Re: [Artificial Intelligence Group] Re: military

  • andrew grider
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 24, 2006
      I know but i dont dwell on it because time has its courses and humans are apart of this earth and well always be here till we blow the planet up.

      robertsmrtn <RobertsMrtn@...> wrote: Sadly, considerable resources will go into military applications.
      Probably producing intelligent robots able to operate unaided on the
      battle field. I say sadly because if there is one thing which has the
      highest probability of destroying us as a species it is nuclear war. I
      hope that by about 1035 computers will have become so intelligent that
      they realise this and decide to take our weapons away from us.

      Computer science college Computer science distance learning Computer science Artificial intelligence software Artificial intelligence in business Artificial intelligence and expert system

    • gzabers
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 8, 2006
        DARPA (the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) funds a lot of
        artificial intelligence research in universities... you might
        recognize the name from the DARPA Grand Challenge, the recent
        competition in which several computer-controlled cars drove themselves
        across the desert. Of course, being part of the Department of
        Defense, everything they fund has some sort of military spin or
        application. Even the Cyc project has a large sub-ontology explicitly
        for military stuff, which I wouldn't doubt has something to do with
        some military funding. So I would say yes, A.I. in the military can
        be expected to get better faster than in a lot of other research areas.

        --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, "alexblevine"