Re: [Artificial Intelligence Group] What language?

  • Alan Grimes
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 26, 2003
      For AI you need a deep understanding of programming:

      You should learn:

      1. Object oriented paradigm with www.squeak.org.
      2. Logic programming including prolog.
      3. classic structured programming with Pascal.
      4. Functional programming, unlambda, lisp,
      5. Abstraction based programming, esp Forth.

      Only when you are familiar with all these paradigms will you have a good
      picture of what computation really is.

      --
      I WANT A DEC ALPHA!!! =)
      21364: THE UNDISPUTED GOD OF ALL CPUS.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 26, 2003
        Forget prolog, unlambda, lisp and forth. There is very little
        support for these languages, and I'm prepared to bet they don't
        support modern APIs such as DirectX and the MS speech SDK.

        To start with learn some more mainstream languages - visual basic and
        C++ (I'd recommend either VC++ for windows or Kdevelop for linux).
        Pascal is good for learning structure programming methods.

        Java is a good language, very similar to C++, but looking to the
        longer term it looks as if MS is determined not to support it unless
        they're legally compelled to do so. I've experimented with Java, but
        found it pretty useless for machine vision applications (doesn't
        support DirectShow).

        Whatever your preferred choice of language all computer languages
        work in basically the same way, its just that some are more suited
        for specific types of application than others.

        - Bob

        --- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, Alan Grimes

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 26, 2003
          Bob Mottram wrote:
          > Forget prolog, unlambda, lisp and forth. There is very little
          > support for these languages, and I'm prepared to bet they don't
          > support modern APIs such as DirectX and the MS speech SDK.

          Its about your mind not the damn API fad of the week.

          > To start with learn some more mainstream languages - visual basic and
          > C++ (I'd recommend either VC++ for windows or Kdevelop for linux).

          C++ sucks.

          > Pascal is good for learning structure programming methods.

          > Java is a good language, very similar to C++, but looking to the
          > longer term it looks as if MS is determined not to support it unless
          > they're legally compelled to do so. I've experimented with Java, but
          > found it pretty useless for machine vision applications (doesn't
          > support DirectShow).

          hmpf.
          Java is a fairly decient language which is akin to Squeak/Smalltalk80.
          Squeak is still better, it is an astonishingly good development
          environment. More importantly than that, it is the purest expression of
          the concepts behind OOP. Again, I'm not proposing that you use any of
          these languages but rather you use them to improve your thinking about
          computation and the problems of AI.

          > Whatever your preferred choice of language all computer languages
          > work in basically the same way, its just that some are more suited
          > for specific types of application than others.

          That is wrong.
          All full programming languages do the same thing: allow the programmer
          to specify computations.

          However the ways that this is done are dramaticly different... The point
          of learning the paradigms I mentioned is that through them you will be
          able to get a better appreciation for the concepts underneith all of
          them. Think of them as peepholes into a world...

          Ofcourse, in the brain, we find a system which takes sensory data and
          motor feedback to create complex and interesting chains of motor
          behavior. This will require the designer to write a program good enough
          to write any other program. ;) To do this, I beleive, a thourough
          understanding of computation is required.

          --
          I WANT A DEC ALPHA!!! =)
          21364: THE UNDISPUTED GOD OF ALL CPUS.
          http://users.rcn.com/alangrimes/
          [if rcn.com doesn't work, try erols.com ]
        • predictorx
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 27, 2003
            In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, Alan Grimes wrote:
            "For AI you need a deep understanding of programming:

            You should learn:

            1. Object oriented paradigm with www.squeak.org.
            2. Logic programming including prolog.
            3. classic structured programming with Pascal.
            4. Functional programming, unlambda, lisp,
            5. Abstraction based programming, esp Forth.

            Only when you are familiar with all these paradigms
            will you have a good
            picture of what computation really is."

            I agree that a broader understanding of computer science and realted
            subjects is useful in A.I., but I think the above requirements put the
            cart before the horse. What if this fellow was interested in, for
            instance, neural networks. Sure, any of the languages above could
            simulate a neural network, but not all with terrific efficiency.
            MATLAB, for example, might be a more natural choice. And why all 5
            of these languages?