News from Science & Consciousness Review - Baars and Lutz

  • ramsoy@tiscali.dk
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 2:01 AM
      Dear member of this list,

      Science & Consciousness Review ( http://psych.pomona.edu/scr ) has released
      two new articles and reviews:
      _______________________

      1) EDITORIAL REVIEW --- SIXTH COMMENTARY ON CRICK & KOCH

      Some good things about Crick & Koch’s “Framework for consciousness.”
      By Bernard J. Baars

      Science and Consciousness Review has just published a summary and four
      commentaries about the significant new article by Francis Crick and Christof
      Koch, titled “A framework for consciousness.”

      Most SCR commentaries in this series have been critical. I understand the
      criticisms. What may be lost in the debate, however, is an understanding of
      how far we have come in the scientific study of consciousness, in little
      more than a decade. In my view, Crick and Koch give us a progress report:
      Yes, there are many remaining gaps, but we are consistently learning more
      and more. Consciousness is back on the scientific frontier as a major topic,
      and there are signs of an early consensus on a number of questions.

      Full article:
      http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/editorials/20030303.html
      _______________________

      2) GUEST EDITORIAL

      Neurophenomenology: How to combine subjective experience with brain evidence
      By Antoine Lutz

      In this study we investigated whether refined first-person data from trained
      subjects could be used to guide the detection and interpretation of neural
      processes. This study is an attempt to implement a research program labelled
      « Neurophenomenology » (Varela, 1996). This style of research takes part to
      the recent interest in using introspective phenomenological reports
      phenomenology in studying brain basis of consciousness.

      Full article:
      http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/editorials/20030304.html
      _______________________

      LATEST HEADLINES

      - BOOK REVIEWS: Metapsychology
      - CALL FOR PAPERS: Intersubjectivity and Embodiment
      - Research questions 26-week 'awareness' limit
      - It's not you that makes vision mistakes, it's your brain
      - BOOK REVIEW: Thoughts on thinking
      - Psychophysics: Is subliminal learning really passive?
      _______________________

      SEND YOUR CONTRIBUTION

      For students, teachers, scientists, and all other fans of consciousness...
      Send your news summaries to us.

      See more at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/author_instructions.html

      Sincerely,
      Thomas Zoëga Ramsøy