News from Science & Consciousness Review

  • Thomas Zoëga Ramsøy
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 31, 2003
      Dear member of this list,

      Science & Consciousness Review ( http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/ ) has
      released new articles and reviews:
      _____________________

      NEWS ARTICLE

      UNCONSCIOUS STATES CAST LIGHT ON CONSCIOUSNESS
      - Evidence from persistent vegetative states

      By Bernard J Baars

      There are some striking similarities between unconscious states like
      deep sleep, some comas, general anesthesia and the momentary loss of
      consciousness that affects epileptics. These similarities stands in
      sharp contrast to conscious states like waking and classical REM. These
      differences are so obvious that many scientists have thought there must
      be something fundamental about them. Studying unconscious states may be
      very revealing of the nature of consciousness.

      Full text: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20030103.html
      ____________________

      PREVIOUS ARTICLES ON SCR

      Empty mind --- a brain disorder?
      at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20020502.html

      Consciousness Science 2002: past, present and future
      at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/editorials/200205.html

      Touching what is out there
      at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20020903.html

      Pure Consciousness in Meditation and the Self
      at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20020602.html

      ...and much more available through our archive
      at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/archive.html
      ____________________

      LATEST HEADLINES

      - Study shows how the brain pays attention
      - Routes to remembering: the brains behind superior memory
      - EEG and REM vs. NREM sleep
      - BOOK: Strangers to Ourselves: Discovering the Adaptive Unconscious

      Full access at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/more_news.html
      __________________

      NEW FEATURE - PHILOSOPHY AND THEORY OF CONSCIOUSNESS

      SCR is about to launch a new feature for articles on the philosophy and
      theory of consciousness. From the page:

      "SCR is a scientific website, which means that we focus on TESTABLE
      ideas. Some ideas are not testable. But when philosophy or theory can be
      subjected to empirical evidence, we are eager to publish summaries, just
      as we publish summaries of existing scientific articles. Please consider
      sending us your testable ideas! (The great tradition in philosophy
      contains hundreds of empirical ideas...) "

      Send your summaries to the Moderator (ramsoy@...)
      __________________

      Sincerely,

      Thomas Zoëga Ramsøy
      Managing Editor

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 8, 2003
        Dear member of this list,

        Science & Consciousness Review ( http://psych.pomona.edu/scr ) has released
        new articles and reviews:
        _______________________

        EDITORIAL REVIEW --- COMMENTARIES ON CRICK & KOCH

        Crick & Koch's: A new "Framework for Consciousness"
        - By Pradeep Mutalik

        It is not often that a top scientific journal features a lead article on
        consciousness, and we at SCR rejoice to see Francis Crick and Christof
        Koch’s commentary “A Framework for Consciousness,” featured in the February
        2003 issue of Nature Neuroscience. In this article, Pradeep Mutalik reviews
        the recent article by Crick and Koch and their description of ten aspects of
        a framework for the scientific study of consciousness.

        Full text at:
        http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/editorials/20030201.html

        In the next couple of weeks, Science & Consciousness Review will publish
        more editorial commentaries on Crick & Koch's recent article.
        _______________________

        LATEST HEADLINES

        - Scientist bombards brains with super-magnets to edifying effect
        - Mind-the gap, after 65 years: visual conditioning in cortical blindness
        - BOOK: Essential Sources in the Scientific Study of Consciousness
        - Freely available book in Neuropsychology
        - BOOK: Emotions in Humans and Artifacts

        See NEWS IN BRIEF at:
        http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/more_news.html
        _______________________

        PREVIOUS ARTICLES

        The impossibility of not thinking
        at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20020801.html

        Atoms of thought - The microstate hypothesis of conscious states
        at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20021202.html

        An Attention-Based Control Model of Consciousness (CODAM)
        at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20020601.html

        Visit our archives at:
        http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/archive.html
        _______________________

        SEND YOUR CONTRIBUTION

        For students, teachers, scientists, and all other fans of consciousness...
        Send your news summaries to us.

        See more at:
        http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/author_instructions.html

        Sincerely,
        Thomas Zoëga Ramsøy
        _______________________
        Thomas Zoëga Ramsøy
        - Neuropsychologist, MA
        www.ramsoy.dk

        The Lions Collegium
        Tuborgvej 181
        2400 Copenhagen NV
        Denmark

        ramsoy@...
        tzr@...

        Managing Editor
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 17, 2003
          Dear member of this list,

          Science & Consciousness Review ( http://psych.pomona.edu/scr ) has released
          new articles and reviews:
          _______________________

          EDITORIAL REVIEW --- SECOND COMMENTARY ON CRICK & KOCH

          Crick and Koch: A framework with many unknowns
          - By Björn Merker

          The paper by Crick and Koch (featured in the February 2003 issue of Nature
          Neuroscience) presents their updated perspective on the brain in relation to
          consciousness. It may let us gauge what we do not yet know, as much as
          calling attention to some specific proposals. In this week's commentary,
          Björn Merker reviews Crick & Koch's work.

