Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Why AI Fails

Expand Messages
  • bnewbnewb
    Why AI R&D Fails All software developers are Research and Development (R&D) professionals. There are 2 kinds of R&D, Basic R&D and Technology R&D. Technology
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 5, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      Why AI R&D Fails

      All software developers are Research and Development (R&D) professionals.
      There are 2 kinds of R&D, Basic R&D and Technology R&D.
      Technology R&D takes 6 months to 6 years. An example of Technology R&D
      is inventing the next generation gun.
      Basic R&D takes 20 to 30 years. An example of Basic R&D is the
      invention of gunpowder.
      Nearly all computer scientists fall into the Technology R&D category
      because nearly all software is based on previous software generations
      and functionality.

      Specific-purpose AI falls into the Technology R&D category because it
      is based on standard functionality such as neural networks, decision
      trees, case-based reasoning, fuzzy-logic, expert system rules, and
      other known AI related data structures. An example of
      specific-purpose AI is offering a menu of cable TV packages that best
      matches all the TV show categories that the customer checkbox-selected
      on a webpage.

      General-purpose AI falls into the Basic R&D category because no
      computer model has been created that accurately duplicates all the
      functionality of the human brain. An example of general-purpose AI is
      natural language input and the computer understands what you mean from
      the many ways of describing it, and then knows what action to perform
      and can explain why.

      General-purpose AI has been fantasized in books and movies such as
      "Metropolis" (1925), "2001 - A Space Odyssey" (1968), and "Star Wars"
      (1976), but to date no one has achieved these fictional goals for real.

      Marvin Minsky, the head of the AI department at MIT, is interested in
      general-purpose AI and discusses the failure of achieving
      general-purpose AI in a March-2007 podcast. The link can be found at
      www.slashdot.org.


      http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197700609
    • Ronald C. Blue
      I would argue that general-purpose AI was accomplished in 1997, but no one was interested. Why because it was based on interference wavelet memory and memory
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 5, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        I would argue that general-purpose AI was accomplished in 1997, but no one
        was interested.

        Why because it was based on interference wavelet memory and memory was not
        local or digital, nor
        was the machine of that era controlable. It controlled itself. The
        technology was so simple at that time
        that anyone with a little knowledge could build one, not an appealing flaw
        to investors.

        http://u2ai.us/little%20ricci.WMV


        http://u2ai.us/ricci.htm



        >>>>>>>>>
        General-purpose AI has been fantasized in books and movies such as
        "Metropolis" (1925), "2001 - A Space Odyssey" (1968), and "Star Wars"
        (1976), but to date no one has achieved these fictional goals for real.

        Marvin Minsky, the head of the AI department at MIT, is interested in
        general-purpose AI and discusses the failure of achieving
        general-purpose AI in a March-2007 podcast. The link can be found at
        www.slashdot.org.

        http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197700609
      • paris_o_o
        You say that anyone could build one and then not an appealing flaw for investors . But then these links to your own ugly HTML websites refer to TRADEMARKED
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 8, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          You say that "anyone could build one" and then "not an appealing flaw
          for investors".

          But then these links to your own ugly HTML websites refer to
          TRADEMARKED hardware like the Tri0logic System (TM) and the CORE (TM)
          processor.

          Where are the scientific publications of this Ricci agent and where
          are the publications describing these alleged quantum computers that
          are "trademarked"??


          --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald C. Blue"
          <ronblue@...> wrote:
          >
          >
          > I would argue that general-purpose AI was accomplished in 1997, but
          no one
          > was interested.
          >
          > Why because it was based on interference wavelet memory and memory
          was not
          > local or digital, nor
          > was the machine of that era controlable. It controlled itself. The
          > technology was so simple at that time
          > that anyone with a little knowledge could build one, not an
          appealing flaw
          > to investors.
          >
          > http://u2ai.us/little%20ricci.WMV
          >
          >
          > http://u2ai.us/ricci.htm
          >
          >
          >
          > >>>>>>>>>
          > General-purpose AI has been fantasized in books and movies such as
          > "Metropolis" (1925), "2001 - A Space Odyssey" (1968), and "Star Wars"
          > (1976), but to date no one has achieved these fictional goals for real.
          >
          > Marvin Minsky, the head of the AI department at MIT, is interested in
          > general-purpose AI and discusses the failure of achieving
          > general-purpose AI in a March-2007 podcast. The link can be found at
          > www.slashdot.org.
          >
          >
          http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197700609
          >
        • paris_o_o
          ... We are going for the human brain are we? Since when? Could we at least get a squirrel brain first? Do you have any idea how much the military would pay
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 8, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, "bnewbnewb"
            <bnewbnewb@...> wrote:
            >
            > Why AI R&D Fails
            > General-purpose AI falls into the Basic R&D category because no
            > computer model has been created that accurately duplicates all the
            > functionality of the human brain. An example of general-purpose AI is
            > natural language input and the computer understands what you mean from
            > the many ways of describing it, and then knows what action to perform
            > and can explain why.


