[Ascension] Old Cipher Machine [fwd]

  • billstew@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2000
      Dear Friends,

      Has anyone heard of the Apparatus Secratype, later renamed the
      Apparatus 5UCO?

      This was an on-line cipher device for five unit code, which I invented
      in 1943, and which was developed for the Army by the Signals Research
      and development Establishment.
      In my opinion, they made very heavy weather of the development, and
      completely ignored the views of the inventor! Nevertheless 300 machines
      were built; it was used by the Army and, I believe briefly by other
      services, at the commencement of the Cold War. Advances in technology
      soon rendered it obsolete.

      I am now a man of 84, retired far away in the island of Madeira and
      should greatly welcome any news of my first brain-child. I am
      particularly
      anxious to see the working instructions issued with this machine.

      For 30 years I have been trying to get a copy out of the War Office
      Signals Directorate, but this was always refused - the document was
      still classified, 30 years after the equipment was withdrawn from
      service! The fact that I was the inventor and a retired Army Officer
      made no difference whatever!

      All Government Agencies impede useful activities by being
      over-secretive about minor matters, while enemy agents seem to acquire
      any vital information that they need without very much difficulty.

      Any information about this machine would be most welcome

      --
      With best wishes from
      Guy Bellairs ERD FIEE C.Eng

      I regret that my fax. facilities are out of order at present.

      // To send mail to the list: BletchleyPark@... //
      // To (un)subscribe: Majordomo@... //
      // To reach a human: BletchleyPark-Approval@... //
      // Archive: http://www.FindMail.com/listsaver/bletchleypark/ //