9Discussion notes for "Weaving Fabric"

  • jessequilts
    Jun 3, 2011
      Three of our members got together last evening to share our study of weaving fabrics from Fabric Embellishing The Basics & Beyond. Some notes from our discussion follow:

      1) The question of fusing fabrics before cutting and weaving vs. stablizing the piece with fusible after weaving was discussed. Both Beth S. and Kay S. did some circle weaving, and both recommend fusing the fabrics before cutting. Both found too much stretch in the strips to make the resulting piece turn out accurately. Kay went with the stretch, and added a batik square behind the circles since the strips were hard to control. Her piece has a free-form look.

      2) Rather than placing the fabrics face down, weaving from the wrong side, and then applying stabilizer or fusible, Beth placed the fusible on a pressing surface right side up. She then completed the weaving on top of that, with fabrics right side up. And finally she pressed to adhere the piece to the stablizer. This makes it easier to see what the weaving looks like as you work, and allows better accuracy in aligning strips at the corners.

      3) Refer to the photos: Beth used a gradated fabric to achieve a range of color on one of her pieces. She also replicated a pieced red and white antique quilt that had been shown in an exhibit at the American Folk Art Museum in NYC recently. However, she used the weaving method from this study to make her piece. Kay's satin and hand-dyed flannel piece turned free-form due to the stretching caused by the satin fabric. She recommends fusing before weaving, esp. when working with circles. Beth also showed a "faux-woven" piece. She stamped the blue checkerboard background using paint. The flowers are appliqued, and the color variation is created with fabric paints.