          Full text at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/editorials/20030202.html

          In February, Science & Consciousness Review publishes more editorial
          commentaries on Crick & Koch's recent article.
          _______________________

          LATEST HEADLINES

          - Memory traces unbound
          - Dreaming and Episodic Memory: A Functional Dissociation?
          - BOOK: Being No One. The Self-Model Theory of Subjectivity
          - BOOK: Illusion: The Phenomenal Brain

          See NEWS IN BRIEF at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/more_news.html
          _______________________

          PREVIOUS ARTICLES

          Are we ever unconscious?
          at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20021201.html

          Book Review: “Synaptic Self. How our brains become who we are” by Joseph
          LeDoux
          at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/reviews/20020701.html

          Single neurons track your conscious vision
          at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20020802.html

          Visit our archives at:

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 22, 2003
            Dear member of this list,

            Science & Consciousness Review ( http://psych.pomona.edu/scr ) has released
            new articles and reviews:
            _______________________

            EDITORIAL REVIEW --- THIRD COMMENTARY ON CRICK & KOCH

            The Missing Self, or: 10 Ways How To Be A Zombie
            - by John G. Taylor

            The article by Crick and Koch is undoubtedly a first: for Nature to cave in
            so spectacularly to the so-called ‘Framework’ proffered to them in the name
            of neuroscience. But unfortunately the Framework gets nowhere fast, since it
            has no real teeth to get at the underlying phenomenon of consciousness
            itself. The Framework needs to feel right ‘from the inside’ – consciousness
            is surely about our inner experience

            Full text at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/editorials/20030203.html

            In February, Science & Consciousness Review publishes editorial commentaries
            on Crick & Koch's recent article in Nature Neuroscience.
            _______________________

            LATEST HEADLINES

            - Neuronal synchrony does not correlate with motion coherence in cortical
            area MT
            - Multiple routes to memory
            - Mapping the brain
            - Brain imaging study sheds light on inner workings of human intelligence

            See NEWS IN BRIEF at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/more_news.html
            _______________________

            PREVIOUS ARTICLES

            Integration in the brain
            at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20021002.html

            Automaticity, unconsciousness and speech production
            at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20020501.html

          • Drnath <stargate777yyy@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 27, 2003
              thanks for the information
              i did found the links interesting ,this site has a usefull database
              and i took the liberty to bookmark it under the neurologic section of
              my study group
              thank again
              -
              -- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Zoëga

            • ramsoy@tiscali.dk
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 5, 2003
                Dear member of this list,

                Science & Consciousness Review ( http://psych.pomona.edu/scr ) has released
                new articles and reviews:
                _______________________

                EDITORIAL REVIEW --- FOURTH COMMENTARY ON CRICK & KOCH

                A computer-based model of Crick and Koch’s Framework for Consciousness
                By Stan Franklin

                "Crick and Koch explain that a framework must not be confused with a set of
                hypotheses. Rather a framework for consciousness offers a point of view from
                which to address the problems of consciousness. It’s intended to guide
                research. A good framework should fit within current scientific knowledge
                reasonably well and should be roughly correct." In this fourth commentary on
                the Crick & Koch framework article, Stan Franklin implements their views in
                Artificial Intelligence.

                Full text at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/editorials/20030301.html

                *** In February and March 2003, Science & Consciousness Review publishes
                editorial commentaries
                on Crick & Koch's recent article in Nature Neuroscience.
                _______________________

                LATEST HEADLINES

                - Memory for rejected distractors in visual search?
                - Using inattentional blindness as an operational definition of unattended:
                The case of surface completion
                - BOOK: Attention and Implicit Learning
                - BOOK REVIEWS From Metapsychology
                - Love arises in the unconscious

                See NEWS IN BRIEF at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/more_news.html
                _______________________

                PREVIOUS ARTICLES

                Consciousness lost: The lightning storm of seizures
                at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20030102.html

                Changing or escaping the self
                at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20030101.html

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 19, 2003
                  Science & Consciousness Review ( http://psych.pomona.edu/scr ) has released
                  new articles and reviews:
                  _______________________

                  EDITORIAL REVIEW --- FIFTH COMMENTARY ON CRICK & KOCH

                  The 10 point framework and the altogether too hard basket
                  - By Colin Hales

                  The large footprints of the Crick/Koch duo at the frontier of knowledge can
                  be a little daunting, which is why I was concerned at the very first
                  paragraph of “A Framework for Consciousness” (1). It says that qualia are
                  too hard and ‘it appears fruitless to approach them head on’. Qualia are
                  then tacitly assumed emergent from the framework presented. I know the work
                  is entitled ‘A’ framework, not ‘The’ framework, but from Crick and Koch it
                  read a little like “Qualia cannot be approached from outside the framework”.
                  I don’t think this was the intent, but it may be that the plausible
                  explanation they need is stopped by the framework.

                  Full text at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/editorials/20030302.html

                  See more commentaries of the Crick & Koch article at:
                  http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/ww_framework.html
                  _______________________

                  LATEST HEADLINES

                  - NEW ISSUE - TICS
                  - Psychology professor maps choice-making in the brain
                  - Do dogs have minds?
                  - Developmental prosopagnosia: A study of three patients
                  - The three vectors of consciousness and their disturbances after brain
                  injury

                  See NEWS IN BRIEF at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/more_news.html

                  ALL PREVIOUS ARTICLES ARE FREELY AVAILABLE IN OUR ARCHIVE!

                  Visit our archives at: