Re: [ascent CAT] how to crack-DI?

  • venkatesh m
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2005

        Hello Rose

      Can any one tell me how to do better in DI papers?

      DI or Data Interprtation requires one to hadle with graphs, pie charts & tables.

      Believe or not it is one among the easier sections to crack

      Because : The Easy & Difficult questions can be easily detected in very less time , so you can easily eliminate the difficult questions & start cracking the easier one's

      >Here intially to get familiarise with the pattern .Practise as many Sets of Graphs & Tables available i the coaching materials so that you a feel of it.

      > The short cut maths is undoubtedly an advantage to pace with the time. Here Vedic Maths comes really handy.

      > "Apperance are deceptive" among each and every graph there will be certainly some questions which might take less than 30sec to crack.

      For eg: a question may come

      which company has higher turnover a,b,c,or none

      Here you might have to just glance at the picture and arrive to the answer and no calculations would be required and certainly one answer has to be the answer.

      If you could crack 4-6 questions in 2 minutes. Then you save a huge time plus solid 4-6 marks you gain upon others.

      > Beware: Questions haing options like a)7.5 b) 7 c)8.5d)8 have to be avoided since the main motive behind the CAT paper is check your decision making as a manager and remember questions you leave is as important as questions you attempt.

      what is the usual ???cut off?

      The usual cutoff varies between 15 -- 25 a 20+ is certainly a good score.

      Also what is the best approach in cat- ie some tells me that
      concentrating on ones strong areas always pays.. is that right?

      Best Approach would be to keep the DI section as the last section to attempt. After few SIMCAT you would certainly have some ideas about the questions to be classified

      you can classify questions in 3 broad heads:

      a) "A type" in this category falls questions which are easy and takes less. The must be answered ones.

      b) "B type" in this category falls questions which are easy but lenghty which generally takes one whole minute or more than minute to crack buteasy involving some calculations.

      c) "C Type" in this category falls questions which are difficult & time consuming.

      So when you get to DI Section take 5 minutes to identify "A type questions " & "B type" queswtions. In the first round attempt the "A type" and next move onto "B type" and finally leave out the "C type" ones.

      Remember : Here in this section DI you have your answers hidden in the table or graphs and all you have to do is to find it.

      So Ain't it easy ???

      All the Best

      Bye

      Do you Yahoo!?