Re: [ascent CAT] CAT 2001 sum

  • bhakta kishore panigrahi
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2003
      dear tejas,
      the answer is 9km.

      if you solve it traditionally you will land up in an
      equation of fourth degree which is highly time
      consuming to solve. here is the trick to solve
      quickly.

      from the question it is clear that there is a right
      angled triangle with sides 9 and 3+2r containing the
      right angle.
      hence value of 3+ 2r can be 12 or 40 .
      if try with these two values you will find that 12 is
      the correct value of 3+2r.
      hence r = 4.5 km or d = 9 km.

      bhakta

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com