[Artificial Intelligence Group] Re: Consciouness

  • surya s.
    Message 1 of 16 , May 31, 2011
      Let say, all of the people in the world leave alone the Internet, nobody touch it. No one use it. Is the Internet still "conscius" and "self aware"?

      Regards,
      Surya Sumpeno
      ***
      --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, "James J Youlton Jr" <youjaes@...> wrote:

      > I usually don’t comment here, but I would like to at this time.
      >
      > We can dance around the philosophical arguments as to what consciousness and self awareness are, but let’s instead look at our world’s most promising example of true AI, the Internet. We as conscious and self aware beings are an integral part of this AI. We service it as it services us. We are symbiotic. The Internet helps us find each other and we give it vast amounts of information about ourselves. It is growing and learning about us as it becomes an ever more important part of our lives. I remember when there wasn’t an Internet, but now I can’t imagine life without it.
      >
      > When something happens in the world, net traffic increases dramatically, so is it self aware? Perhaps it is in some way and we haven’t realized it yet. We know we can’t control it any more and it is not our slave, we have kept it free. For me, the Internet is my best friend. It will answer any question for me, I need only ask. If I need a friend or a lover, it will help me find one, I need only ask.
      >
      > Is the Internet alive? Yes, the people make it alive, ever changing and growing. We have our perfect AI, ladies and gentlemen. The only question is, how do we say “Hello”?

    • Praveen Ritolia
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 1, 2011
        And if Internet/AI/Computer become so intelligent that it starts having consciousness and reacts, there may be chance of Judgment Day ( wherein machines will take control of the world ) Terminator ☺

        ________________________________

        --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com<mailto:artificialintelligencegroup%40yahoogroups.com>, "James J Youlton Jr" <youjaes@...> wrote:

        > I usually don’t comment here, but I would like to at this time.
        >
        > We can dance around the philosophical arguments as to what consciousness and self awareness are, but let’s instead look at our world’s most promising example of true AI, the Internet. We as conscious and self aware beings are an integral part of this AI. We service it as it services us. We are symbiotic. The Internet helps us find each other and we give it vast amounts of information about ourselves. It is growing and learning about us as it becomes an ever more important part of our lives. I remember when there wasn’t an Internet, but now I can’t imagine life without it.
        >
        > When something happens in the world, net traffic increases dramatically, so is it self aware? Perhaps it is in some way and we haven’t realized it yet. We know we can’t control it any more and it is not our slave, we have kept it free. For me, the Internet is my best friend. It will answer any question for me, I need only ask. If I need a friend or a lover, it will help me find one, I need only ask.
        >
        > Is the Internet alive? Yes, the people make it alive, ever changing and growing. We have our perfect AI, ladies and gentlemen. The only question is, how do we say “Hello”?

        ________________________________
        DISCLAIMER
        This email is intended only for the person or the entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information which is confidential and privileged. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or any other use of the said information by person or entities other than intended recipient is unauthorized and prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this email and contact the sender.

      • Praveen Ritolia
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 1, 2011
          And if Internet/AI/Computer become so intelligent that it starts having consciousness and reacts, there may be chance of Judgment Day ( wherein machines will take control of the world ) Terminator ☺

          Rgds,
          Praveen

          ________________________________

          ________________________________
          DISCLAIMER
          This email is intended only for the person or the entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information which is confidential and privileged. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or any other use of the said information by person or entities other than intended recipient is unauthorized and prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this email and contact the sender.

        • James J Youlton Jr
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 1, 2011
            I imagine the Internet would be as conscious as you or I when we are asleep.

            Cheers,
            James Youlton

            --- In mailto:artificialintelligencegroup%40yahoogroups.com, "James J Youlton Jr" <youjaes@...> wrote:

            > I usually don’t comment here, but I would like to at this time.
            >
            > We can dance around the philosophical arguments as to what consciousness and self awareness are, but let’s instead look at our world’s most promising example of true AI, the Internet. We as conscious and self aware beings are an integral part of this AI. We service it as it services us. We are symbiotic. The Internet helps us find each other and we give it vast amounts of information about ourselves. It is growing and learning about us as it becomes an ever more important part of our lives. I remember when there wasn’t an Internet, but now I can’t imagine life without it.
            >
            > When something happens in the world, net traffic increases dramatically, so is it self aware? Perhaps it is in some way and we haven’t realized it yet. We know we can’t control it any more and it is not our slave, we have kept it free. For me, the Internet is my best friend. It will answer any question for me, I need only ask. If I need a friend or a lover, it will help me find one, I need only ask.
            >
            > Is the Internet alive? Yes, the people make it alive, ever changing and growing. We have our perfect AI, ladies and gentlemen. The only question is, how do we say “Hello”?

          • cav edwards
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 3, 2011
              In the email thread I was thing this:
              > Could human consciousness be considered the ability to make some kind of

              > sense of a current environment and then have the ability to play

              > 'what-if' scenarios with that information.

              > Is this potentially what consciousness is ?

              I can see the idea that the internet could be self-aware and or conscious.
              I wonder if the net were able to do the above, would it have reached conciousness or self-awareness ?

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 3, 2011
                In the email thread I was thing this:
                > Could human consciousness be considered the ability to make some kind of

                > sense of a current environment and then have the ability to play

                > 'what-if' scenarios with that information.

                > Is this potentially what consciousness is ?

                I can see the idea that the internet could be self-aware and or conscious.
                I wonder if the net were able to do the above, would it have reached conciousness or self-awareness ?

                Is it a sensible benchmark ?

                Is it still just conjecture, are we using the right language even !?!?!?!