[CHINA] Google Teams Up with Xunlei

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5 12:55 PM
      Google Teams Up With China's Xunlei
      Associated Press
      http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/01/05/ap3301525.html?
      partner=alerts

      Google Inc. and a Chinese partner on Friday announced a new Internet
      venture as the U.S.-based search engine tries to expand its share of
      China's growing online market.

      Google (nasdaq: GOOG - news - people ) said it would add its search
      technology to services offered by Xunlei Network Technology Inc.,
      which provides video and game downloads.

      Google is trying to expand its presence in China, where it ranks
      behind local search engine Baidu.com, (nasdaq: BIDU - news - people )
      which has more than 60 percent of the Chinese search market.

      Google and Xunlei did not release financial details of their venture.

      "We hope to expand our relationship into many new areas over the
      coming years," Xunlei president Zou Shenglong said in a statement.

      Also this week, Google announced it was teaming up with China Mobile
      (nyse: CHL - news - people ), the country's biggest cell phone
      carrier, to provide search services for mobile phones.