Outline of Genetic Algorithm

  • gaya79
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2007
      Hi,

      I came across with this outline from this website:
      http://www.cs.unibo.it/~babaoglu/courses/cas/resources/tutorials/ga/ga
      intro.html

      1. [Start] Generate random population of n chromosomes (suitable
      solutions for the problem)
      2. [Fitness] Evaluate the fitness f(x) of each chromosome x in the
      population
      3. [New population] Create a new population by repeating following
      steps until the new population is complete
      a.[Selection] Select two parent chromosomes from a population
      according to their fitness (the better fitness, the bigger chance to
      be selected)
      b.[Crossover] With a crossover probability cross over the parents
      to form new offspring (children). If no crossover was performed,
      offspring is the exact copy of parents.
      c.[Mutation] With a mutation probability mutate new offspring at
      each locus (position in chromosome).
      d.[Accepting] Place new offspring in the new population
      4.[Replace] Use new generated population for a further run of the
      algorithm
      5.[Test] If the end condition is satisfied, stop, and return the best
      solution in current population
      6.[Loop] Go to step 2

      I have a question.
      a) Is it possible to have the [Test] done after [Fitness]? I don't
      understand why we need to test after applying the genetic operators.
      Isnt the fitness value have been assigned earlier? So the [Test]
      should be done right after the [Fitness].

      Any comments?

      Regards,
      Gaya