Re: Consciousness Debate

  • Connectionist
    Message 1 of 1398 , Dec 15, 1999
      Whether a computer can experience emotion?
      That's<br>a difficult one, but I suspect that right now
      and<br>for many years to come, one can only expect
      the<br>"simulation" of emotion, i.e. behaviour that will<br>appear to
      us as emotionally-driven, but which in<br>actual
      fact it's only the step-by-step fulfilment<br>of a
      system goal (such as the indication to the<br>human that
      an emotion was felt by the system).<br>So, as I said
      before, the computer can achieve a<br>state of
      "realising" that a situation is not<br>optimal and an
      emotional reaction needs to be<br>actualised (in the form
      of an utterance or a<br>typed message on the screen
      or the adaptation<br>of its goals). But to say that
      it is going to<br>feel "pain" in the way a human
      does is not<br>realistic or doable right
      now.<br><br>My Deutschmark worth ...
      Message 1398 of 1398 , Aug 19, 2005