Re: [ascent CAT] English usage of word Larger/More/Greater

  • kuldip khatri
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2005
      Hi All,

      I am wondering if anyone know about the better choice
      to use among Larger/More and Greater example

      "The amount (or quantity) of salt used in the stew
      receipe is greater(not more!!!) than that used in the
      soup receipe"

      Why can't we use more???

      Thanks and Regards,
      Kuldip

      --- CAT 2005 Preparation - Ascent Education

      http://questions.ascenteducation.com/iim_cat_mba_free_sample_questions_math_quant/geometry/geometry_equations_of_lines_042905.shtml

    • anupam.chaudhury@wipro.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 13, 2005
        Hi !
        I guess When u use "amount" comparative should be" greater" and when u use "quantity" , it should be "more"...
        So what I mean is "greater amount"
        "more quantity"....

        Thanks & Regards,
        ~Anupam Chaudhury
        E&PE (Automotive Electronics)
        WIPRO TECHNOLOGIES
        Ph (O) :+91-80-25502001 X:3117 È 09448754390

        <cat@...> wrote:
        > Hi
        >

        > The question for the day is a geometry question.
        >

        > Question
        >

        > The equation of four lines is given below:
        >
        > x + 2y - 3 = 0, 3x + 4y - 7 = 0, 2x + 3y - 4 = 0
        > and 4x + 5y - 6 = 0
        >

        > These four lines are
        >
        > (1) Concurrent
        >
        > (2) The sides of a parallelogram
        >
        > (3) The sides of a square
        >
        > (4) None of these
        >

        > Correct Answer and Explanation

        http://questions.ascenteducation.com/iim_cat_mba_free_sample_questions_math_quant/geometry/geometry_equations_of_lines_042905.shtml

        > Best wishes
        >

        > K S Baskar
        >
        > Ascent Education - CAT XAT Entrance Test Preparation

        > Ascent's Upcoming Courses
        >
        > Ascent's Weekend CAT Classes @ Adyar, Chennai
        > The next weekend batch starts on Saturday, May 7,
        > 2005 at Adyar, Chennai. Registrations are on. Batch
        > size 30 students. Faculty IIM Graduates. Click on
        > the link above for further details.
        >
        > Ascent CAT Correspondence Course
        > Comprehensive course material with 30 full length tests.

        Ascent Education
        An IIM Alumni Venture
        Class for CAT, XAT, GRE, GMAT
        http://www.ascenteducation.com