Hi everyone your consideration is required

  • ali_skeptical
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
      Hi am new to the group and am computer science student but i am much
      interested in AI so can anyone give some good piece of suggestion and
      what are the requirements (academically / knowledge wise) in AI.

      Thx
    • Dimitrios Thanassas
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2007
        --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, "ali_skeptical"
        <ali_skeptical@...> wrote:

        > Hi am new to the group and am computer science student but i am much
        > interested in AI so can anyone give some good piece of suggestion
        and
        > what are the requirements (academically / knowledge wise) in AI.
        >
        > Thx

        You could do theoretical AI (neural networks, mathematical
        logic/reasoning, computability, complexity, cognitive models etc.) or
        you could do applied AI (knowledge-based systems, computer vision,
        natural language, robotics, etc.).

        There are no hard and fast rules. AI is a vast field, so let your
        heart show you the way. Get a couple of "Introduction to AI" books,
        acquire an overview of all AI fields, and see where your
        heart "ticks": that's the direction you should follow.

        Also, check your own capabilities. Do you like building things that do
        something? Then do applied AI and go build an expert system. Do you
        like abstract thinking and fundamendals? Then do theoretical AI and go
        create a theory of human reasoning. However, bear in mind that you
        can't do theory without having an application in mind, and you can't
        do applied AI without having a sound theoretical basis. AI is a
        peculiar field: you have to love it in order to do it. SO, LET YOUR
        HEART SHOW YOU THE WAY...
      • ali_skeptical
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2007
          --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dimitrios
          Thanassas" <d.thanassas@...> wrote:

          > --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, "ali_skeptical"
          > <ali_skeptical@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi am new to the group and am computer science student but i am
          much
          > > interested in AI so can anyone give some good piece of suggestion
          > and
          > > what are the requirements (academically / knowledge wise) in AI.
          > >
          > > Thx
          > >
          > You could do theoretical AI (neural networks, mathematical
          > logic/reasoning, computability, complexity, cognitive models etc.)
          or
          > you could do applied AI (knowledge-based systems, computer vision,
          > natural language, robotics, etc.).
          >
          > There are no hard and fast rules. AI is a vast field, so let your
          > heart show you the way. Get a couple of "Introduction to AI" books,
          > acquire an overview of all AI fields, and see where your
          > heart "ticks": that's the direction you should follow.
          >
          > Also, check your own capabilities. Do you like building things that
          do
          > something? Then do applied AI and go build an expert system. Do you
          > like abstract thinking and fundamendals? Then do theoretical AI and
          go
          > create a theory of human reasoning. However, bear in mind that you
          > can't do theory without having an application in mind, and you
          can't
          > do applied AI without having a sound theoretical basis. AI is a
          > peculiar field: you have to love it in order to do it. SO, LET YOUR
          > HEART SHOW YOU THE WAY...

          Thx d.thanassas
          it really helps, although i have collected a lot of scholarly
          articles and some introductory books on it but still i am not making
          anything out of it, i am good in C++ and C#, and assembly language, i
          have very good knowledge of Software Engineering and Database
          systems, as for the operating system is concerned i have very good
          theoretical knowledge about it,.... .
          But my own inclination is towards "theoretical AI" so can you suggest
          me more please. Like if i go towards cognitive models then what would
          be possibilities.
          kindly would you expalin this " AI is a peculiar field ".
          I hope you will be guiding me in future.
          Thx very much.

          Skeptical
        • Dimitrios Thanassas
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2007
            <ali_skeptical@...> wrote:

            > --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dimitrios
            > Thanassas" <d.thanassas@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In
            artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, "ali_skeptical"
            > > <ali_skeptical@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi am new to the group and am computer science student but i
            am
            > much
            > > > interested in AI so can anyone give some good piece of
            suggestion
            > > and
            > > > what are the requirements (academically / knowledge wise) in
            AI.