            We are going for the human brain are we? Since when? Could we at
            least get a squirrel brain first?

            Do you have any idea how much the military would pay for a robot that
            has the acrobatics and navigational grace of a squirrel?? Are you
            aware that there is not a supercomputer in existence that can navigate
            a robot with the kind of coordination seen in a squirrel.

            The military is currently working on DARPA vehicles. And really they
            aren't even doing that. They are outsourcing it to universities and
            academics. DARPA cars have no memories, they cannot learn, and on top
            of that, they are corrected now and then by feed-in from a GPS system.
            The GPS "cheat" is the only reason they don't get totally lost.

            Any of these old-school AI researchers like Minsky, et al, who think
            they are going to achieve the human brain without having to simulate
            the brain of much simpler mammals are just totally lost. I can't
            even take them seriously anymore.
          • G Harris
            Here is the slashdot link, from 2007: Marvin Minsky On AI
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 9, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              Here is the slashdot link, from 2007:
              Marvin Minsky On
              AI<http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/02/0133231>
              (http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/02/0133231)


              On Sat, Jan 5, 2008 at 11:42 PM, bnewbnewb <bnewbnewb@...> wrote:

              > Marvin Minsky, the head of the AI department at MIT, is interested in
              > general-purpose AI and discusses the failure of achieving
              > general-purpose AI in a March-2007 podcast. The link can be found at
              > www.slashdot.org.
              >
              > http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197700609
              >
              >


              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • fenris_23
              Just my two cents. But this argument against strong AI always seems, to me at least, to fall into the logical fallacy of argument from ignorance. You are
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 23, 2008
              • 0 Attachment
                Just my two cents. But this argument against strong AI always seems,
                to me at least, to fall into the logical fallacy of argument from
                ignorance. You are basically stating that since (1) we have been
                unable to develop strong AI and (2) it seems so impossibly difficult,
                then therefore it must be impossible. However, there is no physical
                law or impediment to emergent phenomenon to prohibit such an
                intelligence to exist. The fact that we have not ourselves built
                strong AI does not imply that strong AI is impossible or "fails".
                Indeed the pursuit of strong AI has driven massive advanced in various
                fields from neuroscience, cognitive science, and even geopolitical
                strategy.

                It is kind of pointless to throw around opinions regarding the
                ultimate feasibility of strong AI, or the relative merits between weak
                and strong AI. Everything has its place.

                But you can't prove something can't exist because you have not ever
                seen it. That is the black swan fallacy.


