Re: [ascent CAT] number system

  • siddharth tallur
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 9, 2005
      Hi

      I think using the concepts of congruency and modulo will be much
      helpful here. these, as you might be knowing, help you in calculating
      these remainders in just 1 step, and there are also very powerful
      short theorems in these topics.
      in case you are not aware of these topics, you can get them in any
      standard number theory textbook. you may also refer
      http://mathworld.wolfram.com

      bye.... all the best for CAT exams!
      --
      Siddharth Tallur
      B.Tech Electrical Engineering

      --
      Siddharth Tallur
      B.Tech Electrical Engineering
      IIT Bombay
    • samir joshi
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 26, 2006
        dear friends,
                          i have a math question which is very interesting. i have been trying to get an answer but almost all  efforts went in vain , so i seek your humble assitance to get the exact answer to this question which goes as follows:
        in a particular no system the product of 44 and 11 is 1034. what is the value of 3111 in decimal system?

      • varun gupta
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 14, 2006
          it will be for base system 5 , so value of 3111= 156
          soln : (4n+4)*(n+1)=n^3+3*n+4

          On 9/26/06, samir joshi < sam_shill_143@...> wrote:

          dear friends,
                            i have a math question which is very interesting. i have been trying to get an answer but almost all  efforts went in vain , so i seek your humble assitance to get the exact answer to this question which goes as follows:
          in a particular no system the product of 44 and 11 is 1034. what is the value of 3111 in decimal system?

        • Anand Tuli
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 15, 2006
            Hi dear ,
                This can be the solution for ur problem:

                 Lets say that number syatem is based on base n.

                Notations
                number in base n= (no.)n
                nmber in base 10 = (no.)10

                (44)in base n = (4n+4) in base 10
                (11) in base n = (n+1)   in base 10
                (1034) in base n = (1.n^3 + 3.n + 4 ) in base 10.

                (4n + 4) (n+1) = (n^3 + 3.n + 4)
                4n^2 + 8n + 4 = n^3 + 3n +4

                Solving this would give
                    n = 5,0,-1

                A base can't be -ve negative and 0

                So our numbers are  in base 5.

                [3111] in base 10 = [44421] in base 5(n)

            Thanks and Regards
            Anand

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 20, 2007
              how many natural numbers less than 1700 can be expressed as the
              difference of the two perfect squares in atleast one way.
              a.)1174
              b.)1274
              c.)1374
              d.)974