsung Thunders' star center Seo Jang-
      hoon, the tallest player in the Korean Basketball League (KBL).

      ``It's like my son is stepping up to the starting line. Even though
      they reacted positively to my son's potential, nothing has changed
      because we didn't sign anything yet. So I will focus on training my
      son for the time being as we did before,'' Ha's father said.

      ===============

      Media Spotlight
      Towering Korean teen eyeing NBA
      http://wk.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/html_dir/2003/02/06/20030206000
      6.asp

      Korea's tallest basketball player Ha Seung-jin, who is still a high
      school student, is taking aim at the NBA.

      High-ranking officials of U.S. sport management firm SFX visited
      Korea to test out the 2.2 m-tall kid for two days last week and gave
      high marks on his potential as a future MBA player, media reports
      said.

      Bob Meyer, vice president of SFX is quoted as having said that Ha,
      in light of his age, seems to excel Yao Ming of the Houston Rockets
      in power and growth potential.

      Ha rallied his Samil Commerce High School team to sweep four
      championship titles last year riding on its 22 consecutive
      victories. Having enough stamina to play a full game, the 17-year-
      old boy averages 27 points and 10 boards per game and boasts a free-
      throw accuracy of 70 percent.

      Weighing more than 140 kg, Ha is likely to grow a few more inches as
      doctors found his cartilage is still tender.

      Ha is not yet allowed to join the NBA draft due to the age limit of
      18 for all players.

      2003.02.06