Re: The World's First Singularity Conference - Sept 12-14

  • Bob Mottram
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
      Does anyone actually believe in trans-humanism? It seems very
      unscientific to me.

      - Bob
    • TyranosaurusBob
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
        Bob,
        I'm with you...just a bit confused.

        Bruce

        Bob Mottram <fuzzgun@...> wrote:

        Does anyone actually believe in trans-humanism? It seems very
        unscientific to me.

        - Bob

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Erik Starck
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
          Bob Mottram wrote:

          >Does anyone actually believe in trans-humanism? It seems very
          >unscientific to me.

          What part of it do you find unscientific?

          Erik
        • Cocoa
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2003
            There seems to be a lot of websites re this:

            http://www.transhumanism.com/

            http://www.transhumanism.org/about.htm

            seems to be a society who are open to new technology
            no matter what (sorry bit generic here), but aren't
            most people as long as they know the
            benefits/downfalls? First question
            which came to mind when reading their declaration ie
            "We seek personal growth beyond our current biological
            limitations" are they willing to be half robot/half
            human in some way in the future?

            --- Bob Mottram <fuzzgun@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone actually believe in trans-humanism? It
            > seems very
            > unscientific to me.
            >
            > - Bob

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • Bob Mottram
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6, 2003
              From what I understand of trans-humanism it sound more like a
              religeon than a science - full of irrational beliefs and
              unsubstantiated claims.

              Take one of the main trans-humanist claims, called "uploading"
              (or "downloading" depending upon which way you look at it). Here you
              are supposed to be able to "upload" the contents of your brain into a
              computer and become in essence a digital being. Where is the actual
              evidence that this can be done? Where are the researchers and the
              papers? Even if it were demonstrated possible would it be
              desirable? I imagine that life stuck inside a computer would be
              pretty dull, and what if the computer crashed, got rebooted or
              suffered from the dreaded bad clusters? The trans-humanists clearly
              havn't thought this one through.

              A related trans-humanism is the old "freeze your head" syndrome.
              Almost unbelievably some seemingly rational people choose to have
              their heads frozen after death in the hope that they may be "revived"
              at some later stage. I must admit that the cryogenics business is a
              bit more scientific than "uploading", but not by much. Even if the
              severed head of a corpse could be revived by some as yet unimagined
              technology what sort of quality of life would it be likely to have?
              Even if they could give you a robotic body you would surely end up
              living the most appalingly degraded existance imagnable.