Re: [2IIM CAT Prep] (unknown)

  • Sushil Tripathi
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 29, 2009
      we cannot take log of negative number because log is not defined for negative numbers

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 29, 2009
      we cant definitely say whether it's possible or not...
      everything is conditional in logarithms...
      negative bases are possible only under some conditions...

      check out the attachment i've provided with in this mail...
      that'll be useful in explaining that funda...
      also,thanks for asking such a wonderful doubt...
      take care...
    • Ashish Anand
      Message 3 of 4 , Dec 30, 2009
        Hey,

        Here is my interpretation:

        When you say log x (base 10) = k
        you are effectively saying that 10^k is x. See the log graph for more clarification.

        Anyhow, if you take the negative base - not every positive number can be expressed as its power.
        Therefore, negative base is not allowed.

        Hope that helps.
        Ashish.