[FINANCES] Anthony Hsieh (LendingTree) on Mortgage Refis

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2006
      Insider Q&A on mortgage refis
      http://blogs.ocregister.com/lansner/

      With mortgage rates low but home sales sluggish, what's a lender to
      do? Apparently, handle a fresh wave of refinance business. To see
      what's up, we checked in with an old O.C. banker and online lending
      pioneer, Anthony Hsieh, now president of LendingTree ...

      Q: What's driving the refi market, other than low rates? How much is
      it folks moving to avoid major payment shock when teaser rates go
      away?
      A: Low rates and adjusting (adjustable rate mortgages) ARMs have
      created what we are calling a "mini-refi boom." Last week the MBA
      recorded a year-over-year jump in refi activity of 59.8 percent.
      That's a lot of people taking advantage of some of lowest rates we've
      seen all year. No more dragging their feet – it's time to get out of
      that risky ARM.

      Q: What kind of loans are people using to refi? In the past, lots of
      folks were just restarting teaser-rate ARMs vs. locking in fixed. ...
      Has that changed?

      A: With long-term and short-term rates running neck in neck, we are
      seeing activity with both. Some are swapping an ARM for an ARM, but
      also there are those who are interested in locking in to a fixed
      product. We are, however, seeing that due to payment shock on a fixed
      rate, these customers are looking at three- to five-year fixed
      interest-only loans as an alternative.

      Q: Are cash outs still big? We know there's still lots of equity
      available.
      A: Cash out remains king. Borrowers will take the opportunity to
      leverage equity and tax deductibility through their home. Right now
      it is just a matter of whether or not they can afford the payment and
      if they have enough equity to pull cash out.

      Q: Any new loans out there that's catching people's fancy?
      A: Right now we're not seeing anything new. Borrowers are still
      staying loyal to the old standbys.

      Q: What's your outlook for rates in '07?
      A: We look for interest rates to stay relatively flat for the first
      half of 2007, with the possibility of rate decreases by the Federal
      Reserve in the second half.

      Q: And what about foreclosures? How bad may it get?
      A: Rising rates, resetting ARMs and slowing home appreciation have
      created a foreclosure formula. To keep it in perspective, the
      foreclosure activity we are seeing is a jump from what has been
      historically low in recent years. Subprime borrowers are at a greater
      risk of facing foreclosure due to the reasons listed above. What's
      important is preventing any more. Borrowers need to take a healthy
      look at their finances and fully understand what they can afford
      before purchasing a home.