[FILM] Camille Chen - Actor on Studio 60

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2006
      It's About to Shine Brighter on Studio 60
      By Ada Tseng
      http://www.asiaarts.ucla.edu/061208/article.asp?parentid=59064

      Camille Chen went from commercials and guest roles to landing a
      coveted re-occuring spot on Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, where she
      plays a featured player on the show-within-a-show and gets to share
      screentime with such TV veterans as Matthew Perry, Bradley Whitford,
      and DL Hughley.

      While NBC's Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip may focus more on the
      behind-the-scenes production of a sketch comedy show and the politics
      of the network-studio struggle, even a fake television show must be
      cast with some believably talented stars. In the more prominent
      roles, we have Sarah Paulson as Harriet Hayes, the devout and pouty
      object of Matt Albie's bitter affection, DL Hughley as Simon Stiles,
      the frustrated Yale School of Drama graduate turned comedian, and
      Nate Corddry as Tom Jeter, a sweet-faced up-and-comer often found in
      inconvenient costumes. To round out the cast, there is also Jeannie
      Whatley (Ayda Field), Dylan Killington (Nate Torrence), and Alex
      Dwyer (Simon Helberg).

      And last but not least, there is Camille Chen's Samantha Li, the cute
      Asian girl we've seen in various sketches and rehearsals -- playing a
      judgmental customer service operator, acting as one of the girls from
      a Bachelor spoof, and being exasperated by Harriet's inability to
      tell a simple knock-knock joke -- but who we have yet to get to know
      fully on-screen. But we will, assures actress Camille Chen, as Aaron
      Sorkin continues to develop more and more stories involving the cast.

      About half a year ago, Chen was another LA actress, struggling with
      auditions, juggling hostessing jobs, and debating going back to
      school for her Masters in Theater because she was bored out of her
      mind with the lapses between the jobs. But then she had one of those
      lucky days when stars align and the world tells you not to give up
      hope because great changes can happen in a short period of time and
      send unexpected opportunities snowballing your way.

      When the pilot of Studio 60 was shot, Sarah Paulson was the only
      female character on the cast for the show-within-a-show. Aaron
      Sorkin -- writer/producer/creator of Studio 60, former
      writer/producer/creator of The West Wing and Sports Night -- wanted
      to add two more female characters. One ended up being Ayda Field's
      character, Jeannie. And one was more open and ambiguous.

      "When I showed up for the audition, I actually read from Ayda's
      script," says Chen, "because Aaron hadn't written anything for the
      character. No description, ethnicity, age range, anything."

      After Camille got the call from her agent, she showed up to audition
      at 10:30am. By 4:30 pm, Chen was called back for a second time. By
      the callback, it was clear from the contenders that they had decided
      the character was going to be an Asian girl. The casting directors
      had asked the actresses to come in prepared with some examples of
      sketch characters. One of the characters Chen had created involved
      her changing into a little schoolgirl skirt with kneehigh socks in
      the middle of her audition and doing her bit: "I love playing up the
      Asian stereotypes, cause I think it's hilarious. Some people get
      really offended by it, but I think, if you can't make fun of
      yourself, then....[shrugs]."

      "They [executive producing team Aaron Sorkin and Tommy Schlamme] were
      so welcoming from the beginning," she says. "So dry and sarcastic.
      And the banter between us was great because Tommy Schamme went to my
      high school, and he also went to UT [where Camille graduated], so we
      had a lot to talk about."

      So, after some comedy, some bonding, and some playfully daring trash
      talk to Syracuse-alum Sorkin's face ("What's your mascot again? The
      Orangemen??"), Chen walked away with a recurring role on one of the
      most anticipated, high-profile shows of the season. That same day,
      she was messengered her first script. Three days later, she had a
      photo shoot, and the day after that, she started shooting with the
      likes of Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford.

      "It was crazy," says Chen. "This business is so up and down. You get
      so excited and then you get really low. It took me a year after I
      moved to LA to book a job. And that was just a commercial. Everyone
      gets frustrated and quits so quickly. But you can't do that. You
      can't give up if this is what you really love to do."