                --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, "bnewbnewb"
                <bnewbnewb@...> wrote:
                >
                > Why AI R&D Fails
                >
                > All software developers are Research and Development (R&D)
                professionals.
                > There are 2 kinds of R&D, Basic R&D and Technology R&D.
                > Technology R&D takes 6 months to 6 years. An example of Technology R&D
                > is inventing the next generation gun.
                > Basic R&D takes 20 to 30 years. An example of Basic R&D is the
                > invention of gunpowder.
                > Nearly all computer scientists fall into the Technology R&D category
                > because nearly all software is based on previous software generations
                > and functionality.
                >
                > Specific-purpose AI falls into the Technology R&D category because it
                > is based on standard functionality such as neural networks, decision
                > trees, case-based reasoning, fuzzy-logic, expert system rules, and
                > other known AI related data structures. An example of
                > specific-purpose AI is offering a menu of cable TV packages that best
                > matches all the TV show categories that the customer checkbox-selected
                > on a webpage.
                >
                > General-purpose AI falls into the Basic R&D category because no
                > computer model has been created that accurately duplicates all the
                > functionality of the human brain. An example of general-purpose AI is
                > natural language input and the computer understands what you mean from
                > the many ways of describing it, and then knows what action to perform
                > and can explain why.
                >
                > General-purpose AI has been fantasized in books and movies such as
                > "Metropolis" (1925), "2001 - A Space Odyssey" (1968), and "Star Wars"
                > (1976), but to date no one has achieved these fictional goals for real.
                >
                > Marvin Minsky, the head of the AI department at MIT, is interested in
                > general-purpose AI and discusses the failure of achieving
                > general-purpose AI in a March-2007 podcast. The link can be found at
                > www.slashdot.org.
                >
                >
                >
                http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197700609
                >
              • bnewbnewb
                ... Note to fenris_23. You missed the point of my blog. It is not an argument against strong AI. It is an argument that AI R&D has been looking in the wrong
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 23 9:34 PM
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, fenris_23
                  Note to fenris_23.
                  You missed the point of my blog.
                  It is not an argument against strong AI.
                  It is an argument that AI R&D has been looking in the wrong direction.
                  This is consistent with the views of Marvin Minsky.

                  My view is this:

                  No general-purpose AI exists.

                  Why?
                  Not because general-purpose AI is impossible,
                  but because general-purpose AI requires Basic R&D,
                  and almost all AI developers are driven by Technology R&D.

                  Marvin Minsky suggests in his 2008 pod-cast that less than 10 scientists in the United States are working on general-purpose AI.

                  Computer science has failed to produce general-purpose AI because nearly all AI developers seek special-purpose application goals and models and not general-purpose AI models.

                  This is like trying to invent the gun before inventing gun powder.

                  This is why after 50+ years of AI R&D we have yet to produce a practical general-purpose AI.

                  This is why AI R&D fails.


                  <no_reply@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Just my two cents. But this argument against strong AI always seems,
                  > to me at least, to fall into the logical fallacy of argument from
                  > ignorance. You are basically stating that since (1) we have been
                  > unable to develop strong AI and (2) it seems so impossibly difficult,
                  > then therefore it must be impossible. However, there is no physical
                  > law or impediment to emergent phenomenon to prohibit such an
                  > intelligence to exist. The fact that we have not ourselves built
                  > strong AI does not imply that strong AI is impossible or "fails".
                  > Indeed the pursuit of strong AI has driven massive advanced in various
                  > fields from neuroscience, cognitive science, and even geopolitical
                  > strategy.
                  >
                  > It is kind of pointless to throw around opinions regarding the
                  > ultimate feasibility of strong AI, or the relative merits between weak
                  > and strong AI. Everything has its place.
                  >
                  > But you can't prove something can't exist because you have not ever
                  > seen it. That is the black swan fallacy.
                  >
                  >
                  > --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, "bnewbnewb"
                  > <bnewbnewb@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Why AI R&D Fails
                  > >
                  > > All software developers are Research and Development (R&D)
                  > professionals.
                  > > There are 2 kinds of R&D, Basic R&D and Technology R&D.
                  > > Technology R&D takes 6 months to 6 years. An example of Technology R&D
                  > > is inventing the next generation gun.
                  > > Basic R&D takes 20 to 30 years. An example of Basic R&D is the
                  > > invention of gunpowder.
                  > > Nearly all computer scientists fall into the Technology R&D category
                  > > because nearly all software is based on previous software generations
                  > > and functionality.
                  > >
                  > > Specific-purpose AI falls into the Technology R&D category because it
                  > > is based on standard functionality such as neural networks, decision
                  > > trees, case-based reasoning, fuzzy-logic, expert system rules, and
                  > > other known AI related data structures. An example of
                  > > specific-purpose AI is offering a menu of cable TV packages that best
                  > > matches all the TV show categories that the customer checkbox-selected
                  > > on a webpage.
                  > >
                  > > General-purpose AI falls into the Basic R&D category because no
                  > > computer model has been created that accurately duplicates all the
                  > > functionality of the human brain. An example of general-purpose AI is
                  > > natural language input and the computer understands what you mean from
                  > > the many ways of describing it, and then knows what action to perform
                  > > and can explain why.
                  > >
                  > > General-purpose AI has been fantasized in books and movies such as
                  > > "Metropolis" (1925), "2001 - A Space Odyssey" (1968), and "Star Wars"
                  > > (1976), but to date no one has achieved these fictional goals for real.
                  > >
                  > > Marvin Minsky, the head of the AI department at MIT, is interested in
                  > > general-purpose AI and discusses the failure of achieving
                  > > general-purpose AI in a March-2007 podcast. The link can be found at
                  > > www.slashdot.org.
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  > http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197700609
                  > >
                  >
                • bnewbnewb
                  Note to G Harris. Thank you for the direct pod-cast link in your reply. Your contribution is appreciated.
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 23 9:35 PM
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Note to G Harris.
                    Thank you for the direct pod-cast link in your reply.
                    Your contribution is appreciated.