            > > > Thx
            > > >
            > > You could do theoretical AI (neural networks, mathematical
            > > logic/reasoning, computability, complexity, cognitive models
            etc.)
            > or
            > > you could do applied AI (knowledge-based systems, computer
            vision,
            > > natural language, robotics, etc.).
            > >
            > > There are no hard and fast rules. AI is a vast field, so let
            your
            > > heart show you the way. Get a couple of "Introduction to AI"
            books,
            > > acquire an overview of all AI fields, and see where your
            > > heart "ticks": that's the direction you should follow.
            > >
            > > Also, check your own capabilities. Do you like building things
            that
            > do
            > > something? Then do applied AI and go build an expert system. Do
            you
            > > like abstract thinking and fundamendals? Then do theoretical AI
            and
            > go
            > > create a theory of human reasoning. However, bear in mind that
            you
            > > can't do theory without having an application in mind, and you
            > can't
            > > do applied AI without having a sound theoretical basis. AI is a
            > > peculiar field: you have to love it in order to do it. SO, LET
            YOUR
            > > HEART SHOW YOU THE WAY...
            > >

            > Thx d.thanassas
            > it really helps, although i have collected a lot of scholarly
            > articles and some introductory books on it but still i am not
            making
            > anything out of it, i am good in C++ and C#, and assembly
            language, i
            > have very good knowledge of Software Engineering and Database
            > systems, as for the operating system is concerned i have very good
            > theoretical knowledge about it,.... .
            > But my own inclination is towards "theoretical AI" so can you
            suggest
            > me more please. Like if i go towards cognitive models then what
            would
            > be possibilities.
            > kindly would you expalin this " AI is a peculiar field ".
            > I hope you will be guiding me in future.
            > Thx very much.
            >
            > Skeptical

            "AI is a peculiar field". You want to know why? Because AI scholars
            try to answer fundamental questions. Attempting to define
            Intelligence is the quest for the Ultimate Intelligence, and the
            Ultimate Being. AI is probably the only Computer Science field which
            legitimizes such questions like "does God exist?", or "can we create
            artificial life forms?" etc.

            During my early AI days, I also had a good Software Engineering and
            Databases backgroung. I soon realised that, from my perspective,
            there is no point doing theoretical research unless you pulge right
            into the study of fundamentals. How does our brain work? Can we
            model it's behaviour? Can we reproduce it?

            That's why AI is peculiar: unless you are ready to embark on a quest
            for the fundamentals, don't do theoretical AI.

            Furthermore, you need to clarify your lifelong ambitions. Why are
            you doing computer science? Do you aim for an academic job or a
            position in the industry? What drives you? Money? Power? Seeking the
            truth? Stretching your capabilities to the extremes? Contribution?
            Seeking the unknown?

            Theoretical AI is extremely fascinating. But you will encounter
            heavy mathematics. Are you comfortable with that? On the other hand,
            programming experience will come quite handy in applied AI.
            Ultimately which of the two really "thrills your backbone": (1) "I
            would like to discover how the brain works" OR (2) "I would like to
            build a knowledge-based decision support system that will help
            companies make better decisions". (1) is theory, (2) is applied.

            Cognitive science involves mathematical logic, cognitive psychology,
            neural networks, genetic algorithms, complexity theory etc. The list
            is endless. So is the quest. If you are an undergraduate student,
            then you need a "detailed overview" of all these fields (your local
            academic bookshop will have tons of books on these subjects). If you
            are working towards a Masters degree or a Ph.D, then you need to put
            forward ONE fundamental question/problem, and then try to build a
            sound original theory (i.e. a theory which has no internal
            contradictions, is novel, explains your data, predicts, and is open
            to refutation i.e. CAN be proven wrong) which answers that
            question/problem.

            Whatever you do and, before you start producing original work, read,
            read, read. And have faith. If the ultimate goal (the "fundamental
            question") thrills you, you will find the guts/energy to read one
            more book, keep your eyes open during late night studying, not give
            up when trying to make sense of "that guy's incomprehensible maths".

            Whatever you do, if it thrills you, NEVER GIVE UP. Bear in mind what
            president Nixon once said: "A man is not finished when he is
            defeated. He is finished when he quits".

            HAVE FUN WITH IT!
          • oregon_bry
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 6, 2007
              Dimitrios,

              What a great post!

              --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dimitrios
              Thanassas" <d.thanassas@...> wrote:
              > . . .
              > "AI is a peculiar field". You want to know why? Because AI scholars
              > try to answer fundamental questions. Attempting to define
              > . . .
              > Whatever you do and, before you start producing original work,
              read,
              > read, read. And have faith. If the ultimate goal (the "fundamental
              > question") thrills you, you will find the guts/energy to read one
              > more book, keep your eyes open during late night studying, not give
              > up when trying to make sense of "that guy's incomprehensible maths".
              >
              > Whatever you do, if it thrills you, NEVER GIVE UP. Bear in mind
              what
              > president Nixon once said: "A man is not finished when he is
              > defeated. He is finished when he quits".
              >
              > HAVE FUN WITH IT!

            • Rui Costa
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 6, 2007
                I agree!