Regarding universities offering AI

  • malugu_satyajit
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 22, 2005
      Hello every one,

      This is Satyajit from 4/4 cse from India. Now I am planning to go for
      majors in USA. I am in the process of applying for universities, but
      things are not at all encouraging. There are no universiteis which
      offer you majors in AI, if some did I could not get any funding, and
      some uni like Berkely are too high for me.

      Could any one tell me universities which have MS program exclusively
      for AI. From then I would try my luck with direct correspondence with
      the university.

      Also I want to know about the job offers in AI. Till date I haven't
      found a single company asking for/ emphasizing AI. So if I take up AI,
      do I need to confirm to only research/ teaching? How lucrative is that?

      I am dearth of information, so please help me
      M.Satyajit
    • Alan Grimes
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 22, 2005
        > Could any one tell me universities which have MS program exclusively
        > for AI. From then I would try my luck with direct correspondence with
        > the university.

        MIT claims to have an AI program but it sucks. It is truly pathetic, it
        teaches you techniques that have been around since the '70s and never
        worked.

        --
        Friends don't let friends use GCC 3.4.4
        GCC 3.3.6 produces code that's twice as fast on x86!

        http://users.rcn.com/alangrimes/
      • Mea D Catterren
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 22, 2005
          The University of Oregon is actually suppose to have a
          program for AI. Something to check out if your
          interested. I don't know anyone who has gone through
          it or attended it so I couldn't tell you for sure if
          it's at all benificial, but it's an avenue to look at.

          http://cirl.uoregon.edu/

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • tvprasad2002
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 22, 2005
            Dear Satyajit,

            The Central University (University of Hyderabad) offers M.Tech. in AI,
            and there is a separate programme for Robotics. I do not know the
            exact status, but this is the only University in India that offers
            specialized courses since over last 10-12 years. I am told the job
            opportunities are excellent and that there is funding also.
            Corporates pick the students right in the first year and fund them
            with additional scholarships. It is up to you as might be aspiring to
            do MS in US only.

            T. V. Prasad
            Dy. Director (IT Services)
            Bureau of Indian Standards
            New Delhi 110 002
          • malugu_satyajit
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 23, 2005
              Hi, thanks for the information, I have studied the whole thing and it
              was perfect for me in many ways. I am indebted to you. But only thing
              is nagging me, CIRL is only for PhD students, not MS. And I not pretty
              sure now whether to take Phd or not. They do take MS but no funding
              chances for them, but in the general MS they are offerring AI as any
              other university does:-(
              But anyways thanks for the info.

              --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, Mea D Catterren