Re: [Artificial Intelligence Group] ROBOTICS

  • Paul F. Grayson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2006
      Sarthak Dash,

      Yes, AI is finding important uses in every field.

      The basis of any robotic system is positive and negative feed back.

      The best example I have seen of negative feed back was at a gift store. A
      small black plastic project box with a single toggle switch on it. No
      label. People inevitably were drawn throw the switch. A tiny motor would
      start running inside, the lid would open slowly and a tiny plastic doll hand
      would reach out and throw the switch back to the off position, retract
      suddenly and the lid would slam shut.
      -- Welcome to robotics.

      PS. I am looking for talented volunteers who would like to work on the
      worlds most advanced robotic vehicle that we are preparing for the DARPA
      Urban Challenge. If you have any spare time and would like the resume
      bullet point, contact me.

      GO ROBOTS !
      Embroidered team jacket patches are available for $5 each, get one today!
      Team bumper stickers with our "Racing to build technology that saves
      soldier's lives." slogan, $2 each.

      Paul F. Grayson - Chief Engineer
      AMERICAN INDUSTRIAL MAGIC, LLC
      Racing to build technology that saves soldier's lives.
      390 4 Mile Road S.
      Traverse City, MI 49686-8411
      (231) 946-0187
      (231) 883-4463 cell
      pgrayson@...
      http://aimagic.org

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2006

        This is the basis for brain/mind as well - expressed in the dichotomy of
        differentiating(positive)/integrating(negative) commonly labelled in
        neurosciences as WHAT/WHERE.

        The parallel dynamics is best seen in such concepts as mathematics sequences
        - e.g. Fibonacci - where the positive is in the syntax and so precise
        ordering of numbers in the sequence, and the negative is in the oscillation
        of the ratio of pairs of the sequence as we get closer and closer to 1.618

        Precision is in the tightening of the 'spiral' that comes out of these
        sequences as the numbers get 'bigger'.

        If we treat the sequences as markers of considering past contexts to
        influence current 'meaning' then the fib pattern gives us a gentle growth
        spiral.

        Considering two past context moments (regardless of scale) will give a
        Fibonacci sequence. Considering ALL past contexts will give a binary
        sequence and so our gentle spiral becomes a square spiral reflecting the
        A/NOT-A nature of binary 'thinking' and so dichotomy usage.

        Dichotomies come in the form of an asymmetric form that contains the
        symmetric and the anti-symmetric. Meaning is derived from the asymmetric
        dichotomy through self-referencing - it gives a set of qualities usable to
        communicate notions of whole, part, static relationship, dynamic
        relationship.

        Mathematics contains these qualities in the form of the basic types of
        numbers:

        Whole - whole numbers
        Part - rational numbers
        Static (share space) - irrational
        Dynamic (share time) - imaginary

        From these we create composite forms of real, complex, quaternions,
        octonions.

        IOW from basic issues of feedback aka differentiating/integrating comes the
        roots of language ;-) (add to that the qualitative bounding of the number
        line through the concepts of positive/negative and we have a mathematics
        that works inwards to map 'out there'.

        All of this is indicative of self-referencing at work in the derivation of
        meaning where that referencing is rooted in differentiating/integrating aka
        positive/negative feedback dynamics.

        Chris.