Re: [2IIM CAT Prep] Work....

  • anurag gupta
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2010
      Hey all !

      What is the correct method and answer ?

      There are 3 explanation below with 3 different answers as - 30days, 7.5 days and 15 days ?

      Can you all 3 - Rahul , ashish anand and raja raman - explain which is correct answer and why ?

      Thanks
      Anurag

      On 4/22/10, Rahul R. Gupta <rrahulanker@...> wrote:

      To neeli

      1/a+1/b+1/c = 1/15 eqn 1
      for 5 days work done = 5/15 = 1/3
      work remaining = 1-1/3 = 2/3
       2/3 of work has done by b + c in 20 day then
      ful work will be done by them in 20*3/2 =30 day
      1/b+1/c = 1/30 eqn 2

      from eqn 1 & 2
      1/a+1/30 = 1/15
      1/a = 1/15

      there fore "a" alone can complete same work in 15 days

      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2010
        Hi Rahul,
        I think you have made a mistake in the below part."A" can complete the work in 30 days.

        > 1/a+1/30 = 1/15
        > 1/a = 1/15

        -Deepak.

        --- In ascent4cat@yahoogroups.com, "Rahul R. Gupta" <rrahulanker@...> wrote:

        > To neeli
        >
        > 1/a+1/b+1/c = 1/15 eqn 1
        > for 5 days work done = 5/15 = 1/3
        > work remaining = 1-1/3 = 2/3
        >  2/3 of work has done by b + c in 20 day then
        > ful work will be done by them in 20*3/2 =30 day
        > 1/b+1/c = 1/30 eqn 2
        >
        > from eqn 1 & 2
        > 1/a+1/30 = 1/15
        > 1/a = 1/15
        >
        > there fore "a" alone can complete same work in 15 days

      • deepak1982_narayanan
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2010
          Hi Jitesh,
          Is the question complete?Data is given for no.of students bt the q is asked for avg salary.No info is given abt the salary.Can u pls check the q again?

          -Deepak.

          --- In ascent4cat@yahoogroups.com, JiM <iiitm_jitesh@...> wrote:

          > hey how to find average quickly. Like for this : the no of student opting
          > for finance in IIM a,b,c are 90,50,45. Find the Average Salary? data Given
          > Finance Student in : IIM A : 620, IIM B: 540, IIM C: 725. Options are 1.
          > 615 2. 647 3. 624 4. 635
          >
          > --
          > Thanks & Regards
          >
          > Jitesh Maharwal
          > +91 9239678001
          > +91 9804275135

        • Divik Gupta
          Message 4 of 15 , May 3, 2010
            suppose
            A does a unit work per day
            B does b unit work per day
            C does c unit wrk per day

            Total work = 15a+ 15b+15c
            Work done in 5 days= 5a+5b+5c
            Work left= 10a+10b+10c
            This work is done by B and C in 20days
            so 10a+10b+10c=20b+20c
            => a=b+c
            so total work 15(a+b+c)=15(2a)=30a

            so ans is 30 days

            On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 6:33 PM, anurag gupta <anurag.sotr@...> wrote:

[...]

          • sanjeev kumar mishra
            Message 5 of 15 , May 3, 2010
              Hello  friends,

              Let me give a clear blow to the basic  assumption.    Here  it is given that all  three A,B & C can do the work in 15  days,   so   obviously  A  alone can complete  the work  in more than 15  days,    So ,  A   can  never  complete the work  in 15 days or  in 7.5  days.

            • hemkiran.solegaonkar@nomura.com
              Message 6 of 15 , May 4, 2010

                Guys,

                (A, B and C)’s 1 days work = 1/15

                They work for 5 days together, Hence work done = 5 (days) * 1/15 (work done per day) = 1/3

                So Remaining work = 1-1/3 = 2/3

                Now after A leaves B & C complete remaining 2/3 work in 20 days

                Hence to complete (1) whole work they will take 20 * 3/2 = 30 days, Therefore (B & C)’s one day’s work = 1/30

                Now, let A takes x days to complete the work alone

                So, 1/x + 1/30 = (A, B and C)’s one day’s work = 1/15

                So x = 30

                Hence A alone takes 30 days to complete the work.

                Let me give a clear blow to the basic  assumption.    Here  it is given that all  three A,B & C can do the work in 15  days,   so   obviously  A  alone can complete  the work  in more than 15  days,    So ,  A   can  never  complete the work  in 15 days or  in 7.5  days.

                Please provide elaborated answer for the following problem so that I can refer the same approach in other questions as well....

                A,B and C can do a job in 15 days.After working with B and C for 5 days,A leaves.Then B and C finish it in 20 days more.In how many days can A do the job alone?

                Thanks in advance.
                Neelima

                This e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential, may contain proprietary or privileged information and is intended for the named recipient(s) only. Unintended recipients are prohibited from taking action on the basis of information in this e-mail and must delete all copies. Nomura will not accept responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of, or the presence of any virus or disabling code in, this e-mail. If verification is sought please request a hard copy. Any reference to the terms of executed transactions should be treated as preliminary only and subject to formal written confirmation by Nomura. Nomura reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications through its networks (in accordance with applicable laws). No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by Nomura by any mistransmission of this e-mail. Any reference to "Nomura" is a reference to any entity in the Nomura Holdings, Inc. group. Please read our Electronic Communications Legal Notice which forms part of this e-mail: http://www.Nomura.com/email_disclaimer.htm
              • luvis sam
                Message 7 of 15 , May 5, 2010
                  If all work A+B+C = 15 DAYS
                  to complete the same work with A with 5 days and B+C take 20

                  So we can equate these statements

                  A+B+C=15=5(A)+20(B+C)

                  15=5(A)+20(B+C)

                  3=A+4(B+C)

                  3=A+4(15-A)

                  3=A+60-4A

                  3=60-3A

                  1=20-A

                  A=20-1

                  A=19 days
                • pratyush ranjan
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 7, 2010
                    30 days,

                    informations that we have
                    A+B+C = 1/15
                    A left out after 5th day.
                    Work completed = 5/15 = 1/3
                    Since B & C completed rest 2/3rd of work in 20 days.
                     SO B & C can completed 1 work in 20 / (2/3) = 30 days

                    SO B & C Can do 1/30 unit of work in 1 day
                    Now  A+B+C = 1/15
                    A= 1/30 as B+C is 1/30

                    so A can complete one unit of work in 30 days.

                    CROSS CHECK:
                    A and (B&C) can complete one unit of work in 30 days.
                    so both A and (B&C) will completed 1/30 unit of work in each day.
                    so A+(B+C) = 1/30 +1/30 = 1/15
                    i.e 15 days....

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 13, 2010
                      ABC together finish in 15 days.
                      after 5 days 1/3rd work is over.
                      The remaining 2/3rd work B, C finish in 20 days.
                      So B and C together can finish the entire work in 30 days.
                      But together with A they can do in 15 days.
                      So A is as good as B and C together.
                      So A alone takes 30 days to finish the job.