Need Shortcuts

  • Prashanth S
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 18, 2003
      Hi friends,
      I had appealed to the group earlier too with the same question but unfortunately did not get any response. I am in a desperate need of shortcuts in DI.i.e. when I get 16537/2763 ..it seem to take ages for me to get to the answer.

      I feel that this is faced by many..so I would really appreciate the techniques that can be shared here.

      Thanks and Best Regards,
      Prashanth Bhargav.
    • Arun Babbar
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 28, 2003
        hey dude!
        prasanth this is in response to ur query on
        calculating faster. hope it helps.

        the idea is to take approx.
        e.g. ur problem 16537/2763
        step 1: 16537/2763 > 16537/3000
        step 2: 16537/3000 = 5.51233
        step 3: now since we increased the denom by 237, i.e
        237/2763 = 8% (approx) {simply div 237 by 28 (taking
        approx)}
        step 4: now just add 8% of the result in step 2 to
        itself. therefore 8% of 5.51233= .055 x 8 (approx) =
        .440
        therefore our final result becomes 5.51233 + .440 =
        5.95233 (approx)
        step 4: just cool it buddy. don't worry that we took
        approx so many times. our result would not be a lot
        different from the accurate. AND remember u will have
        choices in the paper so choose the nearest to the
        result in this manner. and ur result will be 99%
        correct (not approx)

        good luck
        Arun
        --- Prashanth S <prashanths@...> wrote:
        > Hi friends,
        > I had appealed to the group earlier too with the
        > same question but unfortunately did not get any
        > response. I am in a desperate need of shortcuts in
        > DI.i.e. when I get 16537/2763 ..it seem to take ages
        > for me to get to the answer.
        >
        > I feel that this is faced by many..so I would really
        > appreciate the techniques that can be shared here.
        >
        > Thanks and Best Regards,
        > Prashanth Bhargav.

        =====
        sare jahan se acha hindustan hamara
        "JAI HIND"

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Tejas Mehta
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 29, 2003
          Hi group,
          this one is straight from CAT 2001,plz help me to
          solve it.

          A certain city has a circular wall around it,and this
          wall has four gates pointing north,south,east and
          west. A house stands outside the city, three kms north
          of the north gate, and it can just be seen from a
          point nine kms east of the south gate. What is the
          diameter of the wall that surrounds the city?

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • bhakta kishore panigrahi
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3 2:57 PM
            dear tejas,
            the answer is 9km.

            if you solve it traditionally you will land up in an
            equation of fourth degree which is highly time
            consuming to solve. here is the trick to solve
            quickly.

            from the question it is clear that there is a right
            angled triangle with sides 9 and 3+2r containing the
            right angle.
            hence value of 3+ 2r can be 12 or 40 .
            if try with these two values you will find that 12 is
            the correct value of 3+2r.
            hence r = 4.5 km or d = 9 km.

            bhakta

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com