AI topics

  • Yared Negussie
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2008
      Hi

      I am just starting my graduate school studies in Computer information Systems with concentration on Information security. Although this is only my first quarter, I would like to start exploring topics for thesis. As under grad, I was very much interested in AI as such, I am interested my thesis to deal with topics related to AI and information security. Can anyone provide me with resources that point to such topics?

      I would really appreciate the help.

      Thank you very much

      Yared

    • Bart van Delft
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2008
        Hi Yared,

        I happen to have just started a master in Computer Security after
        (almost) finishing a bachelor in AI. The overlapping areas of interest
        are mainly to be sought in biometrics and machine learning.

        When it comes to combining AI and computer security, it is almost
        always about classifiers. Classifying normal mail from spam, normal
        traffic from hack-attacks, normal transactions from fraudulent ones
        etc. etc. AI offers several techniques such as neural networks, kMeans
        and other classifiers that can be used in these areas. Also in
        biometrics classifiers are used to identify/authenticate persons (as
        well as other techniques applied in the field of AI such as
        eigenVectors etc.)

        As for my own bachelor (=undergraduate) thesis I wrote about my
        attempts to lift a theoretical attack on an AI classifier to a
        realistic setting, as described in Barreno et al:
        http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~tygar/papers/Machine_Learning_Security/asiaccs06.pdf
        (this paper can also serve as a basis for topics if you'd like to)

        If you want to I can also send you my (yet not completely finished)
        bachelor thesis on this attack.

        Regards,

        Bart

        --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, "Yared Negussie"
        <ynegussie@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I am just starting my graduate school studies in Computer
        information Systems with concentration on Information security.
        Although this is only my first quarter, I would like to start
        exploring topics for thesis. As under grad, I was very much
        interested in AI as such, I am interested my thesis to deal with
        topics related to AI and information security. Can anyone provide me
        with resources that point to such topics?

        > I would really appreciate the help.
        >

        > Thank you very much
        >
        > Yared

      • Rafael C.P.
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2008
          I can't think of anything specific because security is not my area, but
          something I know you can search for are neural networks for network
          intrusion detection and for fraud detection in credit card / bank systems.

          =======[ Rafael C.P. ]=======
          http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~rcpinto
          http://kuramalab.blogspot.com
          http://netfighters.org
          ========================

          On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 4:02 PM, Yared Negussie <ynegussie@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > I am just starting my graduate school studies in Computer information
          > Systems with concentration on Information security. Although this is only my
          > first quarter, I would like to start exploring topics for thesis. As under
          > grad, I was very much interested in AI as such, I am interested my thesis to
          > deal with topics related to AI and information security. Can anyone provide
          > me with resources that point to such topics?
          >
          > I would really appreciate the help.
          >
          > Thank you very much
          >
          > Yared

        • Ankit Dangi
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 7, 2008
            http://www.aaai.org/AITopics/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/AITopics/HomePage

            http://www.captcha.net/captcha_crypt.pdf

            <ynegussie@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > I am just starting my graduate school studies in Computer
            information Systems with concentration on Information security.
            Although this is only my first quarter, I would like to start
            exploring topics for thesis. As under grad, I was very much
            interested in AI as such, I am interested my thesis to deal with
            topics related to AI and information security. Can anyone provide me
            with resources that point to such topics?

            > I would really appreciate the help.
            >

            > Thank you very much
            >
            > Yared

          • Yared Negussie
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 8, 2008
              Hi

              Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I am exploring each with great interest; however, my advisor thinks I should go with 'thesis class' I suppose there is some project there, instead of a thesis itself. I am online student, which seems to complicate things...
              Yared