Help on CAT

  • iabhinav
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2002
      Dear Fellows,

      I am a student of B.Tech.(IT), 3rd year and I have started my CAT prep
      only around a month back.
      Now I am in a fix as to how to prepare in the limited time that I have as I
      have to go for a 6 week training in june-july.
      I have recently joined this group & this is my first message & I was
      hoping that since you all have been in this line for some time now,
      maybe you could give me some good tips & references on cracking the
      CAT.
      Also if anyone knows about Vedic Maths please let me know.

      Bye
    • RAJKUMAR MURTHY
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 6, 2002
        Dear Iabinav,
        Since u r a techi, u should be having more of u r own
        secret tips yourself. Joking!!!
        Now coming to one very important factor for success in
        CAT is "time - allocation and also continuity". I take
        liberty to asking you a simple question.
        Does studying for 8hrs in one day of the week
        equalize studying everyday for 1 or 1 1/2 hrs? Then
        here is u r answer. it is continuity( a regular
        practice of all areas allocated propotionately). Even
        in ur tight schedule, u may find it possible to
        allocate an hour or two. Have all the sufficient
        course material. the Rest is u r own tehniques based
        on u r individuality. and also there are many books
        available on Vedic Maths. You can find these in all
        leading book shops (Higginbothams, etc).

        All the very best.
        Rajkumar
      • Ellayavilli Dasarathy
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2002
          Hi All,
          I am in need of a single answer re admission to IIM. I
          want to know what are all the criteria that will be
          evaluated when u are to be considered for getting into
          IIMs. Is cat alone is enough. Not to say CAT is a cake
          walk. I want to know wether is it possible for people
          like me to get in to IIMs who dont have a degree from
          RECs IITs or BITS Pliani. Please clarify my doubts on this.

          Everything you always wanted to know about cars and bikes,now
          at: http://in.autos.yahoo.com
        • Arun Jagannathan
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 7, 2002
            hi ED (dont want to sprain my tongue pronuncing ur name :) )

            The following factors with varying weightages are taken into account in the final evaluation in IIMs

            1. CAT score 65-70%
            2. Performance in PI 15-20%
            3. Performance in GD 10-15%
            4. Work experience (lower cut offs in CAT)a
            5. Past academic performance (more points in PI)b
            6. Profile (competition less)c
            7. Other activities (brownie points in PI)d

            (1= People with workexp given preference and are seen to clear CAT with lesser attempt. Infact IIM-B called only people with workexp this year.

            2= Having a consistently good record reflects that you have the tenacity to take the academic load of the IIMs [20hrs/day schedules]

            3= If you have an unique profile say a doctor or an architect you will stand out. Bschools believe in diversity (you learn more from your classmates than from your teachers). They usually have predefined quotas for each category – engineer, b.sc, b.com, bba etc

            4= If you are a national level basketball player or have an NCC ‘C’ certificate then you are seen as a “rounded” personality. Definitely anything impressing the interview panel is good for you.)

            Of these the most vital one is no doubt the CAT score. You can worry about the rest as and when u start getting the calls. So please focus on the written exam for the moment. A high CAT score will be great buffer in case you manage to make a fool of yourself in the GD/PI.

            So don't worry atall. I have heard people getting into the IIMs with a degree from the remotest of places in India.

            Hope this helps,

            Rgds,

            ARUN

            On Fri, 07 Jun 2002 Ellayavilli Dasarathy wrote :
            > Hi All,
            >I am in need of a single answer re admission to IIM. I
            >want to know what are all the criteria that will be
            >evaluated when u are to be considered for getting into
            >IIMs. Is cat alone is enough. Not to say CAT is a cake
            >walk. I want to know wether is it possible for people
            >like me to get in to IIMs who dont have a degree from
            >RECs IITs or BITS Pliani. Please clarify my doubts on this.

            Click below to visit monsterindia.com and review jobs in India or Abroad
            http://monsterindia.rediff.com/jobs
          • hari kris
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 7, 2002
              hi ED

              i wud share a fact that "two TTRs(who worked with
              indian railways) got admits in IIM A last year"

              so wat is required is not a IITian or a BITSian tag,
              but,to quote jack welch,just that u shoud "want it".

              Cheers
              hari

              http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com