NEW - AI in math education

  • baybora8088
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2005
      How could we use AI to help math education, especially algebra?

      I am dissappointed in the fact that US is somewhere between 15 and 20
      in the ranking of school math proficiency in the world.

      It seems to me that the quality of teaching has a lot to do with it,
      along other things. Though there has been attempts in offering digital
      math help and tutoring, I have not seen anything that really is
      engaging and delivers proven results. For the last couple of months I
      have tested a few of them.

      I have two school age children, and I am going through the pains myself.

      Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

      Ahmet
    • logicman_alf
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2005
        --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, "baybora8088"
        <takeaction@c...> wrote:
        > How could we use AI to help math education, especially algebra?
        >
        > I am dissappointed in the fact that US is somewhere between 15 and
        20
        > in the ranking of school math proficiency in the world.
        >
        > It seems to me that the quality of teaching has a lot to do with
        it,
        > along other things. Though there has been attempts in offering
        digital
        > math help and tutoring, I have not seen anything that really is
        > engaging and delivers proven results. For the last couple of
        months I
        > have tested a few of them.
        >
        > I have two school age children, and I am going through the pains
        myself.

        > Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.
        >
        > Ahmet

        Hi!

        "School age" means different things in different countries. I am
        in the UK where "school age" is about 6 to 16 years.

        What age group are you aiming at?

        I may not respond to any new message for about a week, but I will
        definitely try to respond.

        Cheers

        Patrick
      • Ahmet Alpdemir
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 14, 2005
          Good question. We typically start algebra in 4th grade, though mostly
          pre-algebra. I think the part them I see most difficulties in US is in the
          age group of 12, 13 which is 7th and 8th grade. Especially now that the bar
          is raised in terms of 8th grade proficiency.

          Ahmet

          _____

          > How could we use AI to help math education, especially algebra?
          >
          > I am dissappointed in the fact that US is somewhere between 15 and
          20
          > in the ranking of school math proficiency in the world.
          >
          > It seems to me that the quality of teaching has a lot to do with
          it,
          > along other things. Though there has been attempts in offering
          digital
          > math help and tutoring, I have not seen anything that really is
          > engaging and delivers proven results. For the last couple of
          months I
          > have tested a few of them.
          >
          > I have two school age children, and I am going through the pains
          myself.

          > Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.
          >
          > Ahmet

          Hi!

          "School age" means different things in different countries. I am
          in the UK where "school age" is about 6 to 16 years.

          What age group are you aiming at?

          I may not respond to any new message for about a week, but I will
          definitely try to respond.

          Cheers

          Patrick

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          bscribe>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Dvocha
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 14, 2005
            The math tutoring systems I've come in contact with have been projects by
            and advised by this professor:

            http://www.cs.wpi.edu/~nth/

            Some of the links on that page seem to be out of date, but it still might
            give you an idea where intelligent tutoring systems stand.

            -Dvocha

            > How could we use AI to help math education, especially algebra?
            >
            > I am dissappointed in the fact that US is somewhere between 15 and
            20
            > in the ranking of school math proficiency in the world.
            >
            > It seems to me that the quality of teaching has a lot to do with
            it,
            > along other things. Though there has been attempts in offering
            digital
            > math help and tutoring, I have not seen anything that really is
            > engaging and delivers proven results. For the last couple of
            months I
            > have tested a few of them.
            >
            > I have two school age children, and I am going through the pains
            myself.

            > Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.
            >
            > Ahmet

            Hi!

            "School age" means different things in different countries. I am
            in the UK where "school age" is about 6 to 16 years.

            What age group are you aiming at?

            I may not respond to any new message for about a week, but I will
            definitely try to respond.

            Cheers

            Patrick

            _____