Language of a fly proves surprising

  • Ronald C. Blue
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10 7:41 AM
      While precise timing is important I believe it is only important to maintain

      a holographic data projection which is referenced by other analysis circuits.

      It is similar to the up dated image on a standard TV.

      Analysis circuits would see the image. They would respond and interpret it in different ways.

      I believe the Thalamus would be the main projection area, but I doubt it would be the only one.

      Language of a fly proves surprising

      PhysOrg.com, Mar. 8, 2008

      Los Alamos, Princeton University, and Indiana University research fundamentally alters earlier beliefs about how neural networks function and could provide the basis for intelligent computers that mimic biological processes.

      The researchers developed a novel way to view the world through the eyes of a common fly and partially decode the insect's reactions to changes in the world around it.

      They used electrodes to tap into motion-sensitive neurons in the visual system. The team harnessed the wired fly into an elaborate turntable-like mechanism that mimics the kind of acrobatic flight a fly might undergo while evading a predator or chasing another fly. The mechanism can spin extremely fast and change velocities quickly. A fly in the mechanism sees changes in the world around it and its motion-sensitive neurons react much in the same way as they would if the insect were actually flying.

      Under complex flight scenarios, the fly's neurons fired very quickly. The researchers looked at the firing patterns and mapped them with a binary code of ones and zeroes. The motion-sensitive neurons emitted spikes very often and very precisely, contradicting earlier research findings that the precise timing of the impulses was largely irrelevant.

      The research is significant because it re-examines fundamental assumptions that became the basis of neuromimetic approaches to artificial intelligence, such as artificial neural networks. These assumptions have developed networks based on reacting to a number of impulses within a given time period rather than the precise timing of those impulses.

      New understanding of neural function in the design of computers could assist in analyses of satellite images and facial-pattern recognition in high-security environments, and could help solve other national and global security problems.

    • Bondhan Novandy
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 19 8:47 PM
        Hi pix,

        After you apply this scheme to your kid, please update the result to us :)

        Bondhan

        ~Don't have kids and wife yet

      • John G. Rose
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 27 11:52 AM
          Actually I have to get this on film - my 20 month old boy speaks few words
          but can browse the internet quite well. There are many really good websites
          nowadays that teach kids to read and many are free. And to watch him browse
          through these sites is hilarious. When he gets stuck he starts hitting keys
          and clicking randomly till he figures out how to get going again. Naturally
          he doesn't get near my computer as it has gotten messed up badly within
          seconds due to the rapid clicking, mouse dragging and key hitting.

          My other son is 6 and can read and write quite well and he learned many
          words and numbers the same way. The internet is just amazing for this stuff.
          I put the 6 year old in front of Adobe Illustrator and he immediately
          started cranking away at it. I think it is just a matter of exposure, that's
          all...

          John