Neural Net for Satellite Control

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5 4:42 PM
      Hi group,
      I hope all your projects are going well. Here is an update on
      InterPlanetary Ventures.

      Our primary project is the IVCOMM satellite prototypes, for
      communications relay from space probes to our earth station. The
      prototypes are using the CubeSat format, a standard format for
      student and amateur built pico-satellites. The requirements for the
      relay satellites, which have been dubbed Parrot Class satellites,
      are;
      1. two way communications between the ground and orbit
      telemetry, comm. relay, command & control
      2. two way communications between two spacecraft
      forward data (realtime relay), telemetry
      3. maintain orbit, control orientation
      4. take and xmit pictures ,Wide Angle and Telephoto,
      Normal Light and Infrared photos
      5. LIDAR (Light Detecting and Ranging ) to detect
      close and approaching objects.

      We have chosen a different method for control of the satellites.
      These units will be built as space birds, with a basic pattern
      recognition neural network for operator authorization and manual
      control functions, and a hardwired decision network for application
      control. and Normal operations mode will follow this logic:

      1. Maintain orientation to receive signal from space probe,
      received signals are rebroadcast automatically to other relay
      satellites and to ground, also operate Lidar based proximity sensor
      to detect close and approaching objects,
      2. If Prox. Alarm, adjust attitude and/or use thrusters to
      change orbit and avoid collision, then return to mode 1
      3. If auth. command for photo app, change orientation to
      aim camera at target and xmit photos to ground station for default
      time, or until stop signal received, then return to mode 1.
      4. If low battery signal received, orient for best sunlight
      on solar panels, then place all modules in sleep mode until
      batteries are recharged, then return to normal operations mode 1.

      This design allows for autonomous operations of the satellites, and
      makes little or no use of microprocessors or memory. Final plans
      and a working model of the Parrot class satellite will be completed
      over the next 2 months. Any thougts in the design of the neural
      nets for this project will be greatly appreciated!

      Our second working project is the balloon lifted aerosat, named
      Asgard. Asgard will be used to demonstrate satellite applications,
      command and control during the IV Space Academy events. This unit
      will be based on the CANSAT. The aerosats will be created in
      cooperation with JP Aerospace, who will also provide a high altitude
      testing platform for the IVCOMM test model.

      Anyone interested in participating in either of these projects can
      Kevin