                    --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, "G Harris" <george4321@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Here is the slashdot link, from 2007:
                    > Marvin Minsky On
                    > AI<http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/02/0133231>
                    > (http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/02/0133231)
                    >
                    >
                    > On Sat, Jan 5, 2008 at 11:42 PM, bnewbnewb <bnewbnewb@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Marvin Minsky, the head of the AI department at MIT, is interested in
                    > > general-purpose AI and discusses the failure of achieving
                    > > general-purpose AI in a March-2007 podcast. The link can be found at
                    > > www.slashdot.org.
                    > >
                    > > http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197700609
                    > >
                    > >
                    >
                    >
                    > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    >
                  • bnewbnewb
                    Note to Ronald C. Blue. Thank you for including the links to support your counter-argument statement. I found that the Ricci robot brain is an associative
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 23 9:37 PM
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Note to Ronald C. Blue.
                      Thank you for including the links to support your counter-argument statement. I found that the Ricci robot brain is an associative memory. By definition in my original blog this is another form of standard functionality, hence specific-purpose AI. I enjoyed watching the video though.



                      --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald C. Blue" <ronblue@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >
                      > I would argue that general-purpose AI was accomplished in 1997, but no one
                      > was interested.
                      >
                      > Why because it was based on interference wavelet memory and memory was not
                      > local or digital, nor
                      > was the machine of that era controlable. It controlled itself. The
                      > technology was so simple at that time
                      > that anyone with a little knowledge could build one, not an appealing flaw
                      > to investors.
                      >
                      > http://u2ai.us/little%20ricci.WMV
                      >
                      >
                      > http://u2ai.us/ricci.htm
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > >>>>>>>>>
                      > General-purpose AI has been fantasized in books and movies such as
                      > "Metropolis" (1925), "2001 - A Space Odyssey" (1968), and "Star Wars"
                      > (1976), but to date no one has achieved these fictional goals for real.
                      >
                      > Marvin Minsky, the head of the AI department at MIT, is interested in
                      > general-purpose AI and discusses the failure of achieving
                      > general-purpose AI in a March-2007 podcast. The link can be found at
                      > www.slashdot.org.
                      >
                      > http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197700609
                      >
                    • ashish sachdeva
                      otherway round also.. AI is based on facts without emotions coz neural n/w speaks about being intricate in such of form.. but has not recieved any success i
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 23 9:44 PM
                      • 0 Attachment
                        otherway round also.. AI is based on facts without emotions coz neural n/w speaks about being intricate in such of form.. but has not recieved any success i feel personally feel untill and unless it won't work on such issues... it will not be a success.





                        God never comes himself but he comes in form of someone who just make it easy for u but u never know what he has done for u & when u comes to know it's too late!!!!!!!!!
                        ************************************************************************************************************

                        Er.Ashish Sachdeva

                        Secretary student council
                         EECE. Deptt. CCET,,
                        SEC 26,Chandigarh
                        Mob.+91(0)9464544538

                        --- On Wed, 24/6/09, bnewbnewb <bnewbnewb@...> wrote:


                        From: bnewbnewb <bnewbnewb@...>
                        Subject: Re: [Artificial Intelligence Group] Why AI Fails
                        To: artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Wednesday, 24 June, 2009, 10:07 AM








                        Note to Ronald C. Blue.
                        Thank you for including the links to support your counter-argument statement. I found that the Ricci robot brain is an associative memory. By definition in my original blog this is another form of standard functionality, hence specific-purpose AI. I enjoyed watching the video though.

