Re: [2IIM CAT Prep] Help me out Guys!! (percentages)

  • sree harsha
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 2, 2010
      96% change

      (5x-x/5)/(5x)

      Warm Regards,
      J Sree Harsha

      From: the boss <keerthi_indya@...>
      To: ascent4cat@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tue, 2 March, 2010 2:49:56 PM
      Subject: [2IIM CAT Prep] Help me out Guys!! (percentages)

      Hi all,

             1.A number is mistakenly divided by 5 instead of multiplied by 5.Find the percentage
      change in result due to this mistake?
      how to calculate the percentage change from the mistaken result or the expected result?..
      gimme some ideas on this kind of sums.thank u in advance

      Regards,
      keerthivasan

    • Anand Pal (Alcatel-Lucent)
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 4, 2010
        This is wrong solution, & Solution provided by chayank is correct , he is asking for % change in results.

        On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 9:46 PM, Smita Dutta Chowdhury <smitadutta.chowdhury@...> wrote:

        hey i think it wil go as follows:
        let the no be x

        therefore x/5 instead of 5x

        (5x- x/5)/x*100
        = (25x-x)/x*100
        = 2400

        thereis another way of doing it too.

        let the no. be 100.
        as the no. shud be multiplied by 5 so 500
        but divide dby mistake so 20

        therefore
        ((500-20)/20)*100
        2400

        hope am right if not please send the correct solution

        Sent: Tue, 2 March, 2010 2:49:56 PM

        Hi all,

               1.A number is mistakenly divided by 5 instead of multiplied by 5.Find the percentage
        change in result due to this mistake?
        how to calculate the percentage change from the mistaken result or the expected result?..
        gimme some ideas on this kind of sums.thank u in advance

        Regards,
        keerthivasan

        Thanks & Regards
        Anand Pal
        Alcatel-Lucent, Gurgoan
        +919990255835
        "Laugh so hard that even sorrow smiles at you, Live life so well that even death loves to see you live, Fight so hard that even fate accepts its defeat."
      • aditya munigoti
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 4, 2010
          as many of u said ...96%change is correct according to me....consider the no.to be 5 itself
          so...if it is multiplied by 5 the result is 25....
          n if it is divided by 5 mistakenly....then the ans would b 1....so
          due to that mistake...a change of(100/25)*24==96 which is the correct answer....bt cat is language based so the options should b read carefully...n i believe every problem in cat should  b solved nly after takin a luk at the options....

        • ambarish kulkarni
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 6, 2010
            @ smitha is right accordin to me.

            It is the % change  that we hav to find.

            So the answer for that is 2400 %,accordin to me.

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 6, 2010
              sorry i wrote wrong ans 1st, although i had gt it 1st
              Acordin ot me it is 480 %.

              I feel the solution is this way

              Let th no b x.

              => % change after multiplyin by 5 = (5x-x)*100/x
              => % change aftr dividin by 5 = (x-(x/5))*100/x

              => total change = (5x-x+x-(x/5))*100/x
                                         = 480

              i hav tried d soln fr nos 20 n 30. n both satisy d ans.

              So i feel the ans is this.

              regards
              Ambarish

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 9, 2010

                hey ans shouwld be 96%..

                ifi take 100...teh it will be 20 when divided and 500 when multiplied...

                so ( (500-20)/500 )* 100 = 96%

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 11, 2010
                  To keerthi
                  can u post the correct answer or atleast the options.

                  ->I feel the % wil b greater than 100 %.
                    if a number is doubled, then there is change of 100%.
                  so here no is being multiplied 5 times ...so cange in % has to b greater than 100 for sure.

                  ambarish

                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 16, 2010
                    Hi Guys,
                    The Ans would be 96%.

                    For Example take the number as 5.

                    It should have been 5*5 = 25.

                    But mistakenly it was divided by 5, i.e 5/5 = 1.

                    SO 25 have become 1 here.

                    Change in percentage. (original value – changed value/original value)*100.

                     = (25-1)/25 * 100

                     = (24/25)*100

                    = 96 % (change in negative sense) - is percentage change (for 25 to become 1).

                    Cheers,
                    Deepan Mahendran.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 12 5:44 AM
                      the correct answer is 96%.
                      Suppose the no. is x
                      then actual result (which should come) = 5x
                      and deviated result = x/5
                      now the formulla of percentage error is : (Actual value)-(Deviated value) * 100%
                                                                                                  (Actual value)

                      hence answer is = (5x)-(x/5) *100   = (24x/5)  *100  =  24x *100  =  96%.
                                                     (5x)                   (5x)                  25x

                      --- मंगल, 16/3/10 को, deepan adhi <deepanadhi@...> ने लिखा:

                      द्वारा: deepan adhi <deepanadhi@...>
                      विषय: Re: [2IIM CAT Prep] Help me out Guys!! (percentages)
                      To: ascent4cat@yahoogroups.com
                      दिनांक: मंगलवार, 16 मार्च, 2010, 5:08 PM

                      Hi Guys,
                      The Ans would be 96%.

                      For Example take the number as 5.

                      It should have been 5*5 = 25.

                      But mistakenly it was divided by 5, i.e 5/5 = 1.

                      SO 25 have become 1 here.

                      Change in percentage. (original value – changed value/original value)*100.

                       = (25-1)/25 * 100

                       = (24/25)*100

                      = 96 % (change in negative sense) - is percentage change (for 25 to become 1).

                      Cheers,
                      Deepan Mahendran.

                             1.A number is mistakenly divided by 5 instead of multiplied by 5.Find the percentage
                      change in result due to this mistake?
                      how to calculate the percentage change from the mistaken result or the expected result?..
                      gimme some ideas on this kind of sums.thank u in advance

                      Regards,
                      keerthivasan

                    • srinivasmettureddy
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 13, 2010
                        Let me simplify it.
                        Let the number be 20x and due to the mistake mistake committed instead of 100x, 4x was obtained. the percentage change from 100x to 4x, should be w.r.t the right answer. so, the change is 96%.

                        cheers, srinivas