      Born in Taipei, Taiwan and raised in Houston, Texas, Chen began
      perfoming since she was very young, a love which began with a passion
      for singing. In fact, she admits she used to in an Asian girl group
      called At Last -- "Destiny's Child-wannabes," she jokes -- prior to
      moving out to LA to pursue acting full-time. In college at the
      University of Texas at Austin, she enrolled as a Business major but
      changed to Theater her sophomore year without telling her mother.

      "She was not having me," Chen recalls, mildly amused. "She freaked
      out. But then, the money that I was making made her feel a little
      more secure when she realized I could get paid for this. My first job
      was a featured extra. I was Miss New Hampshire in Miss Congeniality.
      And then, I booked an Old Navy holiday commercial. And national
      commercials you get paid a lot for. So gradually she became more
      accepting.

      "Now, she's like 'Oh, yea. I told her to pursue acting from the
      start.'" Chen laughs.

      "Or she says: 'Can you tell Aaron Sorkin to make the characters talk
      slower?'

      'Yes, Mom, I'll just call him up and tell him.'"

      After some mixed reactions and a worrisome audience drop-off rate,
      Studio 60 had recently been in danger of cancellation. But NBC
      decided to give Sorkin and the cast a chance to grow. "It's so great
      that NBC picked up the back 9 episodes," says Chen. "Because I think
      if they didn't, it would have not given Aaron the opportunity to
      develop my character because he added me so late."

      APA talks to Camille Chen about how she landed this gig, what we can
      look forward to on the show, and why acting is its own reward.

      APA: Were you a fan of Aaron Sorkin before you got the show?

      Camille Chen: Yes. I loved The West Wing. Bradley Whitford is
      awesome. And now I'm also obsessed with this show Brothers and
      Sisters, which I started watched because Rob Lowe was on it. But
      Aaron's writing is so good. It's very specific, down to every beat,
      every 'and' or 'the.'

      APA: Did you watch Saturday Night Live or Mad TV or any other sketch
      comedy shows to prepare for the role?

      Camille: No, because Aaron wanted us to know that it was more about
      the behind-the-scenes aspect. So, not really. I don't have a sketch
      background. Simon Helberg -- he does the Nicolas Cage impression --
      and Nate Torrance, the Capital One guy, they both did Second City
      together. But they didn't make it a requirement to have a sketch
      background because they emphasized: This is a one-hour drama. This
      isn't a sketch show.

      APA: What is the atmosphere like on set?

      Camille: It's such a tight knit crew. Everyone is so friendly. The
      very first scene I shot was when we were in the white dresses. And we
      were in a huddle about to go on to do our musical theater number, and
      they called us to set for lighting and camera rehearsal. I walked on
      the set and Bradley and Matthew looked at me and said, "Hey new cast
      member!" And Matthew was like, "OK we have to make up a secret
      handshake." And I was like, "Oh my God, you're Matthew Perry."

      But yea, it's great. It's long hours, but the atmosphere is never
      tense. No one's a diva. Sarah and Matt and Brad all have tons of
      dialogue. Brad has some practice from The West Wing, but Matthew came
      from a half-hour sitcom, so he gets frustrated sometimes. [laughs]
      But Matthew is a huge ball-buster. Cause for me, sometimes if I only
      have one line or one word, I obsess about it in my head. Should I say
      it like this? Or like this. And one time, Matthew was just
      like, "Camille! You have one line!"

      APA: The sketch characters that you play on the show -- do they use
      stuff from the characters you brought in for your audition?

      Camille. Yes. Well, he will incorporate it.

      APA: Has it not aired yet? The one I've seen so far is the one where
      you play the telephone operator.

      Camille: Oh, Tim Busfield was directing that episode, and he told me
      to add something to the character. He said, "Give her a speech
      impediment, or give her an accent." And I did the Asian accent, and
      they were cracking up. And they said, "Oh that's good." But it sucks
      cause Aaron likes the acting so real, so he never wants a sketch to
      be overacted. He never wants it to be compared to SNL. Because I
      wanted to do so much more with that. And also, I had to downplay it
      because that scene was just a lighting rehearsal within the show.