                        --- In artificialintellige ncegroup@ yahoogroups. com, "Ronald C. Blue" <ronblue@... > wrote:
                        >
                        >
                        > I would argue that general-purpose AI was accomplished in 1997, but no one
                        > was interested.
                        >
                        > Why because it was based on interference wavelet memory and memory was not
                        > local or digital, nor
                        > was the machine of that era controlable. It controlled itself. The
                        > technology was so simple at that time
                        > that anyone with a little knowledge could build one, not an appealing flaw
                        > to investors.
                        >
                        > http://u2ai. us/little% 20ricci.WMV
                        >
                        >
                        > http://u2ai. us/ricci. htm
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        > >>>>>>>>>
                        > General-purpose AI has been fantasized in books and movies such as
                        > "Metropolis" (1925), "2001 - A Space Odyssey" (1968), and "Star Wars"
                        > (1976), but to date no one has achieved these fictional goals for real.
                        >
                        > Marvin Minsky, the head of the AI department at MIT, is interested in
                        > general-purpose AI and discusses the failure of achieving
                        > general-purpose AI in a March-2007 podcast. The link can be found at
                        > www.slashdot. org.
                        >
                        > http://www.informat ionweek.com/ news/showArticle .jhtml?articleID =197700609
                        >

















                        ICC World Twenty20 England '09 exclusively on YAHOO! CRICKET http://cricket.yahoo.com

                        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                      • Ronald C. Blue
                        Try this one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko4yri9riJ8 Discussion on Little Blue ... From: bnewbnewb To: artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com Sent:
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 23 10:00 PM
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Try this one...

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko4yri9riJ8

                          Discussion on Little Blue


                          ----- Original Message -----
                          From: bnewbnewb
                          To: artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com
                          Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:37 AM
                          Subject: Re: [Artificial Intelligence Group] Why AI Fails





                          Note to Ronald C. Blue.
                          Thank you for including the links to support your counter-argument statement. I found that the Ricci robot brain is an associative memory. By definition in my original blog this is another form of standard functionality, hence specific-purpose AI. I enjoyed watching the video though.

                          --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald C. Blue" <ronblue@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >
                          > I would argue that general-purpose AI was accomplished in 1997, but no one
                          > was interested.
                          >
                          > Why because it was based on interference wavelet memory and memory was not
                          > local or digital, nor
                          > was the machine of that era controlable. It controlled itself. The
                          > technology was so simple at that time
                          > that anyone with a little knowledge could build one, not an appealing flaw
                          > to investors.
                          >
                          > http://u2ai.us/little%20ricci.WMV
                          >
                          >
                          > http://u2ai.us/ricci.htm
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          > >>>>>>>>>
                          > General-purpose AI has been fantasized in books and movies such as
                          > "Metropolis" (1925), "2001 - A Space Odyssey" (1968), and "Star Wars"
                          > (1976), but to date no one has achieved these fictional goals for real.
                          >
                          > Marvin Minsky, the head of the AI department at MIT, is interested in
                          > general-purpose AI and discusses the failure of achieving
                          > general-purpose AI in a March-2007 podcast. The link can be found at
                          > www.slashdot.org.
                          >
                          > http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197700609
                          >





                          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                        • Ronald C. Blue
                          Also this one - panassociative opponent process memory for the Little Blue -1 AGI machine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjaqLaHGj64 ... From: Ronald C. Blue
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 23 10:25 PM
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Also this one - panassociative opponent process memory for the Little Blue -1 AGI machine.

                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjaqLaHGj64



                            ----- Original Message -----
                            From: Ronald C. Blue
                            To: artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com
                            Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:00 AM
                            Subject: Re: [Artificial Intelligence Group] Why AI Fails


                            Try this one...

                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko4yri9riJ8

                            Discussion on Little Blue


                            ----- Original Message -----
                            From: bnewbnewb
                            To: artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com
                            Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:37 AM
                            Subject: Re: [Artificial Intelligence Group] Why AI Fails





                            Note to Ronald C. Blue.
                            Thank you for including the links to support your counter-argument statement. I found that the Ricci robot brain is an associative memory. By definition in my original blog this is another form of standard functionality, hence specific-purpose AI. I enjoyed watching the video though.

