The biochemistry of Sudarshan Kriya!

  • mona ingale
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2 9:18 AM
      The biochemistry of Sudarshan Kriya!
      Posted by: "harshal jadhav" harshalpjadhav@...
      harshalpjadhav
      Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:33 am (PST)
      Serving the Humanity Since 1982
      The biochemistry
      of
      Sudarshan Kriya

      by Dr Manoj Jain is an infectious disease physician
      working in Memphis (US) & Indore (MP)

      If we reduce the number of oxygen radicals, we improve
      the antioxidant status in our body and live longer

      Ever wonder what causes us to age resulting in death
      of our body cells over the years, develop heart
      disease leading to plaque in the artery, or suffer
      from cancer causing cells to mutate and grow
      erratically? The answer may be simpler than we think.

      Some researchers say the common denominator in all
      these conditions is the antioxidant status — the level
      of chemical process that takes place in our cells and
      genes. Like we measure our cholesterol level,
      researchers argue, we can measure our antioxidant
      status and determine how vulnerable we are to
      diseases.

      In a pilot study, biochemists at All India Institute
      of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) studied the effect of
      Sudarshan Kriya on the antioxidant status of
      individuals. Sudarshan Kriya is a well known rhythmic
      breathing technique promoted by the Art of Living
      workshops.

      It is preceded by Ujjayi Pranayam or long and deep
      breaths with constriction at the base of throat and
      Bhastrika or fast and forceful breaths through the
      nose along with arm movements.

      Before we talk about their findings, let’s step back
      into our biochemistry class and understand what
      antioxidant status means. According to the
      free-radical theory, the cells in our body are being
      constantly damaged and destroyed by oxygen radicals,
      similar to what dirt and rust do to our cars. Oxygen
      radicals are different from oxygen gas in that they
      are molecules that are highly charged and detrimental
      byproducts of cell reactions.

      Our body has an antioxidant defense system that
      constantly searches and destroys these oxygen
      radicals, much like our immune system, which polices
      our body for foreign agents such as bacteria and
      viruses and eliminates them. If the antioxidant
      defense system of our body is weak, then the number of
      oxygen radicals increases, causing our cells to die
      quickly. This results in inflammation and plaque
      within our heart vessels or prompts the cells to
      mutate into cancer cells. If we reduce the number of
      oxygen radicals, we improve the antioxidant status in
      our body, and we live longer and lead a disease free
      life.

      It is important that we try to reduce the level of
      oxygen radicals and strengthen our defense system. We
      can increase our antioxidant levels through our diet.
      A healthy diet of vegetable and fruit increases our
      intake of important antioxidants such as Vitamins A,
      C, E, and beta carotene. Some initial studies have
      shown the benefit of higher antioxidants in our diet,
      but larger studies have not detected the benefit — so
      the jury is still out. Smoking, alcohol and chronic
      psycho-social problems like work and family pressures,
      can increase oxidative stress. This stress affects our
      complex molecules and genes. Yoga and meditation can
      relieve this stress. Will Sudarshan Kriya have a
      similar effect?

      A team lead by Dr Neeta Singh and Dr Vinod
      Kochupillai, former chief of IRCH and Head of Medical
      Oncology at IRCH ( Institute rotary cancer hospital )
      at AIIMS, tested the blood of 42 persons who were
      practicing Sudarshan Kriya for over 1 year and
      compared it with the blood of 42 healthy individuals
      who were not practicing any form of physical exercise
      or stress management techniques. What the researchers
      found was thought provoking.
      Clearly, the cellular activity between the two groups
      was different.

      The Kriya practitioners had a better antioxidant
      status at the enzyme and the gene level. Also they had
      less DNA damage and cell aging. It is difficult to
      know if this change will lead to longer life span,
      decrease rates of cancer, or lessen heart disease, but
      “we should practice some type of breathing technique
      once a day to reduce stress,” said Dr Neeta Singh, who
      herself does it twice everyday.

      Though biochemical science and spirituality may seem
      miles apart, it is heartening to see ancient practices
      and modern science converging in man’s endeavour to
      live a richer and healthier life.

      Source : Times Of India - Pune dtd. 24 Feb.’ 08 in
      Section - Mind Over Matter on page no. 18.

      Today ‘s Sutra : Hankering Postpones Perfection
      Our hankering is always for what we don't have, and
      there will be always something that we do not have. So
      your hankering continues on, and postpones your
      perfection.

      Humari chaah hamesha ousi ki hoti hai jo humare paas
      nahin hai, aur hamesha hi aisa kuch hota hai jo humare
      paas nahin hota. Isiliye tumhari chaah chalti rahti
      hai, aur tumhari poornta ko talti rahti hai.
      Sri Sri ……

      Jai Gurudev !!!

      Be a better friend, newshound, and