      APA: Yea, it's an interesting dynamic of the show. Because you see
      these comedy sketches being rehearsed, but when you see the reactions
      of the characters to the sketches, instead of laughing at what you
      guys do, they're so serious because they're studying it.

      Camille: Yes, which is why I think it hasn't appealed to many people
      who aren't in the industry or who don't live here, because they don't
      understand what's going on. Aaron likes to write paralleling true
      life, so a lot of the stuff that has been written in has actually
      happened, or they're based off real people that he knows. And in a
      script that I just got, he wrote this exchange between DL Hughley and
      I on the show, and it was almost exactly a conversation that Aaron
      and I had. About the difference between being Chinese and Taiwanese.
      And it was awesome. I just thought that was hilarious.

      Because a lot of my friends are like, "Wait, are you Chinese?" But a
      lot of times when I say I'm Taiwanese, the person could be super
      smart, but they'll say, "Oh, Thailand?" Or, "What is that?" Or "Where
      is that?" And I'll think, "Really?" So when I'm too lazy to explain
      the whole thing -- which, I should never be too lazy -- I just say
      Chinese.

      APA: Also, sometimes when you say Taiwanese, people take it as a very
      politically charged statement.

      Camille: Oh, totally. My grandma would totally say Taiwanese. My mom
      says Chinese. When I asked my mom when I was younger what I should
      say, she said "Just say Chinese." But then again, she also didn't go
      through what my grandma went through. But it was funny, so Aaron and
      I had a conversation about it. Because, at the audition, he pretty
      much said, "I'm developing this character as the show goes along, so
      I don't know anything about her yet. I'm pretty much going to base
      the character off of you as Camille."

      So when he finally decided what to name my character, he asked me if
      it was OK to spell my last name L-I. Because that's the mainland
      spelling. It's funny, cause he asked, "Would your family be offended?
      Because NBC didn't OK it for it to be spelled L-E-E."

      APA: Really? Because Lee is the Taiwanese spelling? I wonder who
      these studio executives are who had a meeting and said, "We want her
      name to be spelled Li, not Lee." Because they have Chinese affiliates?

      Camille: Yea, I don't know. So when he asked me that... I mean, I've
      played a Korean girl. So I said, "No, she won't be offended, but
      thank you for asking." But then we had the talk, which ends up in one
      of the episodes that comes up.

      APA: Which you can't tell me about... But, it's cool because the
      world of sketch comedy has been known as kind of a male arena. Except
      for recently on SNL, with Tina Fey and all of them. And in terms of
      Asians, we've had Bobby Lee. But Asian women doing sketch comedy?
      We've never seen that.

      Camille: Right. Ever. I think Lucy Liu was on SNL as a guest host.

      APA: Yes. But she was the first Asian woman to host. She said that in
      her monologue, and spoofed all the Asian stereotypes. But she's the
      only one, because there haven't been any since then.

      Camille: Crazy... Well on our show, we did the telephone sketch, and
      we've done a couple other sketches, but Aaron hasn't really written
      ethnicity into the show yet. It's just the whole political, religious
      stuff.

      APA: As an Asian actress in Hollywood, do you have any interesting
      audition stories?

      Camille: It's so weird. I see all the same girls at all the
      auditions. It's gotten to the point where -- there can be up to 10
      steps for an audition -- but now it's come to the point where I
      always see this girl named Julia Ling [who had a guest role on Studio
      60, playing a powerful Macao businessman's daughter for two
      episodes], and I always see this girl named Moon Bloodgood, who's
      actually on this show, Daybreak with Taye Diggs. The casting
      directors know us now.

      But actually, I auditioned for Lost recently. And they wanted me to
      speak Thai! And, I mean, my last name is Chen! I was like.. all
      Asians are not the same!

      APA: That's ridiculous. What did you do?

      Camille: Nothing. I said I couldn't speak it. I don't know. It's
      frustrating. You can complain, but ultimately, what my acting coach
      says is -- do you want to work? And it's true. We have to work. My
      biggest accomplishment is not having to wait tables anymore.

      Official Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip site:
      http://www.nbc.com/Studio_60_on_the_Sunset_Strip/