Re: [ascent CAT] Doubts

  • srinivas
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12, 2003
      this is the answer for the second question in this mail

      Answer
      ---------
      since raju has to put atleaast 120 oranges in one box.. the remaining boxes are 128-1 = 127  and remaining oranges are 144-120 = 24
      so he has to put 24 oranges in 127 boxes so that least no. of boxes have same number of  oranges...
      so he puts one ornage each in 24 boxes .. ( to maximise the filling of the boxes..) so 103 boxes have 0 oranges in them

      Had the question been find the " maximum " number of boxes that have same number of oranges.. then
      raju can put 120 oranges in one box and all remaining  24 oranges in one box . so max number will be 126

      have a good day
      bye
      srinivas

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 26, 2003
        I am afraid the soln provided below is wrong.

        Answer is of course 103
        Soln-
        since he fills in 120 oranges in one box,remaining box=127.Raju can fill upto 144 oranges per box but with least number of boxes with same no of oranges.So he can fill in 24 of the rest 127 boxes with 121,122,123...144 oranges.So the least no of boxes with same no of oranges would be 127-24=103.

        Regards,
        Vimala

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2003
          U ALL R INTERPRETING THE QUESTION WRONG
          its never mentioned in the question that number of oranges is 144. All
          that is mentioned is that in any of the boxes u can put any number of
          oranges between 120 and 144 i.e. in 25 ways.
          so the least number is [128/25] = 5
          start putting different number of oranges in boxes.
          120,121,....... 144 : 25 boxes
          120,121,....... 144 : 25 boxes
          120,121,....... 144 : 25 boxes
          120,121,....... 144 : 25 boxes
          120,121,....... 144 : 25 boxes
          x1,x2,x3 : 3 boxes

          hence the lease number of boxes having same number of oranges is 5.

          avinashkumar@...

          http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html
        • prashant pandey
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9, 2003
            u r almost right...but its not 5, rather 6...in your own solution, what values will x1, x2, x3 take. it will surely be something between 120 & 144...hence the least possible number of boxes having the same number of oranges will be 6...not 5
            -prashant