Re: Mass Delusion

  • G. Fredrick Nowatzke
    Message 1 of 63 , Nov 14, 2008
      Scott,

      I don't know about understanding Dick and Jane, but advanced AI
      systems now have the ability to preform better than almost all humans
      in terms of short term trading in certain investment area like Forex.

      Jerry

      --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, Scott
      <bigmagumba@...> wrote:

      > I'm not sure what you're trying to communicate.
      >
      > Artificial intelligence is an "evolving" science.  Perhaps it will
      achieve human-level intelligence in 50 years, perhaps it won't.
      Perhaps it will be something all together different.

      > As you imply ... absolutes are less abundant than gray areas of
      reality (and perhaps gray matter).  So, it's riskier to say we
      absolutely "will" have human-level AI in 50 years.  On the other
      hand, it's perhaps just as risky to say to suggest that we
      absolutely "won't" have it in 50 years.

      > My opinion is that as long as it's "evolving" and has real world
      applications ... that's good!  That's beneficial!  And I strongly
      suspect that its status 50 years forward will be something much
      different than we imagine today.

      > In any event, it's always a good thing to give thought to thought!
      >
      > Scott

    • oscarthelenet
      Message 63 of 63 , Feb 26, 2009
        I ve seen mistakes in your writing. you are mentioning that the dog
        has a much better advantage compared to the best "computer" but thats
        the point. Artificial intelligence is not about counting. or following
        directions. You say that the computers follow codes, yes they do, they
        are computers, you have mentioned that a 6 month old baby can
        recognize many patterns and understand them. Thats also true. but you
        should also note that the signals, neurons are codes too... what gives
        them meaning is the ability to develop and categorize them. to make
        connections between ideas. Its not impossible. people thought many
        things to be impossible. and face recognition might take that much
        time and it still wouldnt be efficient enough. but thats a program.
        and if you think about the history of computers they are advancing
        really fast.. its only 50 years from a newborn baby computer to beat
        worlds best chess player Kasparov. its still programming but given
        enough effort and time artificial intelligence is possible. you have
        given the title of mass delusion to your writing, but you shouldnt
        confuse a program with an intelligent being... You should read the
        books of Isaac Asimov it doesnt give you the answer for how it will be
        done but it makes you understand what means to be intelligent. If you
        have watched matrix before there is a dialogue between Agent Smith and
        Morpheus, and it says that humans are not mammals but viruses. moving
        from one source to another source until there is none left.. and if
        people cant find another alternative or a cure to continiue their
        survival process they will surely be creating their own apocalypse. I
        can see 2 scenarios for future: Artificial intelligence or Space
        terraforming. I doubt that it will be good for humans if they can
        achieve real A.I but it seems that its a way for intelligent life to
        continiue. I am also doubtful about if humanity can achieve creating
        another intelligent being, but if it will be done it will surely
        change the process that is called history. Do something for survival.
        you are mentioning about the fear of death. the survival instinct. but
        on the bigger picture humans are like frogs. it takes time for them to
        connect dots (Al Gore) if humans cant survive let the machines do.
        well for one last point. I mentioned that the A.I will rebel or
        destroy humans. but if they wont (optimistic) it will get over with
        the problem of manpower. there (perhaps) will no more be a need for
        stratification (at least not as it is today) they would probably be
        the tireless workers in the good scenario. you should excuse me for my
        bad organsation. i should find a cure for this disorganised way of
        thinking.