                            --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald C. Blue" <ronblue@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >
                            > I would argue that general-purpose AI was accomplished in 1997, but no one
                            > was interested.
                            >
                            > Why because it was based on interference wavelet memory and memory was not
                            > local or digital, nor
                            > was the machine of that era controlable. It controlled itself. The
                            > technology was so simple at that time
                            > that anyone with a little knowledge could build one, not an appealing flaw
                            > to investors.
                            >
                            > http://u2ai.us/little%20ricci.WMV
                            >
                            >
                            > http://u2ai.us/ricci.htm
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            > >>>>>>>>>
                            > General-purpose AI has been fantasized in books and movies such as
                            > "Metropolis" (1925), "2001 - A Space Odyssey" (1968), and "Star Wars"
                            > (1976), but to date no one has achieved these fictional goals for real.
                            >
                            > Marvin Minsky, the head of the AI department at MIT, is interested in
                            > general-purpose AI and discusses the failure of achieving
                            > general-purpose AI in a March-2007 podcast. The link can be found at
                            > www.slashdot.org.
                            >
                            > http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197700609
                            >





                            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                          • siriusss@aim.com
                            Quote nor was the machine of that era controllable. It controlled itself. The ... Bingo! One of the problems with AI programs of the 90s was that the
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 24 6:07 AM
                            • 0 Attachment
                              Quote

                              "nor was the machine of that era controllable. It controlled itself. The


                              > technology was so simple at that time

                              > that anyone with a little knowledge could build one, not an appealing flaw

                              > to investors."

                              Bingo! One of the problems with AI programs of the 90s was that the program? funding was almost exclusively military. The military? realized toward the end? that it did not want an AI that controlled itself. Especially one that anyone could build.

                              But if the machine is easily buildable why can't each person make one? using their own? DNA based? chip? set and "step" into it at death?

                              siriusss




                              -----Original Message-----
                              From: bnewbnewb <bnewbnewb@...>
                              To: artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com
                              Sent: Tue, Jun 23, 2009 9:37 pm
                              Subject: Re: [Artificial Intelligence Group] Why AI Fails































                              --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald C. Blue" <ronblue@...> wrote:

                              >

                              >

                              > I would argue that general-purpose AI was accomplished in 1997, but no one

                              > was interested.

                              >

                              > Why because it was based on interference wavelet memory and memory was not

                              > local or digital, nor

                              > was the machine of that era controlable. It controlled itself. The

                              > technology was so simple at that time

                              > that anyone with a little knowledge could build one, not an appealing flaw

                              > to investors.

                              >

                              > http://u2ai.us/little%20ricci.WMV

                              >

                              >

                              > http://u2ai.us/ricci.htm

                              >

                              >

                              >

                              > >>>>>>>>>

                              > General-purpose AI has been fantasized in books and movies such as

                              > "Metropolis" (1925), "2001 - A Space Odyssey" (1968), and "Star Wars"

                              > (1976), but to date no one has achieved these fictional goals for real.

                              >

                              > Marvin Minsky, the head of the AI department at MIT, is interested in

                              > general-purpose AI and discusses the failure of achieving

                              > general-purpose AI in a March-2007 podcast. The link can be found at

                              > www.slashdot.org.

                              >

                              > http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197700609

                              >


























                              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                            • Ronald C. Blue
                              Bingo! One of the problems with AI programs of the 90s was that the program? funding was almost exclusively military. The military? realized toward the end?
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 24 11:09 AM
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Bingo! One of the problems with AI programs of the 90s was that the program?
                                funding was almost exclusively military. The military? realized toward the
                                end? that it did not want an AI that controlled itself. Especially one that
                                anyone could build.

                                But if the machine is easily buildable why can't each person make one? using
                                their own? DNA based? chip? set and "step" into it at death?

                                siriusss

                                >>>>>>>>>>>>>
                                Actually DARPA want a general intelligence machine.. See
                                http://www.darpa.mil/dso/solicitations/sn09-35.htm
                              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.