Minutes of meeting 20th Feb '05
- Minutes of todays meeting are attached.
Minutes of the meeting on Feb 20th, 2005 at Cubbon Park, 11 AM
Attendees: Venkat, Sanjay, Balwant, Akshita, Siva, Sujata, Garima,
Vineela, Vijay, Shiva
* Garima gave an introduction to Asha to the new volunteers. There were
some questions and discussion about various aspects of Asha Bangalore.
A number of new volunteers were at the meeting. Venkat to add them to
our Asha Blr mailing lists.
* Siva gave an update on the accounts front:
- Raja and Siva will be signatories to the Asha Bangalore a/c to be
opened after 31st March, for the next financial year. A/c will be in
HDFC or ICICI. Asha Mumbai has opened one in ICICI. Siva to contact
Lucknow for a/c opening formalities and paperwork.
- Monthly Pledge Scheme (MPS): Commitments to the tune of Rs. 1
lakh/yr have been collected. We also have a Rs. 40k donation about
which Siva will send details. We now have the capacity to take on a few
more projects and set a target for fundraising for next year. More
publicity for the MPS should be done by all members after we open our
- Calendars: Garima updated on the status. We sold 360 calendars this
year for a net profit of around Rs. 20,500. This money will be added to
the chapters pool of funds and used for new projects as the group
decides. It was also suggested that next year we contact bookstores
like Crossword to get them to stock and sell the calendars.
- Zoo trip for kids: Siva has the details and money will be
reimbursed to whoever has provided receipts to him. The money will come
from MPS funds.
- Painting competition: A/c closing still needs to be done. All are
requested to contact Siva for reimbursements. With the ads/brochure
money coming in, we may have made a small profit from the painting
comp. Siva will update on the details.
- Siva will be closing the accounts for this financial year by March.
He also mentioned that this year on, we should publish our annual
accounts summary on the web, like the US chapters do.
* Projects discussion:
- A number of project proposals have been received by Asha Blr. There
is a need to systematically track these with site visits, reviews and
funding decision. Three recommendations were agreed upon by the
(i) All projects need to fill out the standard Asha projects
questionnaire which should be put up on the web. Vijay volunteered to
prepare this for Asha Blr by using Seattle's template and modifying
(ii) Siva suggested that we should put on our website a projects
log, with an updated list of projects, status and Asha contact details.
All new proposals received would thus be tracked through the website
and be accessible by anyone. Volunteer is needed for this item.
(iii) Each project also would be assigned a project 'steward', ie,
an Asha volunteer who will be the single point contact for the project,
and be responsible for arranging site visits, obtaining reports,
funding requests and keep the group informed.
- A few visits have been carried out by Asha Blr volunteers in the
last few weeks. Thomas will be sending a report on the Bidar blind
school visit. Pratibha will write the report for the Kolar visit.
- There was some discussion on the email from Kentaro about the BTR
basketball project. The project proposal is to be put into standard
format first. Then we need to evaluate the request keeping the
perspective of our ongoing projects and the renumeration we pay to
teachers we have appointed at the Govt. school. It was also suggested
that Asha Blr could get involved by funding basketball workshops for
our kids from the Govt schools.
- Venkat mentioned about a project in Dharmapuri which had contacted
Silicon Valley for funding, but did not have FCRA. Now they have
obtained FCRA and would like Asha to consider their proposal. More
follow up action to be taken after the filled out projects
questionnaire is received by Venkat. We decided to direct the project
back to Silicon Valley, and we could help out with site visit if
* Other items:
- Painting competition feedback: Muzaffar will be compiling a log of
useful information, that can be utilized next year by the organizing
group. Siva to provide him details on food arrangements. Garima to
provide details on ads and sponsorships. Others who have been
responsible for making any of the arrangements (Shashi - audio, Vanita
- painting supplies, Suja - judges and chief guest, Srikanth - printing
certificates etc) please email Muzaffar your inputs, please include the
contacts you tried (successfully or not), and any other details that
should be noted down.
- New volunteers are requested to send any feedback (positive or
negative) about the painting competition and how things could be
improved next year.
- Siva mentioned a number of opportunities for new volunteers
including (i) an effort to make a web interface for district specific
data on schools in Karnataka (ii) a small project for a Delhi based
resource center, Nirantar, where they need help with analyzing some
data on the effectiveness of their work, and preparing a report..
please contact Siva if interested.
- The idea of an Asha South regional had been floated a few meetings
back. It was decided to work on this and organize it after a few
months. Need a volunteer for taking this on - contacting Asha Hyd and
Chennai, planning dates, venues, agenda etc.
- Garima suggested a possible next event for Asha Blr, a fundraising
event where we organize a festival of films (Indian and international)
related to and about children. Various groups in Bangalore are already
active in the films screening circuit. Garima to contact them to figure
out logistical details and copyright issues if any, that may be
involved. The films screened would be from a personal DVD collection.
Need another volunteer to help with planning this.