RE: [ascent CAT] TDS

  • kuldeep.kumar@wipro.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 29, 2005
      hi mansi this is kuldeep here,
      here is the solution for ur problem:
      there are 2 stations 600 km apart. a train starts from first station A and moves towards B at the rate of 25km\h. after 2 hours another train from station B at hte rate of 35km\h. how far from A will they cross each other?
      sol:
            train which starts from A towards B covered 50 kms in 2 hrs as it started 2 hr earlier then the other train.
            so to meet both of these train ,these trains have to cover 550 kms with a speed of 60 kms/hr (25+35)
             so time taken is 550/60 hr.
             so in 550/60 hr train which started from B coveres (550*35)/60=320.833333 kms
             so this train at this moment is 600 - 320.833333 = 279.16667 kms
              here is the answer

      Thanks & Regards,
      KUldeep Kumar,
      Project Engineer.
      Wipro Technologies,
      Bangalore.
      Mobile: 09886632541
      Extn.: 84261

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 29, 2005
        Hi,

        In two hours the distance travelled by Train A would be 50 Kms.
        Remaining distance is 550.

        Suppose they meet at a point 'X' after some time 't'.

        then 25*t=X----1

        35*t=550-X---2.

        Solving 1 and 2 value of X = 229.166...

        then the distance from A will be 229.166 + 50 = 279.166...

        Method II:
        In two hours the distance travelled by Train A would be 50 Kms.
        Remaining distance is 550.

        Relative speeds of the trains coming in opposite directions is V1+V2 = 25+35 = 60.
        Time Taken to cross = 550/60= 55/6.

        Distance from A = (55/6)*25+50 = 279.166....

        Regards,
        Rajasekhar.N

        --
        "Life is a game; Either you win or you learn how to win"

        Yahoo! for Good

      • Akshay Gupta
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 2, 2005
          Hey Mansi,
          Here is the explaination for ur query on TDS:-

          In the 2 hours before train B leaves - train A already covers 50 kms - @25kmph.
          Now, when train B leaves, the distance left to be covered amongst them is 550
          kms. (600 - 50 ) Their relative speed for this time would be 25 + 35 =
          60kmph . So now to cover 550 kms at that speed will take 9.16 hrs. Multiply
          this with 25 kmph to get the distance travelled by train A - after train B
          left station B. That will come out to be 229 kms. Add 50 kms (the initial
          distance travelled by train A) to this and VOILA you have 279 kms. Hope you
          understand..If not...do mail back and ask..

          Akshay

          This mail was sent using www.uwc.net mail.
        • sathya narayanan
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 3, 2005
            hi lemme get to the soltuion
            at the instant they meet A has travelled for t hrs say
            B then for t-2 hrs so use

            25t+35(t-2)=600
            solve for t you get 279.166

            good luck

          • ghans laddha
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005

                sol for train que
              as for this for first two hour the first train move 50 km now remaining distance is 550. since both train r movin towards each other so relative speed is 25+35=60km/h
              so time to meet other is 550/60
              and distance from st A = 50+(550/60)*25=279.166

            • deepak goel
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 6, 2005
                hi ankur

                srry but i am not convinced with the approach you have taken to solve the race problem bcoz the place where you have written

                11 km for A = 9 Km for B

                here it is rounds and not the distance either take 8 rounds instead of 2 km or go on with km that is 11 rounds=2.75 km and 9 rounds=2.25 kms

                Hence the solution you have put up here for mansi is not correct I supppse .

                For any problem in my explanation ,revert back to me.