Re: ...self learning is a necessary...

  • jonkanderson
    Message 1 of 1398 , Jul 17, 1999
      Thanks for all of the
      documentation that<br>> the first phase involved the
      hard-coding of facts,<br>> but there was also to be a
      second phase where the<br>> system would be learning
      the rest by itself. I<br>> don't know however how
      far or what exactly they<br>> are doing in this
      If you mean, however, reacting appropriately
      to<br>> various situations / events, then, why not,
      working toward a solid definition of<br>intelligence is
      as useless now as it was for past<br>philosophers.
      The interesting thing is how we<br>understand it.
      Mihailo's tic-tac-toe god is<br>intelligent in its world
      because it is suited to<br>that world. As further
      explained, learning then<br>becomes important in our world
      because of the<br>complexity of our world.
      number<br>> of those "rules" embedded into the object<br>>
      itself which is impossible considering the<br>>
      complexity of the world.<br><br>I think that one of the
      challenges in making a<br>knowledge-based system which works
      well is that its<br>world is sufficiently narrowed so
      that it can remain<br>an expert in a very specific
      field and not get lost<br>in our large world. (My
      calculator is still an<br>expert at math that I can't do in
      be a reasonable place to start<br>> laying down
      ground rules to the "child mind".<br>> Wouldn't you
      think so??<br><br>In my mind, the trouble is picking
      the right ground<br>rules. Is gravity a force, or a
      constant<br>acceleration. Maybe its a curvature of space. Maybe<br>it is
      simply the tendency for things to go down. I<br>know a
      9-month old who doesn't know how to speak,<br>but he does
      communicate and he learns a lot. Being<br>suited for his
      world is not a matter of knowing<br>about the best
      definition of gravity, but about<br>learning how gravity
      seems to cause the floor to<br>hurt his face when he
      tries to walk. Right now, he<br>is not an expert to
      consult on anything, but given<br>some years, he very
      well might be. The knowledge<br>that is innate to him
      seems to be the ability to<br>learn and interact with
      his world as well as the<br>desire to communicate, to
      survive, and to explore.<br><br>Thanks again for
      me if I misrepresented anyone's<br>ideas.
      Message 1398 of 1398 , Aug 19, 2005