No Two Words Alike

  • David_Augusto_Villa
    Message 1 of 1398 , Dec 8, 1999
      I think the ideas on Natural Language Processing
      thus far have been interesting. It makes a lot of
      sense to use a representative language to distinguish
      the interpretations of a word before performing a
      translation, and that language could be Esperanto or it could
      just be symbolic. But I don't think that words can
      ever be entirely disambiguated, since ambiguity seems
      to be an inherent quality of language. By applying
      an idea to a novel topic, for instance, people will
      always find new and clever ways to express
      themselves.<br><br>Look up the definition of "anacrusis" and compare the
      meaning for poetry to that for music. If I noted that the
      output state of a sequencer is uncertain during a period
      of anacrusis, then which definition would I be
      using? Clearly the mind works by a process of
      generalization. (Consider that the point is illustrated by
      example.)<br><br>It is because of this, in part, that the nature of
      language is dynamic. By familiarity in different textures,
      one might ascribe one concept to a word which lately
      possessed a different meaning. In addition to just
      reshuffling ideas, new words or additionally enumerated
      meanings are needed to describe entirely new concepts,
      technological or otherwise (e.g. "rollerblades" and
      "grinding"). Sometimes the meaning of an unlisted or
      improperly used word is obvious, and sometimes it
      styles.<br><br>There must be some reason the inverse of a fraction is
      called the "reciprocal", the coordinator of a newscast
      named the "anchor", a quarterback is said to
      "scramble". Wisdom tooth, elbow joint, blind justice...
      somehow the connection is inherent, and the nature of the
      function which preserves this inexplicit relation, nay the
      range itself, is perplexing. There may be an infinite
      number of character strings, but the space of meaning is
      much larger.<br><br>Common words in one language don't
      necessarily mirror those in others. In Spanish "sacar" can
      mean to extract, take out, remove, obtain, withdraw,
      conclude, show, or produce depending on the context, but
      you'll be hard-pressed to find an electronic translator
      that substitutes the word in anything more than common
      phrases, if that. An analogous word in English is "break",
      which probably has more definitions listed than the
      instances in which it's been used. If there is an
      underlying concept then certainly it is much more hazy than
      what can be enumerated.<br><br>And that's just word
      semantics. But perhaps word semantics and phrase semantics
      are principally indistinguishable, since a single
      word can conjure up an entire galaxy of meaning. The
      Chinese use a phrase which literally means to "mop" up a
      situation. Maybe our similar experiences account for the
      resemblance in description. Will AI have to experience the
      world to describe it?<br><br>-David Villa
      Message 1398 of 1398 , Aug 19, 2005